How about Ron Zook for Defensive Line Coach (1 Viewer)

Filaphill

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think we should look into Ron Zook the current special teams coach for Green Bay I remember he brought back respect to our defense as a defensive coordinator in 2000 and 2001. In 2000, the Saints finished 10-6 with Zook's defense ranking 10th in points allowed. DT La'Roi Glover led the team with 17 Sacks followed by 12 from DE Joe Johnson and 11 by DE Darren Howard

That would be a demotion for Zook. I don't see why he would take this position.

I think we should look into Ron Zook the current special teams coach for Green Bay I remember he brought back respect to our defense as a defensive coordinator in 2000 and 2001. In 2000, the Saints finished 10-6 with Zook's defense ranking 10th in points allowed. DT La'Roi Glover led the team with 17 Sacks followed by 12 from DE Joe Johnson and 11 by DE Darren Howard

If my memory serves me correctly, Ron Zook was the Saints' linebackers coach and he did quite a good job. Would love to see him back with the Saints.

Both the first and second posters are correct. In the end for anyone, it would depend on whether the Saints D-line position represented a step up, a decent-enough lateral move, or a step down. It really depends on the person's thought process.

And Zook was the DC under Jim Haslett in 2000 and 2001. He coached a bunch that had a ra-donkulous number of sacks that first year. Some pieces were inherited, such as Glover and Johnson, but the result was a D that had more sacks than the Dome Patrol, IIRC.

If my memory serves me correctly, Ron Zook was the Saints' linebackers coach and he did quite a good job. Would love to see him back with the Saints.

Zook was our DC from 2000-2001. He left in 2002 to become HC at Florida.

I'm not a fan of the idea... I like the guy and what he has done...BUT, I want some new blood...someone with a fire trying to prove himself...

I understand that could be hit or miss...Im just ready for a change on our defense.

I'm not a fan of the idea... I like the guy and what he has done...BUT, I want some new blood...someone with a fire trying to prove himself...

I understand that could be hit or miss...Im just ready for a change on our defense.

With Payton's propensity for finding coaches with player backgrounds of late (Campbell and Glenn) I'd think he would go after Clyde Simmons.

He was the assistant DL coach under the Rams the last three or four years and might do well as the primary coach.

With Payton's propensity for finding coaches with player backgrounds of late (Campbell and Glenn) I'd think he would go after Clyde Simmons.

He was the assistant DL coach under the Rams the last three or four years and might do well as the primary coach.

Now here is someone someone i wouldnt mind seeing on our sidelines...thanks, but didn't he accept job for Cleveland already?

Isn't he the one that haz bet on the sideline we would not make a stop and lost to have Haz pay him on the spot

Now here is someone ain't wouldn't have minded seeing on our sidelines...thanks, but didn't he accept job for Cleveland already?

Son of a Gun...he did. I don't know who they are going to get to fill the position.

Morton was a good hire for WRs and it appears Glenn wasn't bad for the secondary. I guess all we have now is faith that the coach will bring in coaches on the DL and LB that can make the players better both on and off the field.

I don't think promoting Brian Young to a primary DL coach is the answer. He has been around for a few years now and is part of the same group that just exited. He should have been let go as well.

However, with the silence on the coaching front I wouldn't be surprised if they promoted him to DL coach after testing the waters.

I don't think promoting Brian Young to a primary DL coach is the answer. He has been around for a few years now and is part of the same group that just exited. He should have been let go as well.

However, with the silence on the coaching front I wouldn't be surprised if they promoted him to DL coach after testing the waters.

God I hope not...like you said, he has been here.
We need someone to bring a pass rush with him

Isn't he the one that haz bet on the sideline we would not make a stop and lost to have Haz pay him on the spot

You are thinking about Zaven Yaralian. He was our DC under Ditka. FOX cameras caught Ditka passing him a 20 after a 4th down stop
against Oakland.

As others have said, Zook was DC. The person you're thinking of is John Bunting, who left for a stint running the show at North Carolina.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom