Horse vs Dog. Horse wins. (1 Viewer)

staphory

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have a dog (Bo) that has picked up a bad habit. He likes to chase our horses.
He won't go down in the field to harass them, he waits until feeding time to do it. If he can be caught before he gets started then there isn't a problem. About two months ago I bought a shock collar to put on him before feeding time. It listens for him to bark then emits a tone then eventually will give him a small shock if he doesn't stop. Some consider it cruel but it's much better than what happened today.
I was out on the mower when my mom went out to feed the horses. She's much too lazy to bother with the collar every day so Bo didn't have it on today. The horses came up and were eating when Bo saw them. He immediatly went to chasing and barking at the top of his voice. My mom said she looked away for a few seconds and turned around in time to see Bo flying through the air. He had gotten one of the horses into a corner and she apparantly charged him. Anyway, my mom said he landed pretty hard. She got my attention and pointed toward the ground. He was lying there and apeared to be having a seizure. I stopped what I was doing and went over to him while my mom decided to try to call the local vet.
When I got to him he was on his side, unconcious, and gasping for breath. His rear legs were twitching a bit and his toungue was hanging out of his mouth. When I put my hand on him he stopped twitching and his breathing turned into heavy panting. After a few minutes he opened his eyes and tried to look at me, his right eye would point at me but his left eye would just rotate down until all I could see was the white part. I started trying to find any indication of bleeding or broken bones but found nothing. After about 15 minutes he was able to get up.
He took a few steps, lost control of his bladder, then fell right into his own urine. He got up and walked (rather unsteadily) to the house. He laid down there and I noticed that his breathing seemed normal. His eyes seemed normal again as well. After a few more minutes he got up and seemed more in control of himself. Now, about four hours later, he seems just fine. He is just very lucky to be alive.
The vet? She said to watch him. Other than that she said there was nothing to do. Told my mom that she would rather not fool with dogs. Horses and cattle are her thing.
I hope Bo knows now.

Staphory, their was a huge freakish looking male Doberman Pincer named Tank that would take your horse with a bit more of a challenge. I saw this Big fella in Mandeville on the Buttons visit 2 weeks ago at the Vet and this guy could eat me if I made him angry or slightly annoyed. This dog was not not one to be messed with or taken lightly, he weighed over 150-175 pounds and when he walked on the floor, it felt like the pavement shook .

Ungodly huge animal, IMO

Staphory, their was a huge freakish looking male Doberman Pincer named Tank that would take your horse with a bit more of a challenge. I saw this Big fella in Mandeville on the Buttons visit 2 weeks ago at the Vet and this guy could eat me if I made him angry or slightly annoyed. This dog was not not one to be messed with or taken lightly, he weighed over 150-175 pounds and when he walked on the floor, it felt like the pavement shook .

Ungodly huge animal, IMO
I'm doubting it. All it takes is for the horse to make good contact once. If the horse can do that it's game over.
Bo knows.

I'm doubting it. All it takes is for the horse to make good contact once. If the horse can do that it's game over.
Bo knows.

I'm glad he's okay, and I hope he has learned a lesson.

I can't imagine what I'd do if I saw my dog going through that.

If you had only seen this dog yourself, staphory. Their is a good reason why his owners called him Tank because he looks like an Bradley Tank barreling across the sidewalk and passer byes in cars looking in complete shock that a dog could be his size, when Tank stood up on his hind legs, he was taller then me, and I'm about 6"4-6"5, and weigh about 275 pounds. Now take that into consideration if you will, staphory, how many dogs, especially Doberman's, can grow to weigh close to 170 pounds, and be about 6"7 maybe even 6"8 at the most extreme standing on their hind legs That's one hell of a big dog, using the word hell three times more as a bigger exclamation point. Tank was what his name implied him to be, he looked like a damn tank dog born as a puppy and then never stopped growing until his genes said so.

If you had only seen this dog yourself, staphory. Their is a good reason why his owners called him Tank because he looks like an Bradley Tank barreling across the sidewalk and passer byes in cars looking in complete shock that a dog could be his size, when Tank stood up on his hind legs, he was taller then me, and I'm about 6"4-6"5, and weigh about 275 pounds. Now take that into consideration if you will, staphory, how many dogs, especially Doberman's, can grow to weigh close to 170 pounds, and be about 6"7 maybe even 6"8 at the most extreme standing on their hind legs That's one hell of a big dog, using the word hell three times more as a bigger exclamation point. Tank was what his name implied him to be, he looked like a damn tank dog born as a puppy and then never stopped growing until his genes said so.

Horses are over 1000 pounds.

Glad to hear your dog is ok, my cocker had the same habit so we make sure he goes nowhere near horses.

When I was about 15 we were in the pasture hitting fly balls. My lab would always stand about 10 feet behind me until I hit the ball then would try to chase it down. Well that afternoon he tried to take a short cut, when I threw the ball up to hit it he came running up and tried to catch it just in time for me to hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat. He basically did a front flip and went into a seizure. I was scared to death that I killed my dog but like yours he was out of it for a couple hours before slowly going back to normal.

I must say I thought this story was going to end sad, but I'm glad to the dog is doing better. Hope he learned his lesson!

I absolutely love dogs, but they are some of the dumbest ****ing animals on the planet. I'm glad yours is doing well, Staph.

Darwin almost wins again...

I LOL at the story -- sorry about that.

(I hate barking dogs...only in America have do we have a population willing to put up with annoying dogs).

Saintman, i'd have to disagree, seen a dog in the pound that was mixed Pitt and MASTIFF, not bullmastif, but full size mastiff.. that dog's head was size of a basketball. bet that dog was over 200Lb looking at him, nothing but solid.. doberman, are usually thin. Granted, a king doberman with mastiff could be rather Huge.

some dogs aren't smart enough vs horses.. but 77Lb dog can take down a 1300 Lb BULL.
same dog had left one of her teeth in a horse's nose at one point.. Smart enough to not get close to their legs though. especially, the rear legs gave them pleanty of distance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom