How Did Lattimore Make that Tackle? (1 Viewer)

That’s an awareness of where he was in relation to the yardage marker combined with some superhuman strength. A+ defensive play.

Many tacklers would have gone low, and Williams would have fallen forward. Lat had the instincts and confidence in his strength to go high and win the pushing contest.

It really does seem impossible that Latt was able to stay in front of Williams after the initial contact and then get low and pull him back with enough force that it stopped the forward momentum and trajectory of a guy his size. It was a perfect play call and 99/100 times that is a first down.

I agree that Williams might have lost some leverage with his leg getting contorted a bit and Davis almost wrecked the whole thing ... but it was a really excellent display of raw power and tackling technique.

The Chargers called the perfect play, the Saints called the correct defense -- so it was Williams vs. Latt - skill on skill and Latt won the battle.

I think it was over when Williams left his feet to catch the ball, and then after Lattimore makes contact, Williams leaves his feet again, which probably cost him on forward momentum. If Herbert delivered the ball to where Williams could catch it in stride, I think we might see a different outcome.

I saw on next gen stats that Williams had a 74% chance of making the first down from the moment he caught the ball. It was just an improbable play all around. We’re going to be looking at that tackle for years to come.

great play. Lat got him in the perfect spot. much higher or lower and he may not have been successful. Plus i think it helped that Williams leg was getting bent back in an awkward position, probably stopped him from stretching his arms out for the first down. Also, DD did him him from behind, but like a great player that he is, recognized it and pull back as soon as he could and looked like he may have actually started to pull back on Williams shoulders.

If you notice after the play Williams was in some pain after the tackle. I think that had a lot to do with Lat being able to make that tackle as he did. Plus the weight of DD on it as well.

Even with DD hitting Williams towards the first down, Latt still bent that dude back. This is why I have NEVER said anything even remotely critical about Latt. Dude is a gamer. There are probably only a handful of guys in the NFL that could have made that play, in that fashion. Williams ran a perfect route, had great separation, has the right amount of speed to get to the chains, Herbert had good ball placement, but Latt somehow made that darn play. It’s crazy
Yeah, I was very worried that Davis was going to accidentally knock him forward.

But Lattimore was in full “you SHALL NOT pass” mode

Seriously, after watching it again, how is it even humanly possible that he made that tackle on Williams? Pure luck? Pure will?

Williams is massive and had all the forward leverage. Lattimore deserved a game ball just for that feat. He must be much stronger than I thought.

I don't know the physics behind it all(no pun intended), but when Davis hit him forward, I started to yell at him.

But... somehow him hitting up high while Lattimore held on for dear life low, it buckled him and he lost all momentum.

And, OF COURSE, there were a couple of Heavenly Who Dats sprinkling some magic on the play!

(Also, is Lattimore "stronger" or just gained a lot more mass? He looks chubby...)

Two things in this pic:
1602792489082.png

1- Davis: "Let's go eat!! "
🦁
(while in Hulk Hogan pose)

2- MW: I want to tackle like that when I grow up!

Last edited:
I don't know the physics behind it all(no pun intended), but when Davis hit him forward, I started to yell at him.

But... somehow him hitting up high while Lattimore held on for dear life low, it buckled him and he lost all momentum.

And, OF COURSE, there were a couple of Heavenly Who Dats sprinkling some magic on the play!

(Also, is Lattimore "stronger" or just gained a lot more mass? He looks chubby...)
I believe I read somewhere that he said he actually lost some weight

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom