How can this be legal? Mrs. Pence is teaching at a school that bans Gay Students! (1 Viewer)

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
It's still a free country for now. She can do as she pleases as a private citizen. As it should be.

Despite the fact that certainly do not share the views of her church.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And the main education goal of the administration is to expand charter schools so shirtty schools like this get federal funding without having to meet any kind of federal standards. God what a bunch of shirtheads. Everything they do is wrong.

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Let Mother and VP have their little hideaway from the big bad, persecuting secular world. Their views will go the way of the dinosaurs.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wonder if this school pays federal income tax.
Not necessarily. Unlike churches, the schools actually have to apply for tax-exempt status. It's a complex issue because there are a lot of regulations that private schools have to be aware of when forming their organizational structure.

As for issues with their beliefs, curriculum, and hiring practices (ADA and similar issues), they have latitude in their practices. Again, depending on how the school is organized, number of employees, and other criteria are used to determine whether the schools are subject to federal ADA and labor laws.

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Unlike churches, the schools actually have to apply for tax-exempt status. It's a complex issue because there are a lot of regulations that private schools have to be aware of when forming their organizational structure.

As for issues with their beliefs, curriculum, and hiring practices (ADA and similar issues), they have latitude in their practices. Again, depending on how the school is organized, number of employees, and other criteria are used to determine whether the schools are subject to federal ADA and labor laws.
Yup, I looked up the tax excempt requirements for private schools from the IRS website. It only requires that they don't discriminate against races and ethnic groups. It doesn't say anything about discriminating against sexual orientation, identity, and disability. I just think it is wrong and doesn't go far enough in 2019

porculator

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, I looked up the tax excempt requirements for private schools from the IRS website. It only requires that they don't discriminate against races and ethnic groups. It doesn't say anything about discriminating against sexual orientation, identity, and disability. I just think it is wrong and doesn't go far enough in 2019
Bigotry aside, how is it OK to discriminate against disability? Wasn't that the whole point of the ADA 30 years ago? People with disabilities obviously cost more to accommodate, so you're saddling public schools with the cost, while also giving public money to schools that can just tell people with disabilities to fork off? What a disgrace.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bigotry aside, how is it OK to discriminate against disability? Wasn't that the whole point of the ADA 30 years ago? People with disabilities obviously cost more to accommodate, so you're saddling public schools with the cost, while also giving public money to schools that can just tell people with disabilities to fork off? What a disgrace.
Where do you see that a disability is also involved? I didn’t see that in the OP.

As far as I know, there are very limited protections for sexual orientation in federal law. Many states have it but federal law does not. I think there are some workplace protections but that’s it. It’s not ADA and isn’t a covered class in most federal applications.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think it’s widely true that private schools haven’t been forced to accommodate special needs kids. It would cut into the profit margin.

I don’t know about this particular private school.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it’s widely true that private schools haven’t been forced to accommodate special needs kids. It would cut into the profit margin.

I don’t know about this particular private school.
They actually do, by law, if the school has a certain number of employees. I don't recall the specifics though. It's been a while since I last read up on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom