Houseboats (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
aright, so i doubt anything will ever come of this, but i got to thinkin...

so those who are following know that i am now commuting to the Northshore to teach, all is well with that - drive is easy enough, i really like the school, et al

BUT there will be times likes production week where i will NOT want to drive home at 10 or 11 at night just to get back up at 5
this wouldn't happen nearly enough to rent a studio or the like, but i was thinking "what if i get a Camper for such nights, and then the boys and I could take trips as well"? I like this idea (relatively close to Fairview-Riverside park and I think they have hookups)
THEN
I was like...'ooohhhhhh, a houseboat would be super fun'
in theory at least - i actually have no idea about maintaining a houseboat and whether or not the actuality would be super fun or even just a little bit of fun
like what's upkeep like? is there a place to dock on the Tchefuncte other than that super expensive looking marina in mandeville?
etc
etc

so those who are following know that i am now commuting to the Northshore to teach, all is well with that - drive is easy enough, i really like the school, et al

BUT there will be times likes production week where i will NOT want to drive home at 10 or 11 at night just to get back up at 5
this wouldn't happen nearly enough to rent a studio or the like, but i was thinking "what if i get a Camper for such nights, and then the boys and I could take trips as well"? I like this idea (relatively close to Fairview-Riverside park and I think they have hookups)
THEN
in theory at least - i actually have no idea about maintaining a houseboat and whether or not the actuality would be super fun or even just a little bit of fun
like what's upkeep like? is there a place to dock on the Tchefuncte other than that super expensive looking marina in mandeville?
etc
etc

LOL if you are docking in Mandeville...you aint on the Tchefuncte

Yes you would pay to moor dockside, have to constantly visit/upkeep- engine/fuel care, pipes etc during long lay ups and freezes etc.

INSURANCE

And as superchuck500 alluded too....you gotta be "houseboat material" lol.

GMR moves in to his new houseboat:
y3BtOT29jSZaPuIfIN9idx23m3U=.gif

THEN
etc
etc

I can put in a good word with the commandant for you. Do you have an ascot?

But generally speaking, boats are more trouble than they’re worth unless you’re a really committed boater and use it regularly.

Your purpose is a bit different though - a place to crash instead of driving back across the lake. You could possibly get some kind of houseboat or sailboat for not too much money and rig it op for sleeping. You’ll need a good AC system and a working head. You can get a slip in a lower demand marina (access to the lake isn’t your primary concern). There’s still a lot of costs though. But could be cool - your little piece of personal space.

Two happiest days in a boat owner's life: the day the boat is bought, and the day the boat is sold.

This is what i have always heard as well.

i like your idea, Guido.. It’s definitely an example of thinking beyond the proverbial box.. But i think in order to really purchase any sort of boat, you would have to make a pretty large commitment to it... And honestly, i dont even think you’d need a ‘houseboat’ per se; just a regular old any type of boat, as long as there is a cabin with a bed in it... I dont have any real experience with boating myself, but i did live on a boat in Marina del Rey, CA, back in the early 2000s, for about 3 or 4 months... It was a 27 ft sailboat (i think?) and wasnt seaworthy, just stayed docked 24/7, but it belonged to a relative who let me stay for free in order to save up some money.. I actually kind of enjoyed it, but it was the dead of winter (even though in California) so when i would get up early in the morning to go shower in the boathouse, it was usually freezing cold.. but, i was in my 20s and looked at it as an adventure.. Wouldn’t want to do it again.

Maybe look at one of those Extended Stay America type hotels for Those weeks when you know you’ll be working long hours? Might be worth $250-$300 or whatever they charge to stay there for a week; hell you might pay for it in saved gas money.. or better yet, try a B&B.. there are lots of them in Mandeville.

Personally, I'd go camper, but I found this:

That’s really nice.. i could actually live on that thing full time.. and at $57k , it’s cheaper than a house or a condo.. Guido, just to clarify- were you looking to sell your home, or stop renting , and live full time on a boat?

If yall really want to go down a rabbit hole, YouTube some videos of people who have sold their home and all their possessions to buy a catamaran or sailboat and sail around the world.. Good times.

Wow, that's $5k more than my first house. But, then again, I got a lotta grey. My interest rate was 15.9% and it was adjustable but no choice -- we barely were able to scrape up enough dough for the down payment. Gosh, now that I have a bit of green, it would be great to be able to plunk it into an 8% certificate of deposit instead of chasing dicey 8% yields.

Just rea;ized that your post is gonna screw with the seller's head. I can hear them now "Hey, honey, we're getting a lot of clicks for the houseboat -- maybe we should ask more!"

LOL if you are docking in Mandeville...you aint on the Tchefuncte

Yes you would pay to moor dockside, have to constantly visit/upkeep- engine/fuel care, pipes etc during long lay ups and freezes etc.

INSURANCE

And as superchuck500 alluded too....you gotta be "houseboat material" lol.
I’ve seen Captain Ron, I can do this

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom