How can people not see this?

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Ratings
2017 Mitch McConnell: This tax cut that for the rich that we threw together over the weekend will pay for itself, despite overwhelming economic evidence to the contrary!!

2018 Mitch McConnell: No one could have predicted that the deficit would have increased, so I guess we need to cut Social Security now!

It's almost like this was the end game all along and everyone with an ounce of sense always knew it. But owning the libs is its own reward for the future elderly people living on the street.

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ratings
There is a credible argument that demographic changes alleviate much of the decrease in benefits predicted after 2038. It'e been years since I've read up on it so I can't speak to changes or any of that, but it's long been known that the population cycle will alleviate some of this issue as the boomers die off and give way to smaller numbers of retirees.
Being a boomer myself, I’m not ready to consider the economic benefits of us dying off. :ezbill:

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I'm with you on this. Like I said, we need to find a way to curtail the power of the parties.
You can ignore all those other fixes like term limits, etc if you just institute ranked-choice voting. That's all. Just get more than two viable candidates in every election. Three or more with an actual shot at winning and the Dem/Rep paradigm is shattered.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
Well, if our health care system continues to be this crappy and life expectancy keeps dropping, why are we going to even need SS? We might as well use all of that money now to grow the military industrial complex and continue to cut taxes for corporations and the wealthy. That seems to encapsulate republican thinking on the subject.

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Ratings
The last accounting I saw was the SS Trust Fund had a balance of $2.7 trillion. That balance should have been $4.8 trillion... but $2.1 trillion was "borrowed" from the trust fund for government operating expenses. Of course, there is no law requiring that those funds be paid back into the system. And with the deficit shooting up now (primarily because of the tax cut passed in 2017) there is ZERO chance of that money being paid back.

Incidentally... Republicans saying that they are going to cut Social Security to pay down the deficit is not only a lie (SS Trust Fund is separate from the operating budget) but a lie from this standpoint (Republicans in Congress are not going to intentionally commit suicide by cutting Social Security). Mitch McConnell admitted that cuts to what they call entitlements will "likely" not be made in this presidential term. "Likely" here means no freaking way.

DadsDream

Super Bowl Dreams!
Ratings
McConnell and his wife, confronted by protesters at a restaurant in Louisville, had other patrons shout down the protesters and tell them to leave McConnell alone.
One protester was banging his fists on McConnell's table and threw his food out of the restaurant door. This kind of behavior is going to get somebody killed. It needs to stop. Any public servant supporting these kinds of confrontations needs to be voted out of office. Now.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/20/senator-mitch-mcconnell-confronted-restaurant-protesters/

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings
McConnell and his wife, confronted by protesters at a restaurant in Louisville, had other patrons shout down the protesters and tell them to leave McConnell alone.
One protester was banging his fists on McConnell's table and threw his food out of the restaurant door. This kind of behavior is going to get somebody killed. It needs to stop. Any public servant supporting these kinds of confrontations needs to be voted out of office. Now.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/20/senator-mitch-mcconnell-confronted-restaurant-protesters/
This is going to far. These people need to stop. Nobody is going to die because of it, that's a little pearl cluching over reaction. But it's not helping advance anything.

The proper response to Mitch McConnell is to vote his sorry, power hungry arse out of office. Not to make a scene during dinner like an angry teenager. All this does is gives fuel to the conservative media and followers act aghast, as of the apocalypse was upon us.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Ratings

People shouldn’t act that way.

I’m not against making a comment to a political figure as you pass by their table, but disrupting everyone’s evening isn’t helping any cause.

The behavior of individuals doesn’t really have anything to do with the legitimacy of their views on the issues though.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings

Your boy, Trump, seems to have no problem with lying, screaming, interrupting and encouraging violence. He just applauded and supported a candidate who pled to an assault recently and promised to pay the legal fees for those who physically assaulted protestors.

I don't recall your post condemning those acts.

insidejob

matter vs. spirit
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Ratings
Your boy, Trump, seems to have no problem with lying, screaming, interrupting and encouraging violence. He just applauded and supported a candidate who pled to an assault recently and promised to pay the legal fees for those who physically assaulted protestors.

I don't recall your post condemning those acts.
Wasn't he still in band land when the presidential race was going on?

DadsDream

Super Bowl Dreams!
Ratings
Nobody is going to die because of it, that's a little pearl cluching over reaction.
New York man arrested for threatening to kill senators supporting Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation

"Nine millimeter, side of the XXXX-ing head! If XXXX-ing Kavanaugh gets in, he's dead XXXX-ing meat," one message from Sept. 27 threatened. "Actually, even if Kavanaugh doesn't get in, he's dead XXXX-ing meat."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-senators-supporting-brett-kavanaugh-n922181

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
Ratings

DadsDream

Super Bowl Dreams!
Ratings
I look forward to your vote for whoever the Democrats nominate in 2020, assuming they don’t encourage their attendees to rough up protestors or congratulate another senator for assaulting a reporter.
Finally! Somebody actually noticed my wording. Good job. :hihi:

BTW - Scarborough is predicting Trump never planned on becoming president and won't run in 2020. Shades of LBJ anyone?

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Ratings
New York man arrested for threatening to kill senators supporting Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation

"Nine millimeter, side of the XXXX-ing head! If XXXX-ing Kavanaugh gets in, he's dead XXXX-ing meat," one message from Sept. 27 threatened. "Actually, even if Kavanaugh doesn't get in, he's dead XXXX-ing meat."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-senators-supporting-brett-kavanaugh-n922181
Glad he’s been arrested.

Do you think this homicidal person is representative of the people who opppsed confirmation?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom