How did I miss this story? (Ahmaud Arbery shooting in Georgia)[MERGED] (3 Viewers)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was talking ‘raw data’ from the viewers pov
Ah, I misread that then. I guess you're arguing that people watching aren't able to really pull out the raw data because it's being presented a certain way. There's some truth to that, but I think for a discerning viewer, they are capable of picking apart the data from the opinion and packaging.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, I misread that then. I guess you're arguing that people watching aren't able to really pull out the raw data because it's being presented a certain way. There's some truth to that, but I think for a discerning viewer, they are capable of picking apart the data from the opinion and packaging.
And that’s fine, like I said to vchip I was expressing why I put no value in anything coming from TC
If you or SbtB others can then cool

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Its just an example of calling the other team a bunch of idiots with a blanketed rejection that they can't think for themselves. As it stands, only one view matters.

Madmarsha

Feral housewife
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Georgia don't play.

Are we sure this isn't Kristen Schaal?

iu

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Murdoch had a decade plus head start and Hearst and Pulitzer preceded both by half a century
I always get a chuckle that there is a Pulitzer Award. That guy was a trash human that didn’t want to pay a living wage to his workers, but now we slap his name on an award and give it to journalists for exceptional work.

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So the value in the segment is derived from the guest and not the host.

This ignores that these segments are almost always tailored for the show, the guest and most importantly the audience.

Are we sure this isn't Kristen Schaal?

iu

You take that back. Kristen Schaal is cute as a button and also my vampire step-mommy (Natasia Demetriou is my real vampire mommy).

I recall this but being pulled from a Last Week with John Oliver (who probably lifted the idea from another program).

It was a segment about Sinclair gobbling up local news stations all over the country and using those stations to disseminate their own political agenda.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I always get a chuckle that there is a Pulitzer Award. That guy was a trash human that didn’t want to pay a living wage to his workers, but now we slap his name on an award and give it to journalists for exceptional work.
Sort of like the Nobel peace prize except he was self aware

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
This ignores that these segments are almost always tailored for the show, the guest and most importantly the audience.

You take that back. Kristen Schaal is cute as a button and also my vampire step-mommy (Natasia Demetriou is my real vampire mommy).

It was a segment about Sinclair gobbling up local news stations all over the country and using those stations to disseminate their own political agenda.

John Oliver does a great job delivering a comical (yet truthful) look on serious problems. His episode on gerrymandering was amazing “have a nice swim in the pool”.

His show has died off a bit, but he did a great job bridging between when Jon Stewart left TDS to now when Stewart’s current show (which is not even as good as his podcast).

While we are on the topic of crazy people and mediums, Joe Rogan has some wild shows that I will often turn off 20 mins in (which is really only 5 mins into the show since the first 15 mins are commercials), but he has some guests on that are great, and incredibly thought provoking. Sadly folks can’t look past the dewormer (and his other hot button topics) to actually listen to his shows. He had an interview with a sleep expert, and another with an infectious disease expert that were both amazingly insightful.

Pod Save America was a great one for a while until they realized the hand that they were biting (Biden) was going to be buttering their bread, so I switched over to Politics War Room w/James Carville (because the ragin Cajun is still bright as a light).

Madmarsha

Feral housewife
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love her, too. She's just who popped in my head. And now that I've done the "side by side", Kristen is much cuter. And, by the way, I want Nandor.

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Many humans go through a traumatic experience at some point in their lives and then spend years after that trying to accept it. Many of us can’t accept the trauma and forgive ourselves of the guilt or shame associated with the trauma. Many of us end up doing destructive things in order to protect ourselves subconsciously without ever really processing the trauma. Macro version of this, Humanity has gone through so many traumatic events that it’s never had the chance to accept the trauma and forgive our self to relieve the shame of our ancestors. We end up continuing a cycle of being destructive, subconsciously in a collective. The wheel keeps turning and without breaking the wheel, we will repeat history over and over. The things we hate so much we end up becoming just like, an eye for an eye instead of forgiveness. We can’t stand racism, yet we end up continuing that hatred for our fellow man through staunch tribalism. We’re so blinded by our beliefs that we can’t even see that we are what we hate. What happened 100 years ago is then. It isn’t now. What happened yesterday will soon become then and not now. Holding on to our past traumas will only serve to continue our destructive tribalism. It’s time for civilization to actually unite through its diversity as civilization should be a mature enough level. By mature, I just mean we are able to communicate instantly all at once as if our collective brain has finally developed. We can keep blaming our ancestors for where we are, but they aren’t here to atone for it. The atonement comes from teaching the next generation not to be like us. As much as we want them to grow up to be just like us. And that’s true for us as well, we learned from our grandparents we try not to make the same mistakes. Anyway, nothing my hippy arse can say on a Saints website will make much of a difference.

footnote: i could have continued writing a book here, but lost the passion for it half way through.

saintmdterps

If you feel like a riot, then don't you deny it
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’d argue corrective lenses not blinders
But that’s a major premise of media literacy, there is no ‘raw data’ in broadcast media - everything is rehearsed, scripted, edited, et al
I’m not saying there is no value to what you see/hear, but it must be understood that’s it’s all engineered

The great benefit of Jon Stewart (and Colbert and Oliver, et al) is they’re at least honest about their dishonesty
My responsibility to myself would be wearing the same corrective lenses if I was watching Rachel Maddow interview a metoo survivor or the like

But as far as Carlson, when Jon Stewart spanked him on his own show decades ago; JS was spot on and TC has done nothing but get substantially worse - he provides no value to the national discourse, but does poison
TX is the worst kind of narcissist. He just says stupid and inflammatory **** just to see what happens, keep the focus on him, and hopefully rile up his base. I’m not even sure TC believes half the garbage he spews.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom