How do I fix this cat? (1 Viewer)

Get another cat. It won't add much effort at all to your daily routine, but will comfort your elderly cat immeasurably. We have 2, and are able to leave the house without too much feline angst. Your cat trusts you and relies on you, and is obviously uncomfortable when you're not home.

Go box up another kitty :)
This is a case by case thing I believe. Our indoor cat is old and outdoor cat is less than a year. We try to put them in garage together. Old cat wants nothing to do with young one. Young one tries to play and old one just hisses the whole time. This has been going on for months after the kids have tried numerous times to get them to be friends.

Our ginger shorthair contents herself with knocking my son's guitar picks off of whatever flat surface he's placed them, then carries one around in her mouth and drops it off whenever and wherever the spirit so moves her.

...and right cue here she is....plotting07FCC7C1-D5DC-4FDA-9414-6C92FF9B5214.jpeg
Thanos (still regretting giving him that name) has an obsession with twist-ties and loves to play fetch with them... yes, fetch.

This is a case by case thing I believe. Our indoor cat is old and outdoor cat is less than a year. We try to put them in garage together. Old cat wants nothing to do with young one. Young one tries to play and old one just hisses the whole time. This has been going on for months after the kids have tried numerous times to get them to be friends.
You're right. Some cats and dogs have the Alpha thing, where they're the one and only.

Get another cat. It won't add much effort at all to your daily routine, but will comfort your elderly cat immeasurably. We have 2, and are able to leave the house without too much feline angst. Your cat trusts you and relies on you, and is obviously uncomfortable when you're not home.

I'll talk to the vet first. I had intended on two from the start but Meowschwitz didn't want to send him somewhere with other animals

Hmmm.
Kudos to you for taking him in and the words you use are awesomely funny.

On to the feline, is it Schrödinger’s cat?
I can confirm that he's alive so I guess not.

I wonder if his owner is ill, or dead. Paramedics could have had the door open long enough for a scared cat to run away.I doubt that somebody kept a cat for 13 years and then dumped it outside in a Chicago December with no front claws. The Dude is lucky to be alive.

I can confirm that he's alive so I guess not.

I wonder if his owner is ill, or dead. Paramedics could have had the door open long enough for a scared cat to run away.I doubt that somebody kept a cat for 13 years and then dumped it outside in a Chicago December with no front claws. The Dude is lucky to be alive.

Agreed.

i have mixed experiences with older cats introduced to other cats. if you could foster one (a known sociable cat) for a trial, that could be a good test.

i have mixed experiences with older cats introduced to other cats. if you could foster one (a known sociable cat) for a trial, that could be a good test.
The Dude is still very nervous. He still won't go near the basement, and he just sits on his blanket unless he wants attention. He won't even play. I'll talk to the vet about it but this might not be a good time.

He's eating like a 20lb cat though so that's a good sign.

The Dude is still very nervous. He still won't go near the basement, and he just sits on his blanket unless he wants attention. He won't even play. I'll talk to the vet about it but this might not be a good time.

He's eating like a 20lb cat though so that's a good sign.
that is my worry, about the nervousness that is. at 13, personally, i'd let him live alone and get adjusted to the life of being spoiled by his humans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom