How Did Lattimore Make that Tackle? (1 Viewer)

The ball location was slightly sus, honestly if it was dead on the numbers... easily could’ve got the first. Williams’ velocity decreased significantly to extend up losing his forward momentum, and rather than extending the ball for more yards, he (Williams) was more expecting the incoming blow from then secondary. Latt letting him get the catch allowed him to focused on using his force to stop Williams and ML used his body to pivot Williams even more. What the hell do I know.. all I know is that is the heart to win.

This is why I say "players have to make plays" when they have a chance. If Lattimore doesn't make that tackle then ya'll are complaining about Dennis Allen blitzing. The blitz actually worked that play by forcing Herbert to get rid of the ball early, but sometimes it doesn't. Lattimore mad a great tackle.

Lattimore wrapped him up at the perfect time after the catch, and got Williams before he was able to get into a strong position to lean towards the line to gain...

It was a very nice tackle, and right on time!

I’m wondering if Williams had a leg bending in an awkward position and then had a reflex reaction to not continuing to torque on it and maybe injure a knee. The way he all of the sudden lunges backwards makes me question it but I’d have to look at it again.

But not taking anything away from Lattimore. Huge display of sheer will...
That is exactly what happened. WR was more concerned with preservation of his knee when it got bent under him than he was fighting for first. Can’t blame him.

But he’s not a true shutdown corner... Pay the man!

Seriously, after watching it again, how is it even humanly possible that he made that tackle on Williams? Pure luck? Pure will?

Williams is massive and had all the forward leverage. Lattimore deserved a game ball just for that feat. He must be much stronger than I thought.
Watch it again and you'll see Williams didn't have all that forward leverage you speak of.

The problem is the pass isn't leading him and he has to pause his route to a great extent just to make sure he catches the ball. He lost a lot of his forward momentum. If Herbert leads him, I don't think Lattimore could have stopped him. Watch the video with Baldy and he even references Latt preventing Williams from getting any forward momentum after the catch.

That being said, it is still an incredible play by a cornerback who is much smaller that the receiver.

Last edited:
What's frustrating about Latt is one game, he will completely eliminate elite receivers like Mike Evans and Amari Cooper; and then other games, you can tell his head's just not in the game. When he's focused, I don't think there's a better corner in the league. But when he's not, the results are pretty bad.

What's frustrating about Latt is one game, he will completely eliminate elite receivers like Mike Evans and Amari Cooper; and then other games, you can tell his head's just not in the game. When he's focused, I don't think there's a better corner in the league. But when he's not, the results are pretty bad.
I think this is a fair assessment.

AM I imagining things or did we finally get good Lattimore after he made a big play last year too?

Maybe we get good Lattimore after the bye week. We need him badly. Our secondary was supposed to be our strength, not our most glaring weakness.

Its easy to say that Lattimore is just paying badly this year, and I know he has been inconsistent in his career so far, but has anybody who studies game film looked at our QB pressure? Are opposing QBs getting more time?
Also how much of it has been a lack of help from the safeties?

I honestly don't know and was hoping for some input from posters who go back after the game and study that sort of thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom