House of the Dragon teaser trailer (GoT prequel) (1 Viewer)

Some additional context to the nudity - I think HBO has pretty consistently front-loaded new shows with gratuituos nudity to lure people (men) into watching them. Once they're hooked, the nudity begins to taper off.

Because HOTD already had the GOT audience, they didn't have to have as much gratuitous nudity. But they definitely made sure to have some in Ep. 1 to make sure you were tuning in.
the writers for HotD have discussed taking a more equitable approach in regards to gender
i think both of Rhaenyra's sex scenes show a much more female centered pov (where the woman's pleasure/perspective is the one highlighted more than the audience's)

the writers for HotD have discussed taking a more equitable approach in regards to gender
i think both of Rhaenyra's sex scenes show a much more female centered pov (where the woman's pleasure/perspective is the one highlighted more than the audience's)
I actually liked that they highlighted Rhaenyra's perspective. Variety is the spice of life. :9:

understandable - and i'm kind of the same (i had much trouble with the birthing scenes)
but if we're all like "omg red wedding is amazing" or "the mountains popping out the viper's eyes was brutal/cool" but "ew, birth" - that kinda gets to the point i'm trying to make

I am very bro-y but to me even the goriest parts of GOT were still in service of the plot* and creating motives for future actions, etc. In HOTD 20 minutes of childbirth in the final episode seemed like gore for gore's sake and/or a distraction from the plot to Send A Message. What did we learn from her graphic stillbirth that we didn't already know from her first graphic childbirth scene? Childbirth can be insanely hard? Women have it worse than men? Noted. That's what I mean by homework - I felt like we had to sit through the PSA in order to get back to the plot.

But like I said, I am bro-y.

* The Red Wedding shifted the entire storyline. The Mountain vs. The Viper changes Tyrion's path dramatically once he 'lost' the trial.

Last edited:
That might be a factor for some.
of course i'm not saying whether you are or not - just playing devil's advocate
we don't often know what our perspectives are until we are shown another - like a white person who's only ever watched stories of primarily white people might not even know how white their stories are until the see more diverse casting/stories

we've all been raised mostly with men telling stories from male povs - when we see something different, it's natural to have a "hey, that's not stories go" reaction
again not saying anyone is doing this, just saying stuff

I don't disagree at all. I think your statement and my statement are both true.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom