How did I miss this story? (Ahmaud Arbery shooting in Georgia)[MERGED] (2 Viewers)

Sandman

Trustworthy
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Here is the story with the video. It shows a man getting shot and killed.

This happened back in February. I didn't hear anything about this. The local DA initially did not want to charge the shooters (one was a former police officer). The shooters claim that they were trying to make a citizen's arrest, saying Arbery fit the discription of someone suspected of committing a string of robberies. Arbery wrestles with one of the gunmen and is shot dead in the street. The original DA says that it was self-defense at that point.

I call b.s. on that. This guy is out for a run, is ambushed by a group of white guys with guns playing cop. His actions were completely reasonable, and theirs were not. Arbery had no stolen material on him, and according to his family, he was out for a run. These men need to go to jail for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
so no string of robberies?

Shocked I tell ya, shocked!
Also, I noticed that one of the DA's that recused themselves cited that they worked with the accused on a prosecution of the deceased. Not much detail on that, but it does draw intrigue in that there was some personal history between the parties.

RKNSaint

Idle Wild
Reaction score
so no string of robberies?

Shocked I tell ya, shocked!
I saw this though...a gun stolen from an unlocked vehicle in front of the McMichaels’ home. But, that to me is just more evidence how irresponsible and gun crazy these two were.

This is pretty key to me though.

Arbery, 25, was jogging in his Satilla Shores, Georgia, neighborhood on February 23 when he was fatally shot.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Weird. I know it's Georgia, but do they just drive around with shotguns or something like it's the 50s?
It's more common than you think, and not just in the South. It's the equivalent of some sort of redneck street cred, I believe.

First Time Poster

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
, you presume *nothing* is the result of racism.
Also, why is there no TV channel called White Entertainment Television? That's racist!!
Playing chess with a pigeon, I’m telling you
It's like the Chappelle show skit, right. (2:55)

"So besides the tape and the girl corrobating the allegation, what more would it take to believe he's guilty?"

"Alright, if I saw a tape of R. Kelly peeing on a girl, while he was singing 'Piss On You', the girl was holding two forms of government ID, or a police officer was there, like four or five of my buddies and Neal taking notes, I'm not finished, and his grandmother has to be there to confirm his identity!"

For some, that is the excessive, nonsensical and ridiculously high bar they put in place to call something "racist", racially motivated or even speculate that it involved some bias or was racially stressed induced or aided.

"Alright, if the two dudes were wearing Klan masks, signed by David Duke, driving a Ford, not GMC, a Ford pickup, with a rebel flag that has the inscription "my heritage", while listening to post-Obama Ted Nugent, and while murdering him they used the N-word a minimum of six times, and after killing him they castrated him and burned his body and left their "Kill all Blacks" manifesto at the scene...then yes, I will concede this looks like a hate crime."

I imagine they feel it is the necessary counter to what they perceive as the growing "everything is racist!" movement, but it just comes across, to me, as another extreme and clownish. Like I get the importance of not nilly willy claiming any interaction between races to automatically involve bias, or hate. But does anyone want to go out on a limb and tell me, after watching that video, that they believe the same thing happens to white Arnold Antonelli jogging down that street? Your gut, intuition and instincts tell you otherwise, especially those of us who have spent a lifetime living it and it being engraved in our legacy and heritage. You know what it looks like. What it feels like. You just do.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Alright, if the two dudes were wearing Klan masks, signed by David Duke, driving a Ford, not GMC, a Ford pickup, with a rebel flag that has the inscription "my heritage", while listening to post-Obama Ted Nugent, and while murdering him they used the N-word a minimum of six times, and after killing him they castrated him and burned his body and left their "Kill all Blacks" manifesto at the scene...then yes, I will concede this looks like a hate crime."
“...the burden of proof is not on the hate!”

and this is followed quickly by, “oh, yeah Jesse Smollet did that ****”
Clockwork

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
DALLAS — I wish going for a run were as simple as lacing up my shoes and pounding the pavement. Sadly, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Before I step outside of the house, I run through a mental checklist:

Is my beard too thick?

Is it too dark outside?

Am I dressed like a runner? God forbid I wear mesh b-ball shorts and a loose T-shirt in the suburbs of Dallas.

Then, while on the run, I have to consider:

Is my rap music too loud? Can they hear it?

Does my cap, worn backward, send the wrong message?

Do I open up my stride now or wait until I get out of the neighborhood and into the open roads so I don’t appear to be running away from something or someone?

How many times have I looked over my shoulder on this block? Does that look suspicious?.............

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
a lot of people really have no idea

with so many stereotypes out there, a lot of consideration and calculation goes into thought before action that so many of us don't need to and take for granted that we don't need to, because we've never had to and many of us aren't even aware other people have to think like this

families I've worked with have talked about not bringing all of their kids to the supermarket because they don't want to be judged as a "welfare mom" with a bunch of baby daddies - even when it's an nuclear a family as you can imagine. Women not raising their voices because they don't want to be seen as the stereotypical loud, obnoxious black female. Black students eating unfair discipline and disparaging - even racist - remarks and comments in class because a teacher has the power and they don't want to seem the 'behavioral problem black student.' Dads, as males, who have professional jobs and over-compensate for their vernacular and dialect to sound as legitimate as their less formal white colleagues and peers. Changing clothes before and after school to accommodate the neighborhoods they'll be walking in. More circuitous walking routes home along wider streets with more foot traffic to feel less a threat to other people. Interactions with cops.

The list goes on for so long.

And this list - for the most part - has nothing to do with them as people and everything to do with their ethnicity and the assumptions of people who have the power or comprise the dominant majority.

To think that there isn't privilege here is denial.

But people need to get over a single-mindedness of this term. People are happy to split semantic hairs when it comes to other words and social dynamics. Even in this thread, "It's not racist because of......" but we can't complicate the word "privilege"?

It has to mean that you life in a mansion and were born into a billionaire's family? Nah.

Call it advantage or whatever else, then, if you can get past a single word.

But your denial doesn't somehow magically *poof* it out of existence.

I wish it were that easy.

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
Reaction score

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
sense that i get is that the covid anxiety and the leadership vacuum leads to a sense that some deplorable people understand that their opportunity to openly demonstrate their hate has a shelf life that turns in the Fall
i imagine many more of these types of encounters over the summer
sadly

BigFrosty

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the McMichael's will be going to jail for a long time. They did not witness Abery committing a crime. They approached him in an aggressive manor and brandished weapons. At that point, I see it valid that Abery would fear for his life and defend himself. The McMichael's elevated the situation to an unacceptable level. That's my prediction at least.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom