How do we solve the problem of the long ball? (1 Viewer)

I think the question should be is what goes through your mind when the opposing QB launches a bomb? I know I be like "Oh No, another big play" which usually ends up a catch or defensive pass interference.

This is more then replacing a player with another. Good schenmes hide players liabilities.

Discuss!

Agree is not solely personnel and the pass rush needs to improve but sound #2 CBs do not get beat the way Crawley and PJ Williams have been consistently in man coverage.

I doubt there are any CBs available for trade with such limited future draft pick capital but Aqib Talib went for a 5th

You get Allen to call a better defense.

PJ was getting owned, but in the 2nd half, there was no excuse to keep playing so much single high against them.

We also have to start blitzing more. I'm glad we finally dialed it up when we needed it most, but the lack of pressure is gonna kill us long term.

If we are gonna get burnt like toast might as well just blitz like crazy.

Can we buy some vowels? Man...tough to watch for sure. We are back to the worst defense in the NFL. I had high hopes from last year, but this is a nightmare coming back to haunt me watch every deep ball thrown. Just glad we got the ball in OT and watched Ryan sit on the sidelines while Brees once again carried this team to another victory. WHO DAT!

Seemed like the torture only stopped when they switched Lattimore over to Ridley, but as you said OP, that simply can't be the answer moving forward. Just when we finally have a good season in the secondary, we go right back to being the team that everyone just throws deep on for a guaranteed touchdown or PI call. It's really hard to watch, especially after last season's improvement.
their passing attack was "which one's not lattimore"

We NEVER press or reroute their receivers at the line. This gives them a free release and therefore, they are WIDE OPEN on every play. This makes the pass rush look terrible because they never really have time to get to the QB (because the ball is out of his hands to a WIDE OPEN WR).

When we did blitz during the last drive in the 4th quarter, IT WORKED! Matty was looking for a flag on a perfectly legal sack and crying about it. I want to see that more often.

Search the free agent pool, make a trade, or completely change the scheme

We NEVER press or reroute their receivers at the line. This gives them a free release and therefore, they are WIDE OPEN on every play. This makes the pass rush look terrible because they never really have time to get to the QB (because the ball is out of his hands to a WIDE OPEN WR).

When we did blitz during the last drive in the 4th quarter, IT WORKED! Matty was looking for a flag on a perfectly legal sack and crying about it. I want to see that more often.
Yes indeed. Exactly my thoughts.

If you don't think there's a problem, you are blind as a bat, and I don't think you are blind lol...
I wasn't worried after the first 2 games. Just thinking one QB was on fire and the other was on a 4th and 6, willing to give reasonable doubt I wouldn't have expected that..but today 3 or 4?? It's a problem that needs fixing cause the tape is out now.

Did make the adjustments by switching Lattimore and Crawley on who they were covering but we have to give more help if we're going to put Crawley on teams number one.

Hopefully these guys really bare down and realize last year is over. Still have to put in work.

I don’t know about Eric Reid (is he capable of playing slot CB), but don’t we already have 3 decent Safety’s? Does SF have a CB and/or LB we could trade Teddy B for since Garropollo went down?

You call the right play at the right time you can find success. That's a tough question the OP poised because we blamed Crawley (Lattimore got burned deep va the Buc) and we bench him and PJ comes in and is playing on skates ..gets beat deep.... insert Crawley who plays his game and gets a deep ball completed him and he's in coverage...gets a PI called on him and despite it all I think people still came out seeing Crawley was the better of the corners because he is rarely burnt though he like any other corner can get beat deep with a well placed ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom