How bad are we really on defense? (1 Viewer)

sleepingbunch

NOLA/ATX/San Antone Saint
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know our defense has been less than ideal this season, but it seems like our guys have showed a lot of effort and seem less confused about assignments. Yet, we're still giving up a lot of yards.

However, I think we've played a pretty difficult offensive schedule that has contributed to our poor defensive stats.

Top Offenses (YPG)
#1 - Atlanta
#2 - New Orleans
#4 - Carolina
#8 - Oakland
#13 - NY Giants
#15 - San Diego

Basically, every offense that we have competed against is in the top half of the league in offensive yards per game. This makes us look just a little less terrible on defense in my eyes.

once breaux and rankins are back, we'll see the defense getting better. if only we werent down to our 5th/6th corners every game...

I know our defense has been less than ideal this season, but it seems like our guys have showed a lot of effort and seem less confused about assignments. Yet, we're still giving up a lot of yards.

However, I think we've played a pretty difficult offensive schedule that has contributed to our poor defensive stats.

Top Offenses (YPG)
#1 - Atlanta
#2 - New Orleans
#4 - Carolina
#8 - Oakland
#13 - NY Giants
#15 - San Diego

Basically, every offense that we have competed against is in the top half of the league in offensive yards per game. This makes us look just a little less terrible on defense in my eyes.

Or...

Just 1 game against our defense pushes any offense into the top half of the league.

First halves have been much better than 4th quarters in a few games.

That's not a sign of bad defense, that's a sign of little depth and tired legs.

So knowing we have some horses getting ready to return, combined with an easier schedule of offensive opponents, definitely reason for optimism.

Top Offenses (YPG)
#1 - Atlanta
#2 - New Orleans
#4 - Carolina
#8 - Oakland
#13 - NY Giants
#15 - San Diego

Maybe they all ranked that high because they played our defense.

I mean... It's good that we reloaded up the offense this offseason with some good receiving options.

Top Offenses (YPG)
#1 - Atlanta
#2 - New Orleans
#4 - Carolina
#8 - Oakland
#13 - NY Giants
#15 - San Diego

Another way to look at it is those teams have each had 1/5 (or 1/6) of their output against our defense, inflating their totals.

I mean, we are 32nd in rush yards allowed, 30th in pass yards allowed, 32nd in 1st downs allowed, 31st in points allowed....

this week and last week we're not bad at all.....we won. :D Really though it took 41 points at home to win the game. That should tell you what you need to know.

Really bad, but I think there is more optimism than in years past

I know our defense has been less than ideal this season...

BTW I like this description. It has the chance to go viral. #LessThanIdeal

"So, Samsung, how's that Note 7 rollout going?"

"Less than ideal."

------

"Billy Bush, you just got a gig on the Today show. Tell us how its going so far!"

"Less than ideal."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom