Horrible offensive pass interference call upheld by replay. NFL don't care. (1 Viewer)

I'm watching this season under protest. I hope Goodell dares to show up for the MNF season opener. Please show him on the big screen every third down. Dome will go nuts.

As OP, I'm gonna say maybe the original tweets jumped the gun.

The new angles def show a push off and a flag being thrown before the contact at the ball.

They need to be quicker than this, it blew up fast.

Before we get too far down this rabbit hole of complaints, I believe that everyone is missing what the call was about. It appears most people think the call is about making a play on the ball. It clearly isn't. It clearly was something that happened before that point (which they never replay), a push-off for separation I presume.

The ref is already reaching and throwing the flag before contact or an effort is even made. It's well out and cocked when first contact is made on the image below.

Doesn't mean the refs/Riveron won't screw up plenty of things. But I think the All-22 video might be worth seeing in this case.
----------

Edit: NFL Officiating confirmed that: The on-field officials called OPI for a push off by WAS 13 at the 50-yard line, well before he jumped to catch the ball. There was no clear and obvious visual evidence from the available broadcast video that the ruling was incorrect, so the on-field ruling stands.

The refs are going to screw up. But given where the flag was thrown and when it was thrown, it was pretty obvious right of the bat the OPI call wasn't about the catch attempt. Add in a preseason non-national TV game and the reaction goes viral. Who knows if it was the right call even now (video is grainy, and it's possible there was a worthy enough push...maybe), but it clearly wasn't about the catch attempt.

Party pooper!

Wet blanket.

Kill joy.

Grinch.

You, you, you... marplot!

:hihi:

I called an old buddy of mine today, "Big Daddy Fred" was his user name here. He had 4 season tickets in the 211 area. I would usually buy one set from him to take the family to a game. He told me today that he told the NFL to stick them where the sun don't shine because of the no call. I still love the saints and the city, if anyone has 3 or 4 tix they will be selling in late Nov., or Dec. I would be interested in buying them. Trying to do my part I informed my wife, son and daughter I don't want any more NFL licensed merchandise. The underground, knock off stuff is fine.

As OP, I'm gonna say maybe the original tweets jumped the gun.

The new angles def show a push off and a flag being thrown before the contact at the ball.

They need to be quicker than this, it blew up fast.

OP, mind editing the original post with an update so more people don't keep replying to this negatively.

Always look at where they throw the flag. People are overreacting over nothing. The call obviously had to do with something that happened during the route that wasn't shown on TV. This is the media and fans being dumb.
Remember what happened to us against the Rams. If we’re overreacting, it’s because they made it possible.

Reviewing PI will never work. In slow motion every play is a PI.

The solution to the nfl should be to let player play. Only penalty for flagrantly not letting the oponnent play or putting other players healthy in danger.

Everything else should be allowed.

It happened against us as well last week.

What's the point of the rule if our officials are too egotistical to overturn there obvious screw up.

It's starting to seem as if the rule change was just a PR move on paper.

Kind of like that law that states you have to be in the Right Lane at all times unless passing or turning. Yes it's a law but it's only enforced when it gives an officer an excuse to pull someone over to check there car for contraband.

Just like with the referees, they are only going to change the call when it benefits the "Ratings"

Before we get too far down this rabbit hole of complaints, I believe that everyone is missing what the call was about. It appears most people think the call is about making a play on the ball. It clearly isn't. It clearly was something that happened before that point (which they never replay), a push-off for separation I presume.

The ref is already reaching and throwing the flag before contact or an effort is even made. It's well out and cocked when first contact is made on the image below.

Doesn't mean the refs/Riveron won't screw up plenty of things. But I think the All-22 video might be worth seeing in this case.
----------

Edit: NFL Officiating confirmed that: The on-field officials called OPI for a push off by WAS 13 at the 50-yard line, well before he jumped to catch the ball. There was no clear and obvious visual evidence from the available broadcast video that the ruling was incorrect, so the on-field ruling stands.

The refs are going to screw up. But given where the flag was thrown and when it was thrown, it was pretty obvious right of the bat the OPI call wasn't about the catch attempt. Add in a preseason non-national TV game and the reaction goes viral. Who knows if it was the right call even now (video is grainy, and it's possible there was a worthy enough push...maybe), but it clearly wasn't about the catch attempt.

Great pick-up. We are quick to judge. But clearly the referee WAS indeed starting to throw his flag before the Bengal player collided with the DC player. Perhaps the refs need to be more specific when giving the call - "hey, the dude pushed off well before the ball was thrown so settle down". I'm going to post some videos on two sports that use replay and do it in the open, not behind some secret veil and they don't take twenty minutes to determine things either: Rugby and Cricket.

I still think the big picture we need to look at is are the refs calling the game the same way for both teams? Being a Saints' fan since 1970 I think the league, through the refs, decides games through calls. Having said that, I couldn't see the push off for the OPI, but I think the defender was guilty also. He clearly was not playing the ball and impeded the receiver's path to the ball.

Anyone who thinks the PI rule change will make the game better is fooling him/her self. Purely PR move by the league. Review or not, the league still decides what the call is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom