How did Carolina beat Baltimore? ...We should do the same... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Carolina took care of Baltimore AT Baltimore 2 weeks ago, and they would have won by a bigger margin if not for a flukey tipped pass for a TD for the Ravens. Jake Delhomme lit that defense up for some very good numbers. I think the Saints certainly have as good, or IMO better, an offense as Carolina... and we're going to be playing in OUR HOUSE. Did anyone see the Car. Balt. game 2 weeks ago? How did the Panthers approach that defense? I definitely think this is a game the Saints can/should win, but it's going to be a battle.

You can be sure that Payton is watching that film closely. One thing though, if i am right, Boller entered that game in the first half, so you don't know how the Panthers would have done against McNair. Did McNair leave the game with a lead?

I think this is a game we have to win, how this team plays coming off a bye week will say a lot about our new coaching staff and players. Both teams coming off a bye week, Baltimore fired its OC, my stomach is turning in nots just thinking about it. I'm going to be a nervous wreak watching this game.

j, lewis is near the bottom in rushing yds so that is good, though heap could be a problem for us - stoutmire\bellamy will have their hands full

the are number 3 in defense, the best defense we faced up till now was carolina at number 17 - but 3 of the teams they faced were oak, clev, and TB (sims), but they have beaten SD , lost to den and car

YPG RUSH YPG PASS YPG PTS/G

252.0 71.2 180.8 11.5

they have 2 LBs each with 5 sacks (scott, thomas)

i hope we start off quick, shake the bye week off on the first series,

Being an AFC game, I don't see it as a must-win. I also don't see it as a statement game as I think Payton & Co. have proven they can play with the supposed "contenders".

That said, I like our chances alot considering Carolina beat them, we've had a bye to gameplan them, and they have alot of issues (McNair/coaching changes). Also, pretty big to get them in the Dome...

We beat them, I see us at 7-1 at the half-way point...HUGE!

Being an AFC game, I don't see it as a must-win. I also don't see it as a statement game as I think Payton & Co. have proven they can play with the supposed "contenders".

That said, I like our chances alot considering Carolina beat them, we've had a bye to gameplan them, and they have alot of issues (McNair/coaching changes). Also, pretty big to get them in the Dome...

We beat them, I see us at 7-1 at the half-way point...HUGE!

I don't disagree with what you say until the 7-1 part. I fear going into Tampa Bay more than this game. I have a strange feeling about that game.

...we've had a bye to gameplan them...HUGE!

And they've had a bye week to gameplan for us, and that's what has me the most concerned. No other team we've faced all season has had this good a defense coupled with an extra week of preparation, and 6 weeks of film on our offense.

I'm really starting to think that this game is going to be won on the defensive side of the ball and STs. They match up well with their defense versus our offense, but our defense is good enough to hold down their offense all day, especially in the Dome. The crowd is going to have to contribute!

...I fear going into Tampa Bay more than this game. I have a strange feeling about that game.

I agree, T.B. had us here in the Dome, and it took Reggie's 1st TD to win it in dramatic fashion. Tampa knows us now, and they're playing with confidence now. I'm hoping we learned something from the 1st game too though and limit the amount of big plays we gave up... it was something like 12 on the broadcast.

I think this is a game we have to win, how this team plays coming off a bye week will say a lot about our new coaching staff and players. Both teams coming off a bye week, Baltimore fired its OC, my stomach is turning in nots just thinking about it. I'm going to be a nervous wreak watching this game.

It would be good to win coming off the bye week, but next week at Tampa is more important.

It looks like Carolina beat them throwing short passes while running just enough to keep them honest, occasionally throwing deep.

Their scoring drives all included a successful deep pass (naturally).
32 yds to Smith (3-0 CAR)
42 yds to Carter (10-7 CAR)
22 yds to Goings (13-7 CAR)
31 yds to Smith (16-7 CAR)
72 yds to Smith (23-7 CAR)

I'd say our current offensive style is well-suited for this type of game. I don't think we'd need big strikes to score as we lead the league in long ball-controlling drives. Drew should be able to read their D and "dink" us down the field until they tire and Deuce starts pounding..

Their O doesn't frighten me unless Billick will make big changes (which I can't see). I think only turnovers would keep us from another "W".

I still think (and hope) that the Saints spread the field on offense with alot of 3 and 4 WR sets. Their LBs are very good, and if we can get 1 or 2 of them off of the field by having extra WRs out there, I think it will help in the running game.

carolina spread their offense, and through alot of undrneath passes to thier backs, then they went to smith to spread the defense,the saints have all the tools to win this game ,with brees taking 3 step drops ,throwing to bush and mcallister out of the backfield ,colston ,horn and henderson spreading the field ,we should win this game. our defense is more than capable to handle the ravens poor offense.

I for one don't think Tampa's defense is too shabby, and they had two weeks to get ready to play us. It was a tough game but we pulled it out. I think Payton knows that and that is why he brought the guys back early to get ready for this game. It's really funny in a way that Billick is so scared of the Saints after losing 2 in a row that he fires his OC and is doing anything he can to try to cause the Saints to become distracted with what he's doing with the Ravens. I think coach Payton will be ready and so will the team. They realize that this will be the last home game for 2 weeks and they want this game.

This will be a game of patience. To me the key is to run Deuce right at the gut of the defense. It may not work well on the beginning, but still will create enough distraction to keep the linebackers honest.

The big plays will come by attacking the spaces between the linebackers and the secondary. Both Addalius Thomas and Bart Scott are good enough on pass coverage. We need to keep them honest to be able to explode the quick pass to the slot for both Reggie and Henderson.

On defense, they have a very classic power offense, the key is to stay disciplined in our coverages.

carolina spread their offense, and through alot of undrneath passes to thier backs, then they went to smith to spread the defense,the saints have all the tools to win this game ,with brees taking 3 step drops ,throwing to bush and mcallister out of the backfield ,colston ,horn and henderson spreading the field ,we should win this game. our defense is more than capable to handle the ravens poor offense.

God I hope so, but I just can't shake this feeling that its going to be a trap game for us. But I do feel better reading your breakdown. I might have some more trust issues to work out this year. Its like i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, or something like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom