Saints How did WR Marquez Callaway go undrafted? Did we get another steal? (1 Viewer)

Calloway has good size, but not elite size. He's a little slow for an NFL WR, clocking a 4.55 40 at the Combine, and he does not appear to play faster than his 40 time. His routes are not crisp. He does look to have good strength and the ability to out-physical CB's on 50-50 balls, but most of the plays on the highlight video were not against top-notch competition. How would he fare against NFL DBs? If he makes the roster, it will be strictly as a backup, and he's probably at least a couple of years away from making an impact in the NFL, as WR is probably the hardest position to master at the pro level.

We tend to love receivers who are slow and do not have quick acceleration. If you review the past UDFAs, they all tend to fit the same role. Harris is different and I believe he was primarily looked at as a returner, rather than a receiver when we brought him in.

I believe he was brought in because he is physical and can potentially win those 50/50 matchups. If that's all he brings to the table, then it will be hard to beat out people like LJH or Hogan - who are used as glorified TEs.

So don't give your hopes up on him making the roster and making a serious difference this year. Of course I would love to be wrong, but the past has taught me not to give my hopes up in this situation.

He’s an UDFA which always means he’s on the outside looking in. But he’s also surrounded but a bunch of other UDFAs with worse film.

I really like Callaway because he at least show some elite traits. He has phenomenal hands, can win contested passes, and is probably one of the better high pointer that I’ve seen.

The questions are: 1) can he play special teams, 2) can he separate and make short to intermediate catches, and 3) can he learn the playbook. If he does enough of those three things I think he makes the team because he’s more talented than our other #4-5 options.

We fall in love with these UDFA and their highlight tapes and when they suit up they just look like a camp body taking reps from the starters so they don't get over worked.

I don't see Calliway going undrafted but bursting on the scene on this team with it's talent, let alone a unseating a player who may of gone undrafted as well has a year in this offense and league (Butler, LJH).
We fall in love with anyone who wears the black and gold. We are family. Once they change colors....., you’re not in the family..., unless you change back to our colors, of course.

The kid is so much more than we expected. GREAT job ndcc!
Also, kudos to those of you who said he would be a steal with the right coaching etc.
No doubt. I try to temper my expectations with these guys, especially since we've had so many come and go. But it really did look like we've got a really good player here.

Rhetorical question, for sure... there were a lot of great prospects on the big board. The Saints obviously figured that one would fall to the UDFA ranks. They were correct.

Here are some of the NEGATIVE scouting comments about Callaway. In watching the highlight video, I think they need to do a reassessment:

Weaknesses
  • Too many feast-or-famine box scores
  • Needs to play faster and do less coasting
  • Route-running doesn't manipulate the coverage
  • Not enough speed variance to separate on intermediate routes
  • Slow to gather and open on comebacks
  • Rarely beats tight coverage underneath
  • Route tree has limited branch development
  • Too easily crowded against the boundary
That was from NFL.com

The video seems to tell a very different story:

View: https://youtu.be/efMEjQlJ9Ds

I think this kid has a legit shot at pushing Lil' Jordan and others to the outside-looking-in. We'll see. :scratch:

:gosaints:

Admin error - that NFL report was meant for Markuez Kalloway...

I live in Knoxville and watch Vols games that don't interfere with LSU games....

Callaway, to me, just jumped off the screen more than Jennings. He's fast, can catch. The QB / line play certainly affected both. He just looked like an NFL WR in college. I'm hopeful.

I also live in Knoxville and Callaway fell for the same reason Kamara did - Coaching, rotating QB position, poor QB play, rotating coaching staff, and not a lot of Nationally Televised games because of a poor record. I was actually higher on Jennings on draft day and still am curious to see what he does in the NFL. I thought he was a great locker room leader, fantastic RAC yards, and great hands. That said, I have been very impressed with Callaway in the NFL and if we got the better receiver of the two I am perfectly happy with that.

I also live in Knoxville and Callaway fell for the same reason Kamara did - Coaching, rotating QB position, poor QB play, rotating coaching staff, and not a lot of Nationally Televised games because of a poor record. I was actually higher on Jennings on draft day and still am curious to see what he does in the NFL. I thought he was a great locker room leader, fantastic RAC yards, and great hands. That said, I have been very impressed with Callaway in the NFL and if we got the better receiver of the two I am perfectly happy with that.

where did Jennings go ?

Took the same fastrack route to the line up as Willie Snead if I'm remembering right.
Very good UDFA pickup. I agree that going drafted was more to blame on his college
team than it was him as a player. He got his chance with us and made the most of it
and proved himself.

That makes me think he hasn't nearly shown what he can be. Blaming his college team
for his draft scouting report tells me that he probably didn't get that much development there.
If that's the case, and he was able to do what he's done this year with no spring camp, no
offseason work, and basically no training camp... the sky is the limit for Calloway.

And aint it nice to have two very strong kick returners?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom