House Flooring Help (1 Viewer)

msu_cannon

Token White Guy
Reaction score
Just bought a house in Kennabruh. Wanna pull up carpet and replace with ceramic tile in a few rooms. Any recommendations on contractors who do good work at a resonable price?

BTW approx 455 sq ft that we wanna have done. I don't know how much it will cost per sq ft...anyone have a ballpark estimate what kinda price I'm looking at?

Just bought a house in Kennabruh. Wanna pull up carpet and replace with ceramic tile in a few rooms. Any recommendations on contractors who do good work at a resonable price?

BTW approx 455 sq ft that we wanna have done. I don't know how much it will cost per sq ft...anyone have a ballpark estimate what kinda price I'm looking at?

It really depends on the type of tile, shape of the room, and what the floor is like under the carpet. If it is pretty standard 12x12 tile, the room is relatively square (odd shapes means a lot of tough cuts), and the subfloor is pretty level...oh and if you are pulling the carpet yourself, though sometimes a floor guy will throw it in for a small job (if you do it yourself cut it in 4ftx4ft squares or the trash might not pick it up); I would say 2-2.50 a sqf. For the labor (without being in the area to know the current market). A good floor guy is worth the extra money.

You can find tile as cheap as .60 per sq or you can pay 5$ per sq. it really depends on what you are looking for.

I wish I could help with a floor guy. I used to do floors in grad school but that was 7 years ago and I have been out of contract with that community in the area since.

One piece of advice that I give everyone. Most contract guys want a deposit which is standard, but those guys are always looking for the next job. Sometimes they will tell you that they are almost done and would like the balance to pay their workers or whatever. Don't pay them in full until you are completely satisfied with the work. I have seen many people get burned on a 90% done job.

Last edited:
Tile is super easy. Just do it yourself and save a lot of money. Then you can splurge a bit on better materials and still come out ahead.

Tile is super easy. Just do it yourself and save a lot of money. Then you can splurge a bit on better materials and still come out ahead.

It is not bad once you do it, but it is not really that easy for someone with no guidance and you need tools that many may not have (like a chalk line, tile saw/grinder). You also need to mix mortar and grout which can be frustrating and messy for someone who is new.

That said I would hang around and watch. You can pickup a ton of knowledge by just watching. I would let the guy know that you are interested in learning and not hawking over his work from the start. Most guys are cool with that if you are not overbearing.

Last edited:
It is not bad once you do it, but it is not really that easy for someone with no guidance and you need tools that many may not have (like a chalk line, tile saw/grinder). You also need to mix mortar and grout which can be frustrating and messy for someone who is new.

That said I would hang around and watch. You can pickup a ton of knowledge by just watching. I would let the guy know that you are interested in learning and not hawking over his work from the start. Most guys are cool with that if you are not overbearing.

It's really easy. As far as home improvement projects go, it's pretty much one of the easiet things you can do yourself. A chalk line is a couple of bucks and you can rent a saw from the hardware store. The hardest part is starting in the right spot. After that, it flows pretty easy. Mixing mortar and grout is not complicated at all. I'll give you that grouting is messy, so maybe that would deter some people, but if you want nicer things in your home, it pays to do the labor yourself and buy better materials. If you are interested in learning somewhere, tile is a good place to start, in my opinion.

As far as looking for a cheap installer, check the want ads instead of the yellow pages. You will find cheaper labor. Flooring stores will charge you more than a Mom and Pop contractor.

What type of subfloor? Slab, plywood?

If it's a slab and the slab is clean after carpet, $2-3 per sq ft on the install. If you've got an elevated floor with plywood or other material, you'll need to make sure it's not flexible at all by reinforcing if necessary. Then, you'll need to float the floor and install a cementitious backer like Hardie or Durock. Figure $1 per sq ft on the backer plus the tile install.

I'd go to the flooring place and have them install it of suggest someone reputable and like Rugger said don't pay until they're done. On a small job, it shouldn't take 2 days. Give them 40% or so when they show up to start and the rest when it's 100% done. Provide the tile yourself and have the setter provide all his setting material.

What about using ditra for sinking homes? If you just put the tile on the concrete slab won't it be more likely to crack as the home settles more?

Do it yourself and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Plus you'll save money. Most importantly you'll prolly do it better. You know the saying... Want something done right do it yourself.

Sat take a ride to Home Depot on Vets. You will find some installers along with ur tile.

Or there are some other flooring places on W. Esplanade/ Williams and just go thru them.

You mean some day laborer installers? My wife wants the ceramic wood looking tile installed.

You mean some day laborer installers? My wife wants the ceramic wood looking tile installed.

I was checking some of that out the other day. You friend just put some bamboo floor down a few months ago and then got hit by the tornado in Kenner a couple weeks ago. Needless to say his new floor was ruined, so he wants to go with tile. I was trying to convince him to go with the wood tile since he likes the wood floor look. Not sure if he made up his mind yet or not.

If you want it to look like wood and you also want to be able to install it yourself without much floor prep you should consider using a resiliant vinyl that snaps together like resista. It's about $3.50 per foot and just about any moron can install it including me if I so choose. It's essentially bullet proof and it can be picked up and reinstalled if you ever need. I've used it in retail stores, houses and bars and while some of it looks kind of fake there are a couple that are almost impossible to tell aren't wood.

Oh, and if you have any skills at all you ought to be able to install the 450 sq ft in a day. 2 at max with beer.

Luxury Vinyl Tile | Prosource Flooring

resiliant vinyl that snaps together like resista.
Luxury Vinyl Tile | Prosource Flooring

So, those snap together and make a floating floor. How will that work on large areas? If I pull up the wood that's there now, and find a not-so-level slab, will it bounce? (If I have to do the whole concrete-thing to level, I might stick with concrete/skimstone.)

Thanks.

So, those snap together and make a floating floor. How will that work on large areas? If I pull up the wood that's there now, and find a not-so-level slab, will it bounce? (If I have to do the whole concrete-thing to level, I might stick with concrete/skimstone.)

Thanks.

That specific vinyl is tough stuff. It's very heavy and has a fiberglass matting and I think rubber, as well. It's not like a laminate floor where you'll hear or feel it being hollow.

It's actually designed to go over a pretty rough slab and as I recall it can handle a 1/4" gap without showing through. It is nothing like the sheet vinyl that you'd have to float out the whole floor unless you've got big cracks/holes.

Honestly, you could lay it right over the existing wood if you wanted to and not do any demo unless the wood is literally falling apart. With the backing and locking, it's pretty near a vapor retarding barrier, as well.

I believe it's exclusive to ProSource at this time so if you've got one in your area, go check it out. It's impressive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom