Horrible "singing" of the National Anthem (1 Viewer)

IMHO that's exactly how it was yesterday.. my family and I like to sing along with it, and you couldn't because the tempo and pauses were all different.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I am a big hockey fan as well and if you ever watch a game broadcast out of Canada it will send chills down your spine if they televise the singing of O Canada. The singer sings the first verse or so with the crowd singing and then the entire crowd sings the rest.. just about every person and player sings and sings loudly and proudly without the words on the scoreboard. I wish it was more like that here...

Oh YES!! I think that's where my real appreciation of singing along came from. Everyone sings along, and PROUDLY. I actually know all the words to "Oh Canada" from watching hockey. By the end of O Canada everyone is singing along and you can't even hear the anthem singer; "Oh, Canada, we stand on guard for thee!" -- beautiful.

Oh YES!! I think that's where my real appreciation of singing along came from. Everyone sings along, and PROUDLY. I actually know all the words to "Oh Canada" from watching hockey. By the end of O Canada everyone is singing along and you can't even hear the anthem singer; "Oh, Canada, we stand on guard for thee!" -- beautiful.

A hockey fan..... I like you more already!! haha and it truly is amazing to watch and hear

They don't play the Anthem so much on tv anymore, so I missed it. They don't even spare the viewer a commercial when the instant replay official goes "under the hood" anymore either. It's all about the money. You paid for that rendition since you went to the game. It's your money. I got a quick half-cigarette break. The networks, and it's all of 'em, are in it for the money. Hell, even during a :30 second timeout yesterday CBS went to a commercial. WWL 870am must be going global with their commercial reach or something.

:shrug:

TPS

They don't play the Anthem so much on tv anymore, so I missed it. They don't even spare the viewer a commercial when the instant replay official goes "under the hood" anymore either. It's all about the money. You paid for that rendition since you went to the game. It's your money. I got a quick half-cigarette break. The networks, and it's all of 'em, are in it for the money. Hell, even during a :30 second timeout yesterday CBS went to a commercial. WWL 870am must be going global with their commercial reach or something.

:shrug:

TPS

It def. seemed like the game was really choppy yesterday with timeouts. I know that happens when alot of points are scored, but it seems like every few minutes the TV timeout guy was on the field with his ugly orange oven mits.

I am tired of the different versions of the National anthem. Sing it right, or don't sing it at all. Next, they'll be doing "rap" versions.

BTW.
What's the deal with smoking in the bathrooms during the game? Is the dome not a smokefree facility, as the signs say?
When I walked in I almost couldn't catch my breath. Even the smokers were complaining about the smoke!

Last edited:
This is the United States of America. Since when are we a country about singing the Star Spangled Banner a "certain way?" We are about freedom and liberty - not about dictating how a song should be sung. Eveyone else seemed to like the way it was sung. My wife thought the blue dress the chick was wearing was disgusting - but not the singing.

Yes this is the United States of America, which allows Keepoursaints to express his opinion about the anthem and your wife to express her opinion about the awful blue dress.

Just for the record, I prefer traditional renditions. The anthem should not be about individuality, but she about singing to honor our country, not oneself. See, there goes another opinion.

Yes this is the United States of America, which allows Keepoursaints to express his opinion about the anthem and your wife to express her opinion about the awful blue dress.

Just for the record, I prefer traditional renditions. The anthem should not be about individuality, but she about singing to honor our country, not oneself. See, there goes another opinion.

I think the founders of this great country would find a whole lot of humor in this discussion, since the lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner was set to the tune of a very popular English drinking song! There's a reason they set political songs to the tune of tavern drinking songs.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think that the tune is important... it's the words that are important. The Star Spangled Banner wasn't even adopted as the National Anthem until 1931, some 117 years after it was written. It was adopted two years before prohibition ended, does anyone see the irony here?

But for those of you who are not afraid to "buck" tradition, check out this rendition of the National Athem: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4980626658551413306

I've heard some bad versions, but yesterday's was not one of them. I rarely take notice of who is singing the anthem, but I did yesterday and thought it one of the most moving renditions I've ever heard.

BTW, one of the problems is that we have a bad national anthem (it's an old English drinking song, for heaven's sake). Much prefer GBA. Should switch.

+1, Syracuse. Too many national anthem singers seem to think they're on "Starsearch". I was in the concourse when the anthem started yesterday, so I put down my BBQ rib sandwiches, took off my do-rag, put it over my heart and attempted to sing the song, while hoping others around would also respectfully stop and join the anthem.
I could barely hear from the concourse, so I just tried to sing based on the natural cadence of the song. Unfortunately the song was so bastageized, I couldnt figure out when all the moaning and groaning was going to end so I couldnt keep up. Holy Cow! Some things should be sacred.

should have brought in this guy!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/83xdfHL9nj8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/83xdfHL9nj8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's exactly what I was trying to say, but said so much better.

Thank you.

i complete agree, its like changing the colors of the flad to green, yellow, and orange.

Presonally, I'd like to see people stop singing the anthem at sporting events, no singer can ever come close to having the national anthem played by the LSU or Southern marching bands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom