How bad are we really on defense? (1 Viewer)

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/RL0xU1daTlMoE" width="480" height="443" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/week-media-person-RL0xU1daTlMoE">via GIPHY</a></p>

Being honest here, aside from Breaux, which one of those injured guys in the secondary is going to improve this defense at all when they come back, let alone significantly?

I mean Lewis certainly could if he suddenly played like 2013, but he hadn't played that well in over two years and couldn't get on the field.

Sterling Moore and B.W. Webb have imo, been better or just as good as Swann or Wilson. We basically signed guys off the street who are just as good as the guys already on the roster.

It's hard to say what we have in PJ Williams given the limited sample size. Maybe he would improve quickly like Crawley, maybe he would be another Patrick Robison, you can't really say.

Crawley, at this point, is better than any of them and with the way he continues to improve, deserves to be ahead of any of those guys (except Breaux of course) on the depth chart.

Pruitt, Harris, and Sanford are still behind Vaccaro, Bell and Byrd. They're not starters. They're depth and/or special teams guys.

So this *****ing and moaning about injuries in the secondary just kind of blows my mind. It sounds good, "We're down to our 15th corner!" But the fact is, aside from Breaux, no one's coming to save us. Crawley is our #2 now. We went into the year with a roster of unproven and/or injury riddled corners. We should have the cap room to improve our situation next year. But if we go into next year with guys like Swann and Williams as our "#3 and #4", we'll probably end up in the same situation as this year.

I think you can make a much better argument that Breaux was playing at such a high level when he got injured, that he would improve this defense dramatically, than anything else.

all that is fine. but tell me another team that can lose that many dbs and still be competitive. we have udfas and street guys starting and second tier linebackers starting and people are wondering why our defense sucks so bad. our defense sucks, our defense sucks... people expect a lot from those guys. crawley is our number one corner right now. an undrafted free agent is our starting number one corner. how crazy is that? and while those guys are behind Vaccaro they were still going to be counted on to play some this season. I believe our defense wouldn't have been so bad if all the injuries didn't happen. Or at least we possibly wouldn't be giving up 33 points a game. That is the crux of the problem.

Being honest here, aside from Breaux, which one of those injured guys in the secondary is going to improve this defense at all when they come back, let alone significantly?

I mean Lewis certainly could if he suddenly played like 2013, but he hadn't played that well in over two years and couldn't get on the field.

Sterling Moore and B.W. Webb have imo, been better or just as good as Swann or Wilson. We basically signed guys off the street who are just as good as the guys already on the roster.

It's hard to say what we have in PJ Williams given the limited sample size. Maybe he would improve quickly like Crawley, maybe he would be another Patrick Robison, you can't really say.

Crawley, at this point, is better than any of them and with the way he continues to improve, deserves to be ahead of any of those guys (except Breaux of course) on the depth chart.

Pruitt, Harris, and Sanford are still behind Vaccaro, Bell and Byrd. They're not starters. They're depth and/or special teams guys.

So this *****ing and moaning about injuries in the secondary just kind of blows my mind. It sounds good, "We're down to our 15th corner!" But the fact is, aside from Breaux, no one's coming to save us. Crawley is our #2 now. We went into the year with a roster of unproven and/or injury riddled corners. We should have the cap room to improve our situation next year. But if we go into next year with guys like Swann and Williams as our "#3 and #4", we'll probably end up in the same situation as this year.

I think you can make a much better argument that Breaux was playing at such a high level when he got injured, that he would improve this defense dramatically, than anything else.

If Williams can ever stay healthy I think he could be just as good as Breaux. He is a future star. And there is a big difference even between a second year player and an undrafted free agent.

The defense is better now than at the beginning of the season.

In the secondary Webb and Moore are inspiring a lot of confidence and Vacarro is playing at a pro bowl level. Breaux will be back soon. Byrd and Bell are both competing for the FS snaps. Crawley has been be not bad for a UDFA rookie. Aaron Glenn and Dennis Allen seemed to have done something right in the secondary.

On the defensive line, Jordan and Fairely are taking care of business. The Saints need a pass rusher opposite Jordan, and Kruger was not getting it done. Edebali did well against the Chargers and he might be the man for the job. The defensive line is the key to how well the defense will perform. I am really excited to see what will happen with the addition of Rankins.

Stats don't lie. Sure they're playing their butts off and the team is making do with what they got but it's still a bad defense right now. Sure Breaux will help but we don't know what Rankins will be yet. Williams was only in his 2nd game so I'm not sure how good he'll be. Sure I'm hoping for better play but as of right now I'm not seeing it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Anybody who bet the "over" in Saints games has gotten it right 4 out of 5 times this season. And we're not talking about close calls here, either. The Over/Under is usually like 54, and the game totals are going to 69 or more. If this continues, you may start to see the O/U for Saints games starting at 58 or 59.

Sure, the Saints offense has played a role in that as well.......but when the total points scored are 69-plus, and you are either losing games or barely winning.....then yeah, your defense is giving up way too many points.

I know our defense has been less than ideal this season, but it seems like our guys have showed a lot of effort and seem less confused about assignments. Yet, we're still giving up a lot of yards.

However, I think we've played a pretty difficult offensive schedule that has contributed to our poor defensive stats.

Top Offenses (YPG)
#1 - Atlanta
#2 - New Orleans
#4 - Carolina
#8 - Oakland
#13 - NY Giants
#15 - San Diego

Basically, every offense that we have competed against is in the top half of the league in offensive yards per game. This makes us look just a little less terrible on defense in my eyes.

What is frustrating is we have all these injuries so we really don't know how good they are. I would love to haves scenes Kikaha pressuring the QB this year. Plus if we get Rankins, Breaux, and Ellerbe back we should see some improvement.

What is frustrating is we have all these injuries so we really don't know how good they are. I would love to haves scenes Kikaha pressuring the QB this year. Plus if we get Rankins, Breaux, and Ellerbe back we should see some improvement.

Kikaha and Ellerbe were damaged goods before they got here.

Wondering what things would look like if they were healthy is like wondering what things would be like if Cooks had Colston's size.

We will see. I'm not holding much hope for Ellerbe. Some bodies can't take the NFL and I'm starting to think he may be one of them. As far as Kikaha I still have a lot of excitement for him. There is no reason to think he won't return healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's blown the same ACL 3 times?

Let's not forget that Thomas Davis had three ACL tears in three consecutive years earlier in his career, he's doing just fine now. The advancements in medicine make repair and recovery chances better and better for players every year. While an ACL tear is bad, it's just not as catastrophic as it used to be. As long as you're young like Kikaha, there is still a real chance to come back and have an immensely successful career.

He's blown the same ACL 3 times?
Sort of, according to the story.

He tore it. Then his doctors botched the surgery, didn't repair it correctly somehow and it re-tore.

Then this year, if he completely tore it, I don't know why he isn't on IR. But he's actually still on PUP. Maybe it was only a partial?

Speaking of. Has anyone glimpsed him on the sidelines?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom