How did I miss this story? (Ahmaud Arbery shooting in Georgia)[MERGED] (5 Viewers)

Court TV was flipping between it and the Rittenhouse trial. I believe the defense rested on Friday. We should have jury deliberation next week. I suspect it will be quick. What these guys did is indefensible, although I’ve seen people defending it because, tribalism.
Yes, I had seen a lot of that on Facebook before I deleted my profile. It was very troubling that a significant portion of the US population was actually defending the actions of these accused individuals.

Yes, I had seen a lot of that on Facebook before I deleted my profile. It was very troubling that a significant portion of the US population was actually defending the actions of these accused individuals.

I mention it often, but I'm completely disheartened by the degree of tribalism. We live in a "my tribe is always right" society. I thought we had evolved to at least reduce the effects of tribalism, but instead we have shifted in the opposite direction.

It's why I'm such a pessimist now. I don't believe a heavily armed free society can survive under these circumstances. A democracy composed of 2 tribes at war with each other isn't a democracy at all.

Have not watched this case beyond what I have read here, and I just can't imagine a scenario where these guys walk.

The judge on Friday ruled on the scope of its application, it only applies in the immediate time of the alleged crime - it doesn’t stand to deputize citizens for some future arrest.

Interesting nuances I'm picking up on there. I'd guess any decent atty knows the citizens arrest defense is very flawed. I'm in awe of the call for a mistrial because of '21st century lynching' by clergy attendance.

In legal circles, would this be considered a bad atty or just one with no reasonable defense doing everything possible?

Is the prosecution even interested in talking plea?

I mention it often, but I'm completely disheartened by the degree of tribalism.
Yay me from 7ish years ago on this very site, wasting so much time in the Politics board trying to get people to see the other side of any dissidence. I've become apathetic towards any outrage over the years due to this and have pretty much completely stopped following the news because they are seem to be agents of outrage instead of reporting the news. So much so yesterday was the first time I'd even heard of Kyle Rittenhouse.

These people including the person that allowed them to go free without recourse should certain face the steepest consequences.

I found out today that I went to law school with the judge in this case. It sounds like he was drafted into service from a different county after all the local judges recused themselves.

He sent the case to the jury this morning...

Have not watched this case beyond what I have read here, and I just can't imagine a scenario where these guys walk.
I can imagine a scenario where they get far less than you'd think was coming to them, like negligent homicide.

I mean, you can't even hunt a deer like that, running one down with two trucks while carrying long guns. Loss of hunting licenses and fines at a minimum, not to mention the complete disrespect from all the other hunters. And don't think these guys didn't know it.

Must have been liberating and exhilarating for them to finally be able to indulge without all those restrictions and peer pressure.

Does this mean he basically told the jury he is guilty?

How did these attorneys think they could "parse out" JUST part two of the statue of Citizens arrest? ???

i mean the first part is clearly to encompass both misdemeanor and felony, but part 2 SPECIFIC to Felony only. So you STILL HAVE TO SATISFY PART 1 .... ( as the Judge dutifully explained )

the word "if" plays a role here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom