Horrible "singing" of the National Anthem (1 Viewer)

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know I can't be the only one that was disgusted with the singing of the Anthem before the game yesterday. Sing the song like it's supposed to be sung or go write your own version........ my God that was a disgrace. I hope they are never invited to sing the Anthem again at any public place.

/just a change of pace thread and I searched and didn't find anything about this already.

For a while, I thought the woman on the left was singing. That guy in the middle has some pipes. Sometimes it bothers me when someone tries to over-embellish the song. Yesterday, it didn't.

guess I'm into the traditional singing of the song.. and it wasn't like that yesterday, but we each have our own tastes and I hope I don't have to endure that from them again.

I agree the guy had a good voice, but to me some people take advantage of the stage to try to outshine the song and that's not what that song is all about.

I know I can't be the only one that was disgusted with the singing of the Anthem before the game yesterday. Sing the song like it's supposed to be sung or go write your own version........ my God that was a disgrace. I hope they are never invited to sing the Anthem again at any public place.

/just a change of pace thread and I searched and didn't find anything about this already.

This is the United States of America. Since when are we a country about singing the Star Spangled Banner a "certain way?" We are about freedom and liberty - not about dictating how a song should be sung. Eveyone else seemed to like the way it was sung. My wife thought the blue dress the chick was wearing was disgusting - but not the singing.

I enjoyed it. The only thing I didnt enjoy was the group of Baltimore fans who shouted "O" during "O say does that star spangled banner still wave", since thats what they do at Orioles (O's) games.

I stand corrected that I may be in the minority, but I still didn't like it and neither did the people around me. Oh well no biggie. I'm just not into people doing their American Idol auditions during that one song... any others and I could care less.

I thought it was really good. It was a little rough at first, I think they were having some monitor woes... The last 2/3 of it was excellent, imho

I stand corrected that I may be in the minority, but I still didn't like it and neither did the people around me. Oh well no biggie. I'm just not into people doing their American Idol auditions during that one song... any others and I could care less.

For what it's worth, I agree totally with you. I hate it when people try to make the National Anthem "their own." Sure, we are about freedom. But with freedom comes repsonsibility, and citizens have a responsibility to respect our nation's traditions. One should show some respect when singing the Star Spangled Banner, not use the honor of getting to sing it in public to change it to suit their personal style.

For what it's worth, I agree totally with you. I hate it when people try to make the National Anthem "their own." Sure, we are about freedom. But with freedom comes repsonsibility, and citizens have a responsibility to respect our nation's traditions. One should show some respect when singing the Star Spangled Banner, not use the honor of getting to sing it in public to change it to suit their personal style.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, but said so much better.

Thank you.

I didn't hear it, but that's sort of how I feel....I've heard some "interpretations" of the NA that I really enjoyed, but there are times when some get too creative and turn it into 'vocal acrobatics', a la an AI audition. Plus, many like to sing along with the National Anthem, and if it's sung too "creatively", then it's impossible for those who like to show their patriotism by singing along. Overall I like it to be sung like it's written.

While we're on the subject, anyone know how someone auditions to sing the anthem at the games? I'd love for Drew to send a tape in...professional opera singer, got his start as an intern with New Orleans Opera....they'd go for that, I think? He'd have to wear a sr.com shirt while he's singing it, however! :bandg:

I didn't hear it, but that's sort of how I feel....I've heard some "interpretations" of the NA that I really enjoyed, but there are times when some get too creative and turn it into 'vocal acrobatics', a la an AI audition. Plus, many like to sing along with the National Anthem, and if it's sung too "creatively", then it's impossible for those who like to show their patriotism by singing along. Overall I like it to be sung like it's written.

IMHO that's exactly how it was yesterday.. my family and I like to sing along with it, and you couldn't because the tempo and pauses were all different.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I am a big hockey fan as well and if you ever watch a game broadcast out of Canada it will send chills down your spine if they televise the singing of O Canada. The singer sings the first verse or so with the crowd singing and then the entire crowd sings the rest.. just about every person and player sings and sings loudly and proudly without the words on the scoreboard. I wish it was more like that here...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom