How Did Mike Hoss Sound Calling the Games? (1 Viewer)

It kind of feels like PBP is a thankless job. Its an old tradition necessary for those who can’t watch the game. So you are busy describing while the other guys gets to entertain and in that way it’s kind of like straight man. Unless you are Jim Henderson who we have been comforted by his voice since we were kids, it just isn’t something you give much credit to. Given the big shoes that he is trying to fill, I don’t think we could do a whole lot better than Mike. He is at least a very familiar sports voice and he will settle in to it.

His first preseason telecast was a little rocky, but there's been noticeable improvement since then.

I also noticed the raspiness in his voice occasionally, tends to be later in games.

I only listened in the beginning of the second half because I had to run an errand and was in my car. Was able to watch most of it.

I was really disappointed primarily because he would describe what the play was but not tell you the result.

What I mean by that is he would say that it was a running play to the right side, or a passing play to the right side, or that someone had room to run, but then he did not follow that up with how may yards were gained or whether they got the first down or where the new line of scrimmage was. Very hard to figure out what happened when he did that.

Hopefully he will correct that because he could be very good.

He could never be very good. Listen to Carolina's PBP guy and notice the difference.

Mike Hoss is as solid as it gets doing sports behind an anchor desk. I've found a way to watch games this season without needing the radio, so I haven't heard him yet.

But if he's raspy, his voice must be showing his age. He's been in N.O. for the better part of what, 30 years now? All announcers show their age in their voice at a certain point. And he had to better than listening to Frick and Frack on the Fox broadcast, eh? ;)

Love the Pelicans announcer Joel. He does a great job for the preseason games and called national NFL games for Westwood one radio.

That's oddly specific.
It’s actually quite a common procedure for people who use their voice to make a living. Of course, I am merely speculating. Post surgery, their voice sounds a certain way; in fact, they sound similar to what Mike Hoss sounds like now.

He always sounds like he is about to lose his voice. Instinctively I feel bad for him and want him to stop talking even though I know it is just his normal voice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom