How do I fix this cat? (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Tuesday morning I dropped off a bunch of soft cat, and dog, food at the local humane society (Meowschwitz).

I'm too busy for a dog. It's common for me to be gone for 24-36 hours at a time. I don't have anything against cats so I asked to see what they have.

They had cats in general population and they had some in solitary confinement. I went to the solitary cats and asked to see their most difficult to adopt out.

They opened the cage of an estimated, 13 year old cat. They said that they won't adopt him out to anybody with kids, or other pets, and that he's slow to warm up to people. He liked me so I had them box him up. They had named him Emerald. That's a stripper's name so I changed it to (The Big) Lemeowski, or "Dude."

I got him home and set up a litter box in the basement and some food and water. We spent an hour with him crawling on me and then I headed to work and meetings. I got home 23 hours later.

I found 3 pooh piles in the dining room and nothing in the litter box. I haven't been successful finding urine. He had to pee right?

I got him a water fountain and set that up in the kitchen and put the food in the dining room.

Then I got another litter box and put that in one of my bathrooms. We went to sleep with no incidents. I left for another meeting and got home about 5 hours later. 5 more pooh piles but urine in the upstairs litter box.

When I was checking the basement box he stood at the top of the stairs and yelled at me. I went back upstairs and we ate. I went back downstairs for laundry and he stood at the top of the stairs and he yelled at me the whole time. Maybe he's afraid of the basement?

I brought that box upstairs. We'll see. I'm tired of cleaning the floor. He's an awesome cat and he deserves better than dying in Meowschwitz so I'm not going to take him back but I need to fix this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
The Dude quit drinking on Monday night. Last night, when I got home from work I found him, collapsed in the hallway. I picked him up and we sat on the porch and listened to the crickets. Eventually, he wanted me to put him down so I put him on his usual porch chair and I told him goodnight.

I found him there this morning. I'm going to bury him in a useless patch by the garage and plant catnip there. He was a big fan.

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Peace and comfort to your family.

I've had to put down two canines. Vet was awesome, situation was about as comfortable as it could be made, but it was still a tear-filled process. Older dog was a 13-year old lab mix, and his rear hips just gave out. Younger was a beagle/rat terrier (10-11 years old) mix (yeah, weird, I know) and she had some sort of stroke; kept walking in circles and stopped eating and drinking. We just knew and the Vet confirmed.

Make every effort to recount and enjoy the memories of their life; rather than the episode of finality.

It's just something you have to prepare yourself for when deciding to be a pet owner.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Dude quit drinking on Monday night. Last night, when I got home from work I found him, collapsed in the hallway. I picked him up and we sat on the porch and listened to the crickets. Eventually, he wanted me to put him down so I put him on his usual porch chair and I told him goodnight.

I found him there this morning. I'm going to bury him in a useless patch by the garage and plant catnip there. He was a big fan.
Oh man I'm sorry. Peace and Blessings to the Dude on his journey. Peace and Blessings to you as well for giving him a great home. Be well, my friend.

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Dude is hanging on by a thread.

Today is day six without eating.

He has his favorite dry food, and his favorite treats out 24/7.

Twice a day I swap out some wet food. A new flavor/ brand each time.

I've been trying to give him some of my food.

My sister suggests bone broth which I'll try tonight but I don't have high hopes because one of his favorite foods is swimming in broth and he won't touch it.

He drinks more water than any cat that I've seen.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a vet appointment.

He's wobbly when he walks, his purrer barely works, he's very lethargic. He just sits in the picture window or on the back of the couch.
The Dude was in acute renal failure. The near-pathological drinking is symptomatic of end-stage diabetes. What happens is the kidneys shut down and the cat becomes backed up with impurities. However, they just kind of become delirious and the end is actually painless. The Dude died a very peaceful death.

It happens to humans as well. I've had several of my patients go through it and there was no suffering.

You did the right thing at every step.

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Dude was in acute renal failure. The near-pathological drinking is symptomatic of end-stage diabetes. What happens is the kidneys shut down and the cat becomes backed up with impurities. However, they just kind of become delirious and the end is actually painless. The Dude died a very peaceful death.

It happens to humans as well. I've had several of my patients go through it and there was no suffering.

Now I'll go gett his mess outta my eyes...

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry Eeyore.

heckuva thing you did for that cat. Truly. Losing ours a couple weeks ago was heartbreaking But we’ve decided that our next one will be older in need of a loving home. We’d been talking about the ‘next’ pet for us and it’s still way too soon to get one.

we still hear and see our Sable all over the house.

but when the time comes, that’s what we are going to do. Your post was the final inspiration.

thanks. From us. And on behalf of the cat that you did so much for.

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

So sorry man, Oye said it much better than I ever could. You did right by your cat.

OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score

Thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom