How do I fix this cat? (3 Viewers)

The Dude is hanging on by a thread.

Today is day six without eating.

He has his favorite dry food, and his favorite treats out 24/7.

Twice a day I swap out some wet food. A new flavor/ brand each time.

I've been trying to give him some of my food.

My sister suggests bone broth which I'll try tonight but I don't have high hopes because one of his favorite foods is swimming in broth and he won't touch it.

He drinks more water than any cat that I've seen.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a vet appointment.

He's wobbly when he walks, his purrer barely works, he's very lethargic. He just sits in the picture window or on the back of the couch.

I had a cat 10 years ago that was old (17) and went through the same thing. I took her to the vet and he didn't seem hopeful but had me mix the canned food with some water to make it a paste that could be put into a turkey baster or large syringe. squirt that into her mouth and make her eat. 4 days later she literally collapsed and the floor so I picked her up and took her back to the vet and they said there was no chance for her. She was dying of old age and her heart was giving out and that she was suffering and wouldn't make it through another day so I let them put her down. I hated it but it was for the best for her. Hopefully you have a better outcome. But just wanted to to prepare yourself for what happened to me since your cat is only a year or so younger than mine was.

I had a cat 10 years ago that was old (17) and went through the same thing. I took her to the vet and he didn't seem hopeful but had me mix the canned food with some water to make it a paste that could be put into a turkey baster or large syringe. squirt that into her mouth and make her eat. 4 days later she literally collapsed and the floor so I picked her up and took her back to the vet and they said there was no chance for her. She was dying of old age and her heart was giving out and that she was suffering and wouldn't make it through another day so I let them put her down. I hated it but it was for the best for her. Hopefully you have a better outcome. But just wanted to to prepare yourself for what happened to me since your cat is only a year or so younger than mine was.
I've been preparing for it, thanks. He looks terrible. The whole point of adopting him was so that he didn't die in the joint but it's hard to watch.

I had somebody suggest force feeding him a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem right.

We went through our cat being put down a couple weeks ago for really wobbly behavior. That is usually often indicative of nerve issue or a mild stroke. In our cat’s case it was a brain clot that led to the stroke - she was 17.

the inappetance can be a lot of things and just because the cat is drinking a lot doesn’t mean it’s good. Again in our cats case it was a thyroid issue and she was on medication. But it was helping.

we had the thyroid issue diagnosed months ago and she was doing well. Huge change... and I thought for sure she was dying then. Turns out, she just needed the thyroid medication.

but she recovered exceptionally well, until the stroke months later. The thyroid is common in cats and can cause all sorts of problems. Including lethargy and wobbliness and inappetance.

but it could also be nerves. We saw both. One diagnosis is obviously better than the other.

as a 13 year old cAt, I would move to wet food. That was the first thing we were told months ago. And it made a difference. cats systems are so temperamental. But definitely should consult the vet.

thoughts are with you, man

I've been preparing for it, thanks. He looks terrible. The whole point of adopting him was so that he didn't die in the joint but it's hard to watch.

I had somebody suggest force feeding him a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem right.

I hated the force feeding also, but if would save her I was willing to try, unfortunately it didn't work. I hope you have better luck.

My sister suggests bone broth which I'll try tonight but I don't have high hopes because one of his favorite foods is swimming in broth and he won't touch it.

He's wobbly when he walks, his purrer barely works, he's very lethargic. He just sits in the picture window or on the back of the couch.
Sounds diabetic. Yes cats get it. Mine lived another 5 years after diagnosis and medication.

The Dude quit drinking on Monday night. Last night, when I got home from work I found him, collapsed in the hallway. I picked him up and we sat on the porch and listened to the crickets. Eventually, he wanted me to put him down so I put him on his usual porch chair and I told him goodnight.

I found him there this morning. I'm going to bury him in a useless patch by the garage and plant catnip there. He was a big fan.

Sorry to hear. Peace and comfort to your family.

I've had to put down two canines. Vet was awesome, situation was about as comfortable as it could be made, but it was still a tear-filled process. Older dog was a 13-year old lab mix, and his rear hips just gave out. Younger was a beagle/rat terrier (10-11 years old) mix (yeah, weird, I know) and she had some sort of stroke; kept walking in circles and stopped eating and drinking. We just knew and the Vet confirmed.

Make every effort to recount and enjoy the memories of their life; rather than the episode of finality.

It's just something you have to prepare yourself for when deciding to be a pet owner.

The Dude quit drinking on Monday night. Last night, when I got home from work I found him, collapsed in the hallway. I picked him up and we sat on the porch and listened to the crickets. Eventually, he wanted me to put him down so I put him on his usual porch chair and I told him goodnight.

I found him there this morning. I'm going to bury him in a useless patch by the garage and plant catnip there. He was a big fan.
Oh man I'm sorry. Peace and Blessings to the Dude on his journey. Peace and Blessings to you as well for giving him a great home. Be well, my friend.

The Dude was in acute renal failure. The near-pathological drinking is symptomatic of end-stage diabetes. What happens is the kidneys shut down and the cat becomes backed up with impurities. However, they just kind of become delirious and the end is actually painless. The Dude died a very peaceful death.

It happens to humans as well. I've had several of my patients go through it and there was no suffering.

You did the right thing at every step.

The Dude was in acute renal failure. The near-pathological drinking is symptomatic of end-stage diabetes. What happens is the kidneys shut down and the cat becomes backed up with impurities. However, they just kind of become delirious and the end is actually painless. The Dude died a very peaceful death.

It happens to humans as well. I've had several of my patients go through it and there was no suffering.

You did the right thing at every step.

Now I'll go gett his mess outta my eyes...

Sorry Eeyore.

heckuva thing you did for that cat. Truly. Losing ours a couple weeks ago was heartbreaking But we’ve decided that our next one will be older in need of a loving home. We’d been talking about the ‘next’ pet for us and it’s still way too soon to get one.

we still hear and see our Sable all over the house.

but when the time comes, that’s what we are going to do. Your post was the final inspiration.

thanks. From us. And on behalf of the cat that you did so much for.

So sorry man, Oye said it much better than I ever could. You did right by your cat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom