How Can Every Tipped or Bad Pass By Brees Get Intercepted!!! (1 Viewer)

tonythesaint

Pro-Bowler
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Diego, CA by way of McComb, Mississippi
This has been one of the most frustrating things for me for the last 4 or 5 years. Brees is one of, if not the most accurate passer in NFL history, yet a third of every bad pass he throws seems to be intercepted. He is the only QB I have ever seen that can throw 3 INTs in a game and still finish the game with a completion % over 66. It seems to me that opposing teams drop the easiest interceptions when playing against the other top tier QBs. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, throw horrible passes and we all know that if Drew threw those passes even the most inept team for interceptions would easily catch them. I used to think it was just me being a homer, but I'm sorry I watch far too much football and I know it doesn't happen in other games. That game for Roethlisberger today was an anomaly, he got to experience what Drew feels every week. The second I see a tipped pass against Brees, I fully expect an INT. What makes this whole ordeal even worse, is the fact that our defense can't catch INTs to save our lives. Did we use up all of our INT mojo in the 2009 season. Someone please tell me I am crazy and just imagining all of this. Are Brees's passes so catchable that even defenders can't drop them?:rant::rant::rant:

It does seem extraordinary how many tipped passes by Brees are intercepted. Two possible explanations. Brees throws with
less velocity than others and into tighter windows where there are defensive backs nearby.

I don't know, but it's 6 the last 2 games....

It does seem extraordinary how many tipped passes by Brees are intercepted. Two possible explanations. Brees throws with
less velocity
than others and into tighter windows where there are defensive backs nearby.
:scratch:

Our opponents are much better at the 'tip-drill' practice.

We NEVER can locate a ball that's been batted up in the air. It's truly pitiful.

less velocity than others and into tighter windows where there are defensive backs nearby.

This is by far the most logical explanation, but how many times do we see our defense drop these same opportunities. The most frustrating thing to me is to watch a team capitalize on these opportunities against Brees and then return to their anemic ways the following week against other QBs on the same type of passes. I'm not talking about this game specifically, I'm talking about just games in general.

Tips are just bad luck. It sucks. It counts and it hurts us. But it's just bad luck.

I'm not completely absolving Brees from blame, but I think we'll see more and more interceptions as he ages. Brees largely throws guys open, and throws in tight windows. The offense is designed that way. One thing I've always disliked about our offense is that even though it piles up yards, the yards seem to come hard. Like their aren't guys running free, it's all Brees.

We're in for a LOOOOONNG few seasons if we run Payton's offense after Brees. I don't think it's a QB-friendly offense. It's a Brees-friendly offense, because Brees is a top 5 all time QB and Payton let's him fire the ball with reckless abandon.

This has been one of the most frustrating things for me for the last 4 or 5 years. Brees is one of, if not the most accurate passer in NFL history, yet a third of every bad pass he throws seems to be intercepted. He is the only QB I have ever seen that can throw 3 INTs in a game and still finish the game with a completion % over 66. It seems to me that opposing teams drop the easiest interceptions when playing against the other top tier QBs. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, throw horrible passes and we all know that if Drew threw those passes even the most inept team for interceptions would easily catch them. I used to think it was just me being a homer, but I'm sorry I watch far too much football and I know it doesn't happen in other games. That game for Roethlisberger today was an anomaly, he got to experience what Drew feels every week. The second I see a tipped pass against Brees, I fully expect an INT. What makes this whole ordeal even worse, is the fact that our defense can't catch INTs to save our lives. Did we use up all of our INT mojo in the 2009 season. Someone please tell me I am crazy and just imagining all of this. Are Brees's passes so catchable that even defenders can't drop them?:rant::rant::rant:

Coaching.

Look at who our DBs are. They are for the most part backups to backups. At least they can cover well most of the time, which is something that we were all worried about earlier in the season. Also, Brees throws into tight windows and tight coverages where there isn't much room for error and lotss of potential for players to catch tipped balls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom