How Can Every Tipped or Bad Pass By Brees Get Intercepted!!! (1 Viewer)

Because Drew always loves to force it into very tight coverages and teams now know it. He doesn't look over the field anymore even when he has time too.

This has been one of the most frustrating things for me for the last 4 or 5 years. Brees is one of, if not the most accurate passer in NFL history, yet a third of every bad pass he throws seems to be intercepted. He is the only QB I have ever seen that can throw 3 INTs in a game and still finish the game with a completion % over 66. It seems to me that opposing teams drop the easiest interceptions when playing against the other top tier QBs. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, throw horrible passes and we all know that if Drew threw those passes even the most inept team for interceptions would easily catch them. I used to think it was just me being a homer, but I'm sorry I watch far too much football and I know it doesn't happen in other games. That game for Roethlisberger today was an anomaly, he got to experience what Drew feels every week. The second I see a tipped pass against Brees, I fully expect an INT. What makes this whole ordeal even worse, is the fact that our defense can't catch INTs to save our lives. Did we use up all of our INT mojo in the 2009 season. Someone please tell me I am crazy and just imagining all of this. Are Brees's passes so catchable that even defenders can't drop them?:rant::rant::rant:

A better question is why can our defense not take advantage of those same opportunities when given. Tampa's defense was on it today.

Because Drew always loves to force it into very tight coverages and teams now know it. He doesn't look over the field anymore even when he has time too.

If you look at the game tape there was no one wide open or even slightly open on those series where the ball was intercepted. Time was expiring so quick decisions had to be made although is it better to just chunk it out of bounds or take a shot?

A better question is why can our defense not take advantage of those same opportunities when given. Tampa's defense was on it today.

We held that offense to ONE TD. But I guess that's not good enough for some people.

This.

If he throws it into traffic there are multiple players around to intercept it.

I hear you and I know it is probably as simple as that, but to use the Sunday night game as an example, Eli threw multiple passes that should have been picked off. The two I want to focus on were both dropped by Barry Church and they were right in his hands. I was furious, and not because I wanted Dallas to win, it was because I knew that if Brees had thrown those I guarantee you he would have picked both of them off. Yes, Brees deserves much of the blame on his INTs, but can we catch a break on a couple of them? :idunno::idunno:

They "now" know it? Come on. It took them 14 years to figure out Brees likes to throw into tight windows?

He just, in the last 2 games, decided he's no longer going to go through progressions? Give me a break. He was on a near career best pace until a few weeks ago. He hasn't suddenly aged, forgotten how to scan the field, etc.

He's just had some bad games behind a patchwork OL while having little running game to help him out. Every QB has bad stretches.

They "now" know it? Come on. It took them 14 years to figure out Brees likes to throw into tight windows?

He just, in the last 2 games, decided he's no longer going to go through progressions? Give me a break. He was on a near career best pace until a few weeks ago. He hasn't suddenly aged, forgotten how to scan the field, etc.

He's just had some bad games behind a patchwork OL while having little running game to help him out. Every QB has bad stretches.

Bonchie, you are using reason and logic. Please stop that.... it undermines the will of the masses which is to reject reality and substitute their own.

Simple answer really, Brees throws it into triple coverage so when the pass is tipped then you at least have two players with a chance to intercept the ball thus increasing the chances of an intercepted throw. Keep in mind that Brees also got away with a lot of tipped passes not intercepted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not that he's throwing into triple coverage, teams are completely ignoring the run and dropping 7-8 guys in an all out zone coverage. The real key is teams have been getting consistent pressure on Brees just bringing 4.

I don't post often but the explanation is simple...His balls are easy to catch. If you look at the 1-handed "tap to myself" interception against the Lions 2 weeks ago you can see how soft the balls are coming out. Its the reason why our receivers look great in B&G but when they go elsewhere they struggle. Drew's throws are so soft/accurate/catchable that if he's just a hair off it'll be intercepted.

... and into tighter windows where there are defensive backs nearby.

I think it's this.

Think of all of the touchdowns, long third down conversions and, more simply, numbers of pass completions where you sat back and marveled, "How did he squeeze that in there???". The interceptions are the necessary evil to that...if he is slightly off, or the receiver tips it, Drew's probability for interception is a lot higher than most QBs (think Brady and Rodgers) who'll just eat the ball or throw it away.

Even when he was getting time yesterday, you can bet he still felt uncomfortable behind that line without Unger at center. If he doesn't trust the line, his mental clock will be running faster - even on plays when the line plays well. He was getting hit a lot early in the game.

Brees forces too many with multiple defenders nearby. Defenses, especially safeties have Coach figured out. They did not have Carmichael figured out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom