How Do Teams Defend Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
“Drew Brees’ completion percentage drops from 74.6% when both outside cornerbacks are playing ‘off coverage’ compared to 57.6% when both are pressed. Two-man coverage has also given him the most problems of any defensive coverage. Do with that information what you will.”

I saw this posted on a Tampa fan forum and I wondered if this has contributed to our offensive struggles. I'm not saying we can't score points. I'm strictly talking about the defensive approach teams take with Drew. Is this drop in percentage related to Drew or our receivers inability to separate? In any event, I'm hoping we can get a honest discussion on how defenses will continue to approach us in the playoffs and how we adjust to beat press coverage if we need to.

“Drew Brees’ completion percentage drops from 74.6% when both outside cornerbacks are playing ‘off coverage’ compared to 57.6% when both are pressed. Two-man coverage has also given him the most problems of any defensive coverage. Do with that information what you will.”

I saw this posted on a Tampa fan forum and I wondered if this has contributed to our offensive struggles. I'm not saying we can't score points. I'm strictly talking about the defensive approach teams take with Drew. Is this drop in percentage related to Drew or our receivers inability to separate? In any event, I'm hoping we can get a honest discussion on how defenses will continue to approach us in the playoffs and how we adjust to beat press coverage if we need to.

I think/hope it’s pretty simple: injuries to our best WRs this year forced into action backup players. Backup players who aren’t nearly as good at beating press coverage.

Michael Thomas, on the other hand, annihilates press coverage.

Now, Davis DID do a nice job against MT in week one. And Tampa played a lot more zone than they usually did in the second matchup.

If MT can beat Davis at the line OR if Sanders, Harris, Cook and Kamara can take advantage of mismatches elsewhere, we will be fine.

But Brees’ overall numbers against Man/press this season are a direct reflection of our WRs being out. Not any magic bean to stop Brees.

I think/hope it’s pretty simple: injuries to our best WRs this year forced into action backup players. Backup players who aren’t nearly as good at beating press coverage.

Michael Thomas, on the other hand, annihilates press coverage.

Now, Davis DID do a nice job against MT in week one. And Tampa played a lot more zone than they usually did in the second matchup.

If MT can beat Davis at the line OR if Sanders, Harris, Cook and Kamara can take advantage of mismatches elsewhere, we will be fine.

But Brees’ overall numbers against Man/press this season are a direct reflection of our WRs being out. Not any magic bean to stop Brees.

I think you're partly correct, but I do think his ability to put the ball into precise windows has dwindled at various depths, which is likely contributing to this in part. Press man results in needing more accurate placement, provided the CB maintains a tight level of separation from the WR.

I think you're partly correct, but I do think his ability to put the ball into precise windows has dwindled at various depths, which is likely contributing to this in part. Press man results in needing more accurate placement, provided the CB maintains a tight level of separation from the WR.

Except Brees had the 4th best QBR in the entire league vs. man coverage in 2019. And his arm has actually looked stronger this year since coming back than it did in 2019.

Not sure if this is more related to us missing MT13 and Harris, then eventually Sanders as well for a few games because Brees was 4th in QBR last year against man coverage.

Still, this one stat has me worried. I definitely think the key is blitzing Brees and playing press man, especially if you don’t have a front like the Rams or Bears to only rush four. I think we’re going to struggle offensively.

Not sure if this is more related to us missing MT13 and Harris, then eventually Sanders as well for a few games because Brees was 4th in QBR last year against man coverage.

Still, this one stat has me worried. I definitely think the key is blitzing Brees and playing press man, especially if you don’t have a front like the Rams or Bears to only rush four. I think we’re going to struggle offensively.

So the answer is on this site. So many complained pretty early on about how our WRs get no separation. That was without Thomas and Sanders. The young WRs were just starting to find their footing ( assignments in blocking etc ) and much of their focus was on that THEN foot/hand work to defeat press coverage. Harris can do simply with his quickness.

If tampa goes man, expect more stacked WRs. If they play zone, watch out.

But the real key is and always will be pressure up the middle. We contain that, Drew will progress to the open man. Regardless of coverage scheme.

We don't get separation for the most part. Kamara can. Even Michael Thomas doesn't get amazing separation, he's just amazing at catching in tight coverage and using his body well. Brees constantly has to thread the needle. Look back at last weekend in the Washington Tampa Bay game. Every pass Brady made the WR had at least a 10 yard open cushion. We can only dream of having that.

Except Brees had the 4th best QBR in the entire league vs. man coverage in 2019. And his arm has actually looked stronger this year since coming back than it did in 2019.

Curious how you can say his arm has looked stronger? Each year average air yard per attempt has gradually declined for Brees. In 2018 it was 7.1 yards, last year 6.4 yards and this year 6.0 yards. We throw deep and intermediate passes less and less each year.

The worst thing you can do against Brees is blitz.

Biggest key, as @efil4stnias said, is eliminating pressure up the middle. We couldn’t do that against Hicks, but the Bucs don’t have anyone like him. Aaron Donald is the only guy left who can do what he did.

We do need to do a better job against JPP than we did previously. But there are a few reasons why this matchup is pretty favorable to us.

Curious how you can say his arm has looked stronger? Each year average air yard per attempt has gradually declined for Brees. In 2018 it was 7.1 yards, last year 6.4 yards and this year 6.0 yards. We throw deep and intermediate passes less and less each year.

I’d encourage you to check out Underhill’s breakdowns.

The overall numbers being down this year are a reflection of a) losing WRs early in the season and b) Brees fighting through some injuries early.

Since he’s been back, the Saints have been dialing up plays for him that they haven’t in years. And he’s being more aggressive.

That's the whole thing. I think his velocity and depth of throw might be up this year, but it's at the cost of accuracy. Last year, it seemed like he was playing it safe and not attempting to throw more than 20-25 yards because he felt like he couldn't be as accurate as he prides himself on being at that throw depth. This year, it seems like he's trusting his arm the same way he used to.. and the ball just isn't getting to those super precise spots that we become accustomed to expecting of the Brees of 2006-2017. It's getting there, and most of the time it's being caught. But, the ball ends up in awkward spots from time to time, and adjustments needs to be made.

I hope they run 2 man the whole game then. We will run for 400 yards.

This is where stats lie because 2 man is something you run when they know you are going to throw the ball. It’s like saying you should run prevent defense because they burn you deep less than when you blitz.

If they run 2 man every first down there will be a lot “Kill Kill” that results in 8 yard gains running the ball.

I feel like the KC game is probably skewing a lot of that data. They played press man coverage every play against 4 practice squad WRs and a 3rd year run blocker. Still almost won that game, which is insane!

Edit: Romo or whoever it was even highlighted on several plays how covered everyone was and lamented "What do you expect Drew to do here? There's no where to throw it even for him."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom