How do I fix this cat? (3 Viewers)

Losing a pet is tough, but it sounds like you and The Dude made each others' lives better. Godspeed Dude.

The Dude was in acute renal failure. The near-pathological drinking is symptomatic of end-stage diabetes. What happens is the kidneys shut down and the cat becomes backed up with impurities. However, they just kind of become delirious and the end is actually painless. The Dude died a very peaceful death.

It happens to humans as well. I've had several of my patients go through it and there was no suffering.

You did the right thing at every step.
Thank you

A coworker took in a pregnant stray. I took two. The Gray one follows me everywhere. The orange one is a bit of a loner but he eventually starts crying when he needs attention. They're wherever the action is. So far, they're excellent pets.

Tentative names are Harry and Lloyd. Could be Eeyore and Tigger (colors). They'll probably name themselves.

Attachments

• PXL_20220101_201026102.jpg
    PXL_20220101_201026102.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220101_182333195.jpg
    PXL_20220101_182333195.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
A coworker took in a pregnant stray. I took two. The Gray one follows me everywhere. The orange one is a bit of a loner but he eventually starts crying when he needs attention. They're wherever the action is. So far, they're excellent pets.

Tentative names are Harry and Lloyd. Could be Eeyore and Tigger (colors). They'll probably name themselves.
awesome - handle them a LOT at this age - see if they'll let you pet bellies, play with their toes, et al

Awe, that reminds me when we brought home our Cirilla almost 2 years ago.

Screenshot_20220101-155728_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

If you wait for them to tell you their name, and you use it, they'll come when called some of the time.

However if you name them what you want to call them it's way less likely that they will respond to their name.

What I do is pay attention to them while I and others are talking about them while also playing with them.

I take notice when they perk up when certain words are used. Then I try out name words that have the same sounds as the words that I have observed that they're interested in. G's, W's, E's, T's and K's are often candidates for those arrays of interesting sounds, but are by no means a complete list of letter sounds.

Both Tutter and Tigger are names that more than one cat has told me was their name. Harry and Lloyd don't sound like a names that a cat would choose. Eeyore sure sounds possible though.

The last stray to come into the house clearly said her name was Gwen by that sounds and test method I use. We use it and she's pretty good about coming to it.

We have 2 older cats - got both through the humane society here. The oldest was a 18 mo. male The second which we got a year later was a 10 month old female.

The male was names Spock and the female T'pol (we're trekkies if anyone should be in doubt)

Both responds to Spock :ROFLMAO:

We have 2 older cats - got both through the humane society here. The oldest was a 18 mo. male The second which we got a year later was a 10 month old female.

The male was names Spock and the female T'pol (we're trekkies if anyone should be in doubt)

Both responds to Spock :ROFLMAO:
This is more inline with Stargate SG-1 than Star Trek but an often overlooked name that a cat will choose for itself is Yu or (You).

People stumble over it all the time and don't even notice that it's only when they get frustrated when the cat won't come that they call their cat by the correct name.

Eventually after they've tired out calling their cat in vain will they say "Come Here Yu," and that's when their cat comes, but the next time they will make the same mistake all over again, and never ever learn.

awesome - handle them a LOT at this age - see if they'll let you pet bellies, play with their toes, et al
The gray one will. He's sleeping in my shoulder right now. I can touch his belly, ears, etc. He follows me everywhere. The orange one just spent an hour hiding under the kitchen table and started crying when he realized that he was alone. He's been scared all day. He walked to me but found that I had turned on the electric blanket and now he's purring like a chainsaw. Picking him up just irritates him and he heads back to the blanket.

Considering that it's their first day without their Mom I'd say that they're doing well. It was an hour and a half drive and they howled the whole time. I hope that they can handle it when I go to sleep. Puppies are terrible until they forget their Mom.

Meanwhile, my old female cat that I never really wanted in the first place that is named after Ozzie Osbourne because The Osbournes new hit reality show had just finished their first year on MTv (!!) has made it into 2022 (and yet Betty White doesn't). Surely this is some kind of penance from the Princess of Darkness.

Last edited:
We named ours Skimmer, adopted her during the oil spill, as in oil skimmer. She answers to: Skim, skimfat, mimee, banana, minny, slounge (a combo of sleep and lounge). It's all in the tone of voice. We never actually call her skimmer though. If we are P'Oed at her it's Skim.

I had a couple of friends who had a cat they named Dog

Usually pets really like me but Dog most certainly did not

I learned to never wear shorts to their house as the one time I did I was just standing there minding my own business when Dog leaped out from the shadows and made a single slash down the front of my shin. The amazing part is that after cleaning the blood up, we realized that the cat had branded me as the slash somehow left a very large 'D' on the front of my shin

I couldn't even be mad....I was just impressed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom