How do we match-up against the Broncos? (1 Viewer)

Looking more and more like we will be playing only a few parts of the Broncos defense.

After watching the Raiders I like our matchups on the line of scrimmage on both sides. Our DL should be able to get a lot of pressure inside. Raiders #75 is a rookie and not a heralded one at that but he was continually getting in the backfield and winning his battles. Davison/Rankins could have a huge game there. I also see their tackles leaving a lot of room to their inside shoulder, which is good news for us because we have power oriented guys in Jordan and Kruger on both ends.

On the other side I see them getting some decent push up the middle, but the Raiders pass blocking is not very good. I think with Unger in the middle we'll handle that much better, which is obviously good for Brees. They leave a fair amount of room on the edges, in the same area where both Hightower and Ingram have been able to kick it out and get some big plays the last few weeks.

Seems like their passing game is mostly perimeter which plays into our hands. WR's and TE's over the middle kill us. Their TE isn't a huge threat in the passing game either which helps.

I don't like their run game against our defensive line becuase I think we have a tendency to get a little undisciplined there, especially in big-play situations. I have no doubt they are going to be very successful running the ball. Our coaches are going to be drilling it in all week about gap integrity and setting the edge. I think if we can just keep them from running hog-wild all over us we'll be OK. Being at home will help, we'll need lots and lots of noise.

Overall though. Playing an AFC team with a good defense, trying to get over .500 for the first time, riding a win streak - these are the kinds of games we typically lose in the Payton era. If we can manage to win this one, we're going to have some major momentum going and could run the table the rest of the season, but if we lose I think it pretty much kills any hopes we had for playoffs. I think it's that crucial of a game, especially with how young this team is.

run the ball 30+ times and stop the run and we will win. we need to run the ball and then run some more. keeps our defense off the field and rested. lack of quality depth behind our starters in most positions dictate this has to happen. taking the ball away several times on defense is paramount also. I also think Michael Thomas will have a huge say in the outcome of this game. But I like the matchup of our line against their front in the run game most of all. Let's try for another 250 yards on the ground.

I expect a game similar to the Seattle game. I think it comes down to our red zone efficiency and the defense's ability to get to Trevor Simien. If he gets time I'm afraid their receivers (Thomas and Sanders) will make big plays. So that being said I wonder if Dennis Allen will be blitz happy or trust his front four to make an impact.

All I know is if Denver start picking us apart like Colin did then we're gonna lose off our defense. Vs their defense it's gonna be a long glorious battle but we'll win that.

Establishing the run is going to be key. Denver D is elite & are very good against the pass. The Raiders pounded the rock down their throats & Saints should continue doing the same.

Keep Drew clean, under 40+ pass attempts & run 30+ or more WILL result in a W.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

All I know is if Denver start picking us apart like Colin did then we're gonna lose off our defense. Vs their defense it's gonna be a long glorious battle but we'll win that.

At no point did he "pick apart" the Saints defense. There were 2 horizontal routes that had blown coverages by the LB and SS. Those plays accounted for 40% of their passing offense. Never mind the blatant holding on both of those plays as well.

The D played reasonable, just admit it.

We're catching Denver at the right time, coming off a tough road loss and having to travel again. Plus, they're really banged up, and we're getting healthy. Finally, our offense has been steadily improving and is deadly now, whereas they are on the decline on both sides of the ball. Lagniappe: We're starting to generate some defensive turnovers. I think we're going to crack the .500 mark--finally. Who dat!!!

After watching the Raiders I like our matchups on the line of scrimmage on both sides. Our DL should be able to get a lot of pressure inside. Raiders #75 is a rookie and not a heralded one at that but he was continually getting in the backfield and winning his battles. Davison/Rankins could have a huge game there. I also see their tackles leaving a lot of room to their inside shoulder, which is good news for us because we have power oriented guys in Jordan and Kruger on both ends.

On the other side I see them getting some decent push up the middle, but the Raiders pass blocking is not very good. I think with Unger in the middle we'll handle that much better, which is obviously good for Brees. They leave a fair amount of room on the edges, in the same area where both Hightower and Ingram have been able to kick it out and get some big plays the last few weeks.

Seems like their passing game is mostly perimeter which plays into our hands. WR's and TE's over the middle kill us. Their TE isn't a huge threat in the passing game either which helps.

I don't like their run game against our defensive line becuase I think we have a tendency to get a little undisciplined there, especially in big-play situations. I have no doubt they are going to be very successful running the ball. Our coaches are going to be drilling it in all week about gap integrity and setting the edge. I think if we can just keep them from running hog-wild all over us we'll be OK. Being at home will help, we'll need lots and lots of noise.

Overall though. Playing an AFC team with a good defense, trying to get over .500 for the first time, riding a win streak - these are the kinds of games we typically lose in the Payton era. If we can manage to win this one, we're going to have some major momentum going and could run the table the rest of the season, but if we lose I think it pretty much kills any hopes we had for playoffs. I think it's that crucial of a game, especially with how young this team is.

Good analysis. I think part of the problem with our run defense is not that our Dline is undisciplined. They are being asked to get in the backfield/get a jump off the snap, and make plays. It's the LB's responsibilities to get off blocks and crash on anything.

Robertson doesn't get off blocks well and lacks closing speed and Stupar is no Ellerbe with his diagnosing(though he's good) It's important to get either Anthony and Ellerbe back or even just Ellerbe. Their size and ability to get off blocks is what this defense expects/needs from its LB's

Likely why we passed on Kendricks due to his stature only being 6' 230 meanwhile Anthony is listed at 6'2 245 and why Ellerbe was listed as the will over Robertson because he's 6'1 245 and Robertson is 6'0 230.

Robertson could hang at Will a bit because he'd be kept clean but I think his tackle totals have taken a nose dive since he moved to the middle after Laurinitis went down. Could be off on that but willing to bet thats the case.

In other words...i guess... LB's are very important to this scheme and why we ended up drafting a LB (Anthony) high after years of not going after then and them signing 3 this off-season with Laurinitis being the crown Jewel at the time.

Wouldn't be surprised if we sign one in FA or draft one rather high.

With Talib and Wolfe out, I like our matchup. Harris/Roby matchup well against Cooks and Snead, but with Talib out, Roby moves to the outside, likely against Thomas. Thomas should have a bead on some of Roby's tendencies and body language going back to practices from Ohio State. Talib's aggressiveness, physicality, and body type would have made him a dangerous matchup against Thomas.

Wolfe being out takes a good portion of their interior pressure and run defense out of the equation, allowing us to chip easier on the outside rush, utilize play action, and cleans up the shallow pocket for Brees to step up into. They will undoubtedly make a few impact plays from the edge rush, but not consistently enough to ruin our O's rhythm. As others have pointed out, their offense is hot garbage and their play style doesn't really take advantage of our weaknesses. If our DT rotation is healthy, we can stop their subpar running game, get in Siemien's head, and force a few 3 and outs. They don't seem to run many rub routes or WR screens anymore either, so Thomas and Sanders have lost that advantage, so giving them some cushion on the outside isn't nearly as dangerous as it used to be.

attack the seams. brandon marshall (ilb) is dinged. corey nelson and todd davis are marginal. run w/ the new 2 head monster. gosh i hope we win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom