How did Davenport do? (1 Viewer)

This is what we expected. Hes raw and hes going to be inconsistent. Sometimes he'll be a monster, sometimes he'll disappear.

We need to make a move ASAP regarding pressuring the QB. Yes our secondary needs improvement but getting pressure on the QB can also improve pass coverage because the QB doesn’t have all day to comfortably find a wide open receiver.

I don’t think for one second we will trade for anybody that could help us rush the QB but hypothetically who could be available?
Dude our line is set. Okafor, Davenport. Jordan. Davidson. Stallworth. Rankins. Onymenta. How could we possibly get anyone else. Let’s worry about that secondary

He was going against their best offensive lineman in Stanley. Combined with being in a rotation not a big surprise he had a quiet game.

It was Jordan and Rankin's who should have feasted as they were going against rookie backups. At several points in the game Rankin's was going against the 3rd guard on their depth chart.

Other than the TB game this was the worst game of the year for the dline....Cam was almost always doubled in some form or fashion but the interior players and Davenport/Okafor failed to win their one on ones...Ravens oline is above average but our dline needs to be better...I was disappointed in them as much as the secondary but a win is a win and I think they will improve....

Our D-line got handled yesterday in general... Davenport was no exception.... I think it also had something to do with our game plan though.... we played a ton of 7, 8, and 9 (yeah that's right only 2 guys rushing the QB) man coverage. I think the plan was to make Flacco stand in the pocket and throw it into nearly every player we had on defense.

Payton says it all the time,"We have to affect the passer." Saints defense did not affect the passer much yesterday. A consistent pass rush is key to a successful defense. The Ravens put consistent pressure on QBs with only a 4-man pass rush and the result is the NFLs #1 defense.
The result was Drew carved them up in the 4th quarter

This is what we expected. Hes raw and hes going to be inconsistent. Sometimes he'll be a monster, sometimes he'll disappear.
This is also the answer
His rise won’t be slow and steady
There will be peaks and valleys
Fans tend to forget the other team has players too

Davenport was not great yesterday.

When it comes to defending the pass, I always side with DL before secondary. It was Herm Edwards that said a great pass rush makes the scondary look good and that most NFL qb’s can find and open receiver, and deliver an accurate pass if given enough time. I firmly believe that.
The wrinkle in all of this is Mobile QB’s. They can turn the equation on it’s head

He had a horrible face mask penalty on the final scoring drive of the Ravens .... Other than that he was decent ....

Here's a thought...Maybe Baltimore's O-Line is just really good. :shrug:

Cam Jordan got "handled" on more than a fair share of plays as well, but yeah, let's put the lack of pressure all on Davenport to fit a preconceived narrative that he's not worth the 2 first rounders "we gave up to get him".

Outside a few plays where we actually blitzed, we were unable to put pressure on Flacco w/ just the front 4...that's not telling of the DL, that's more indicative of a dominant OL.

Last edited:
Here's a thought...Maybe Baltimore's O-Line is just really good. :shrug:

Cam Jordan got "handled" on more than a fair share of plays as well, but yeah, let's put the lack of pressure all on Davenport to fit a preconceived narrative that he's not worth the 2 first rounders "we gave up to get him".

Outside a few plays where we actually blitzed, we were unable to put pressure on Flacco w/ just the front 4...that's not telling of the DL, that's more indicative of a dominant OL.

I agree, mostly. Cam got doubled and chipped all day, MD will keep getting better....
Where I may disagree or have a different take, interior d line should have gotten some pressure. Especially with their 3rd string playing at guard for a bit, like us.
A win is a win and I love it either way.

It wasn't that kind of game, the environment and the flow of the game didn't suggest Davenport would be having a sack happy game, this was a game for the vets and Okafor, Rankins and Jordan held it down.

The Ravens got the same amount of sacks as us. I guess they suck too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom