How CGM went from 2nd rounder to star (pff article) (1 Viewer)

Saintscuffy

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

I would say this: to me, this is just another example of how overrated tested speed is. You can run a pedestrian 40, but there are other critical factors of value in rating WRs.

My opinon is that catch rate, vision and route running are way too undervaled. Work etic and focus are also critical.

As for Thomas, I think the skill base was there- just needed the opportunity.

I originally thought a lot of his success was attributed to Drew Brees. I was surprised that his numbers didn't change with Bridgewater as QB.

The article is from 2017 so it really only covers his rookie season. It would be cool to see the same article and breakdowns at this point in his career since he has only got better every season.

I always try to think of a similar WR to compare MT to, but he is in a category of his own. The article hit on the fact that SP has used MT in a role that capitalizes on his strengths. That reminds me of a book, Soar with your Strengths, where it discusses the Strengths Theory.

The Strengths Theory is essentially understanding what your strengths and weaknesses are and accepting that a weakness can never become a strength. The time spent trying to build on a weakness is wasted where you could exponentially enhance your strengths if you focus on building them while managing your weakness. Either knowingly or unknowingly MT has done just that.

You could say that top end speed is MT's weakness, however suddenness, route running, strength, hand strength, catch radius, determination, work ethic, etc are all his strengths. He has carved out a role where he has enhanced all of those strengths while not allowing his "weakness" to allow him to fail.

The article is from 2017 so it really only covers his rookie season. It would be cool to see the same article and breakdowns at this point in his career since he has only got better every season.

I always try to think of a similar WR to compare MT to, but he is in a category of his own. The article hit on the fact that SP has used MT in a role that capitalizes on his strengths. That reminds me of a book, Soar with your Strengths, where it discusses the Strengths Theory.

The Strengths Theory is essentially understanding what your strengths and weaknesses are and accepting that a weakness can never become a strength. The time spent trying to build on a weakness is wasted where you could exponentially enhance your strengths if you focus on building them while managing your weakness. Either knowingly or unknowingly MT has done just that.

You could say that top end speed is MT's weakness, however suddenness, route running, strength, hand strength, catch radius, determination, work ethic, etc are all his strengths. He has carved out a role where he has enhanced all of those strengths while not allowing his "weakness" to allow him to fail.
Your post about M.T. is spot on. When I was in field artillery I was a scrawny 150 pound person. Every year there were firing competitions. I would always finish around second or third place. The people who usually fired rounds out of the howitzer were 190 to 210 pound people. My key was technique. Use the legs and employ a smooth fluid motion. Most importantly no wasted movement.

I found this article about Eric Martin for another thread, but it applies here as well. Reading about how Martin played the game and his mindset seems to be very similar to MT's. MT's comparable WR might be Eric Martin, but MT is bigger and faster.

I enjoyed watching Martin play. He went across the middle like no other at that time.

I'm not really surprised. Seriously.

Go back and watch that "toe tap" catch & subsequent game changing TD vs Bama in the title game. Then fast forward to his rookie season and those ridiculous circus catches at practice when Luke M was throwing him the ball.

The signs of greatness were there for Mike. Already ELITE at this level of football.

I'm not really surprised. Seriously.

Go back and watch that "toe tap" catch & subsequent game changing TD vs Bama in the title game. Then fast forward to his rookie season and those ridiculous circus catches at practice when Luke M was throwing him the ball.

The signs of greatness were there for Mike. Already ELITE at this level of football.

I was at that Sugar Bowl game when he made that catch. My wife's family and my sons are huge Buckeye fans, so I saw a LOT of Thomas in college and I thought he was by far the most pro-ready WR in the draft (he never dropped anything in college) and was sort of flabbergasted he was there for us in the second round.

Game film >>>>> combine numbers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom