How comfortable are we with Jamie Martin? (1 Viewer)

Shibby

Fleur de ****in' Lis!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I had this posted in reply to the Drew Bree's (sic) thread, but it got canned as I was replying. If this is also inappropriate, which I don't think it is, can it too!

I only got to watch the Dallas game on television this preseason (sigh), so I really don't know much about him. Aside from the so-so to okay numbers, how did he look?

Preseason Statistics: 30 of 45 passing, 316 yards passing, 66.7% completion rate.

One touchdown, three interceptions, 66.5% passer rating.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1063

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=20125

Pro Career

2004: Played in one game for the Rams … replaced QB Chris Chandler in the second quarter at Arizona 12/19 … completed 16 of 30 passes for 188 yards … finished with a 72.6 passer rating.

2003: Spent six weeks on Jets’ roster, inactive for all six weeks, after signing with club 9/8 ... released 10/22.

*snip* Read more at nflplayers.com link provided.

College Career

Jamie is fifth in NCAA history with 12,287 yards total offense and 12,207 yards passing ... Earned Walter Payton Trophy as NCAA Division I-AA Player of the Year after completing 310 of 500 passes for 4,125 yards and 35 touchdowns as a junior.

Personal Bio

Born Jamie Blane Martin in Orange, CA…lettered in football, basketball, baseball, and golf at Arroyo Grande (CA) High … led team to California Southern Section Championship as senior … finished high school career with 40 touchdowns … married to Kelly with sons, Jackson and Andrew, and daughter, Ally … resides in Chesterfield, MO.

How comfortable are we with Jamie Martin?

More comfortable than with Aaron Brooks or Todd Bouman...

Well, didn't he beat us last year? I think some guys are not good enough to start, and spend their careers as back-ups. The consumate bench warmer and traveling hired hand. How would I feel? NOT comfortable, but better than if we still had Bouman. That guy screws up so much he had the screw up look on his face as he came on to the field.

To answer the question directly, "a lot more comfortable than I was with Todd Bouman." :eek:

As a backup, completely happy. He looked smart and controlled in pre-season, and I think he could step in immediately if he had to and run the offense without missing a beat. He's not Drew Brees, but he's OK. Jamie Martin was another good off-season signing. I hope we never need him.

I am actually fairly comfortable with him as a backup. He is alot like Brees, just not quite as good. I think he is a most competent backup who if he were to fill in, would win some games.

Im not very comfrtable with him at all. 3 of our wins have been one score margins. I think Brees has a lot to do with those being W's instead of L's. I think with JM we would be lucky to play .500.

My intention is not so much to rip on JM, but rather the emphasize the qualities and importance of DB

Who IS completely comfortable with the backup QB?

Turbine and a lot of us when Delhomme was our backup to Brooks. :)

Seriously, if Brees goes down this season, NO ONE could replace him and I'd feel as comfortable.

I am pretty comfortable with him,he comes from a Rams team that knows how to put up big points.I think that we would have to change our plans a little.He would have to try some shots down the field(to keep the defense honest,because they will be blitzing him).With a guy like Colston to throw the ball to on third,and usually looking at 2nd and 5 and 3rd and short he would probably due pretty well.I don't think he is the type of guy that is gonna make alot of mistakes.

I agree

I am pretty comfortable with him,he comes from a Rams team that knows how to put up big points.I think that we would have to change our plans a little.He would have to try some shots down the field(to keep the defense honest,because they will be blitzing him).With a guy like Colston to throw the ball to on third,and usually looking at 2nd and 5 and 3rd and short he would probably due pretty well.I don't think he is the type of guy that is gonna make alot of mistakes.

I agree! He played great in pre-season. He actually played better than Brees did during pre-season. This O doesn't require the qb to be a great athlete. I think Martin fits our O perfectly. Payton will not ask Martin to do things he can't do, like the Rams were doing. Quick reads and get rid of the ball...TD!

Let me just say this, if Drew went down Sunday, and Jamie Martin was the QB for the rest of the year, I don't think he would lead us to the playoffs.

I had this posted in reply to the Drew Bree's (sic) thread, but it got canned as I was replying. If this is also inappropriate, which I don't think it is, can it too!

I only got to watch the Dallas game on television this preseason (sigh), so I really don't know much about him. Aside from the so-so to okay numbers, how did he look?

Preseason Statistics: 30 of 45 passing, 316 yards passing, 66.7% completion rate.

One touchdown, three interceptions, 66.5% passer rating.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1063

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=20125

Pro Career

2004: Played in one game for the Rams … replaced QB Chris Chandler in the second quarter at Arizona 12/19 … completed 16 of 30 passes for 188 yards … finished with a 72.6 passer rating.

2003: Spent six weeks on Jets’ roster, inactive for all six weeks, after signing with club 9/8 ... released 10/22.

*snip* Read more at nflplayers.com link provided...

A key look at Martin is what he did in St. Louis last year when he started 5 games in relief of Bulger. 124/177 for a 70% completion average, 5 TDs/7 Ints. 83.5 QB Rating

Aside from the TD to Int ratio, he did fairly well. I think that BU QBs often get a bad rap because they have to come in mid-game after only getting a few reps during the week and do not perform all that well. What is telling about a BU, IMHO, is how he does when he is given the ball as a starter for a few games.

With Payton's type of O, I think he will do well should we lose Brees for any extended time.

JMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom