How do I sell a house without a realtor? (1 Viewer)

Here is a trick a lot of realtors use." I can get 300k for that house. I have two couples interested in one just like it. Let me list it. Three weeks later... The market has changed drastically and I think you should take a 145 k offer. But I still want my 6%. The secret is that if they don't bring the asking price you can re-negotiate the commission. Realtors hate when you come back and tell em, ok but you'll get 1,5% at that price.

You do realize that a percentage commission equals a dollar amount that scales with an increasing or decreasing price, right? You speak of this as if it's a flat fee. :blink1:

You do realize that a percentage commission equals a dollar amount that scales with an increasing or decreasing price, right? You speak of this as if it's a flat fee. :blink1:

Of course but 30,000 less to the seller is a lot more then 900 to a realtor who has nothing invested. I have a ton of money invested in a house and that's a huge loss to me ... to a realtor who has nothing invested , why would he care abou losing a few bucks. Doing bring the asking price and you are getting less then6%

Should have found a better realtor. ;)

The last two homes I've sold were sold within days ( the first sold in a day, the second sold in a week). Both of them were sold thanks to aggressive marketing by the realtor, and a realtor who knew how to close a deal.

Going back to an earlier post. Someone said they sold a house without a realtor, and they did an open house every weekend. Then, they mentioned a timeframe of 6-8 weeks. On a $100,000 that's up to 16 weekend days given up to save $3,000. To me, that isn't worth the money.

Also...one other thing to think about...a good realtor will also help you price your hosue correctly, and will find ways to increase your end result (such as my last realtor telling the buyer that the only way we'd accept their offer was if they picked up a certain amount of the closing costs---which happend to be 1/4 the value of the agent's commission). If you pay a realtor $5,000 to sell your house, and because of the realtor's work, your house sells for $6,000 more than it would have without them....you didn't really lose anything did you?

You are correct with everything you say. The only reason i didnt list right away was because it was January and before the buying season and i was pricing my house for a quick sale AND i was taking a huge hit on the house, so i was just penny pinching. But if it was peak time, no way do i do it on my own.

As far as Krushing goes....to each his own.

I sold my first house 6 years ago using Buyowner.com. They had different packages you could choose from. They sent out a rep to take pictures and create the website for buyers to take a virtual tour of my house. The whole process took about 2 weeks and I saved on the commission. Well worth it then. I don't know how they are now.

I sold my first house 6 years ago using Buyowner.com. They had different packages you could choose from. They sent out a rep to take pictures and create the website for buyers to take a virtual tour of my house. The whole process took about 2 weeks and I saved on the commission. Well worth it then. I don't know how they are now.

6 years ago and today is 2 totally different markets.

The Op asked about the process. The process is still the same. The market didn't change the process.

I believe he was responding to you adding the 2 weeks it took you to sell your home, not to the process you explained.

6 years ago half of southern La was looking for a home to live in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom