How confident are you in Adam Trautman? (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty confident in him, saw some flashes of the potential he brings as a pass catcher and with Vannett practically taking Josh Hill's role, he'll be more focused on routes. Also an opportunity for Garrett Griffin to stick on the roster given his blocking ability. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if we draft someone in the late rounds.

I'm confident the team thinks he's going to continue to develop. Not sure if that's mostly as a blocker, a receiving weapon, or both.
Adding Vannet doesn't even play into this in my opinion. He's not likely to light up the stat-sheet very often. He seems like mostly
a depth/rotational signing. Sean Payton offenses have always had a decent amount of plays going to a TE, and we've attempted
to bring in a weapon many times since JG left with mixed results, (none of them turned out all that great). So, my guess is that
our staff believes Trautman can carry that load.

I found it encouraging that our top 3 picks last year seemed to improve as the year went along. Even Baun started getting in on
the field towards the end of the season. All 3 were considered developmental prospects (3 year projects). Without spring, OTA's,
or any real offseason program, I think it's completely understandable that none of them hit the scene early like McCoy and Chauncey
did the year before. I can't wait to see what these guys become this year and next. The potential is there for all 3 to flourish, especially
Trautman.

Trautman is not the type of tight end we are used to. He is not a receiving thread like Shockey, Graham or Cook. He is a more traditional "done everything well" tight end.

There is good and "bad" of it.

The good is that he is a 3 down tight end, contributing exceptionally on the blocking but also in the pass. We will get the most of Trautman if he turns to be a reliable 3rd down converter and a red zone option.

The bad, he won't be a tight end that stretches the field and coverage, the wide receivers and Kamara will have to replace this feature from Cook.

Right now, and for the old timers, I see him more in the traditional mold of Hoby Brenner, and with the chance to evolve even more to be something like a Greg Olsen kind of player.

Since he wasn't asked to block much in college, and is now rated the #1 blocking TE in the NFL, let's hope he can improve his receiving skills proportionately. Personally, I'm encouraged and quite confident that he can contribute a lot to the offense.

I'm confident

More confident than the writers on NFL.com. In the NFC south roster reset they have Vannett as our biggest acquisition and starting TE. LOL So I am confident enough to call Trautman our starter

He’s a good blocker and that should help him. TE is pretty notorious for being a very slow development. If I had to guess...assuming the Saints don’t add someone I’d slot him down for 550 yards and 5 TDs.

Trautman is not the type of tight end we are used to. He is not a receiving thread like Shockey, Graham or Cook. He is a more traditional "done everything well" tight end.

There is good and "bad" of it.

The good is that he is a 3 down tight end, contributing exceptionally on the blocking but also in the pass. We will get the most of Trautman if he turns to be a reliable 3rd down converter and a red zone option.

The bad, he won't be a tight end that stretches the field and coverage, the wide receivers and Kamara will have to replace this feature from Cook.

Right now, and for the old timers, I see him more in the traditional mold of Hoby Brenner, and with the chance to evolve even more to be something like a Greg Olsen kind of player.

I think it's too early to say with any certainty what he could become as a receiver. 4.8 is not blazing speed, so he's not a burner, but his short area quickness along with his size and length could still make him a huge match up headache for DCs. How he develops as a route runner will determine his eventual ceiling. His only knocks (or question marks) coming out of college was his ability as an in-line blocker and the huge jump in level of competition from Dayton to the NFL. He's already dispelled one of them.

He’s not the fastest TE but that’s fine, his agility for a TE is elite. He had a better 3 come drill than most of the WRs and corners in last years draft which is why he is such an excellent route runner and gets separation. That along with his size, fantastic hands and being a terrific blocker make him a total package tight end in the Jason Witten, Gronk mold. He’s going to be great for us

Last edited:
50 grabs for 600 yds. and 5 Tds. Vannett 25 grabs 300 yds and 2 Tds.

I am hopeful that he will continue to develop and be a reliable guy both blocking and receiving. However, we won't really know until the season starts just how effective he will be this year. We sure do need him to develop as we don't have many other options with the other holes that need to be filled and no FA money to spend to speak of!

I'm fired up for Trautman and predict be will become the best TE in Saints history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom