How Do You Feel About Sean Payton Now? (1 Viewer)

How Do You Feel About SP Now?

• I'm sad, end of an era. He'll always be my coach

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • I'm angry because he quit on us and then basked in the spotlight while teams wooed him

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I feel betrayed but I'm thankful for what he did for the Saints and I wish him well

Votes: 44 19.2%
  • SP is dead to me. I'll be actively rooting against him hoping he crashes and burns

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • I'm just glad it's over. Whatever, I'm just focused on Saints football

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I blame Loomis

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Tacos

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 17 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel like he knew after 2019 the NFL wasn't going to lose money on a small market team becoming dominant

What if Payton stays with the broncos 10 years and wins multiple championships. Then what?
Then he cements his legacy as an all-time great Hall of Fame Coach. Won't change any of my feelings about his time with the Saints.

I feel like he knew after 2019 the NFL wasn't going to lose money on a small market team becoming dominant
Doesn’t make sense.
KC is shaping to be the next big team and they’re in a smaller market than NOLA.
And you have Cincinnati following them.
Also Buffalo.

Doesn’t make sense.
KC is shaping to be the next big team and they’re in a smaller market than NOLA.
And you have Cincinnati following them.
Also Buffalo.
Cincinnati and KC are both larger markets than New Orleans, but the point still stands that the NFL doesn't seem to favor teams based on market size when you look at the market sizes and history of the following teams:

Houston 8
Cleveland 19
Kansas City 34
Cincinnati 36
New Orleans 50
Buffalo 53
Green Bay 69

Cincinnati and KC are both larger markets than New Orleans, but the point still stands that the NFL doesn't seem to favor teams based on market size when you look at the market sizes and history of the following teams:

Houston 8
Cleveland 19
Kansas City 34
Cincinnati 36
New Orleans 50
Buffalo 53
Green Bay 69

The League Office isn’t having an emergency meeting if a small market team gets in the Super Bowl.
They may if Cleveland gets in, but that’s for the off the field issues that come with it.

He coached us for 16 years.
He got an offer from Miami to be HC with an ownership stake in the team.
But that fell through and he couldn't come back here because the Saints hired DA as HC.
He was then a man without a country.

I harbor no ill will towards him for trying to get his foot in the ownership door.
It was an opportunity that few people get and he went for it.
Can't really blame him for it.

I respect the job Payton did as the Saints head coach and consider him one of the best head coaches in the league.

I do not know doubt that the 2021 season was mentally and physically hard on Payton. But I also never believed he left for lifestyle or health reasons. He began plotting his return to the league the moment he resigned (and probably earlier). His reasons for leaving were overwhelmingly transactional--he saw that he did not have an answer at quarterback, knew the team was no longer a legitimate contender and its arrow was pointed downward, and did not want to be involved in a rebuild or transition period. If the Saints had had on the roster a promising young quarterback, Sean Payton never would have flirted with Miami and would still be the Saints head coach.

However, he literally quit the organization at a difficult time. And as a head coach who had much power over personnel and was arguably the team's de facto general manager, he had much responsibility for the state of the organization when he left.

And it is not unusual in the NFL for a head coach to coach one team for 10 years are longer if they truly want to coach and if the team wants them to remain. Indeed, in the last 50 years, what Payton did was the exception rather than the rule. Head coaches who want to keep coaching simply do not leave teams that want them to stay.

Sean Payton coached the Saints for 15 years--2012 was a "sabbatical" year. Bill Belichick has been coaching one team for 23 years, Mike Tomlin for 16 years, John Harbaugh for 15 years. Andy Reid left Philadelphia because his contract was not renewed. Tom Coughlin left Jacksonville because he was fired. Jeff Fisher left Tennessee because the team agreed to buy out the last year of his contract. Dick Vermeil left Philadelphia and Jim More left New Orleans because they were truly burned out. And though Payton's mentor Bill Parcells coached several teams, Parcells, a difficulty personality who was better at building than sustaining, clashed in New York with general manager George Young and in New England with owner Bob Kraft.

If we go back further in NFL history, the only other exception I know of is Vince Lombardi, who coached Green Bay for nine years, stepped down after the 1967 season as head coach though still serving as the team's general manager, and then a year later returned to coaching with the Redskins. Lombardi coached a year in Washington before he died from cancer. Washington gave Lombardi a huge contract, and Lombardi, a New York native, missed big-city life and the East Coast. But at the time he stepped down, Lombardi was physically worn down--and the Packers after their 1967 championship were an aging team headed for decline.

Don Shula did leave Baltimore after seven years to go to Miami. But at the end, Shula's relationship with the Colts' demanding owner, Carroll Rosenbloom, had turned contentious, and Shula coached Miami for 26 years.

The great irony is that in terms of relationship with owner and general manager, and overall power in the organization, the New Orleans Saints was the best job Sean Payton could ever find. In Denver, he has a purely business relationship with the general manager and the team president, owners who have high expectations given his compensation, less power over personnel, and a media presence and fan base that will be much more critical if success does not come quickly in the league's toughest division.

If he does not meet expectations in Denver, I suspect most of us will experience a touch of Schadenfreude. But we all should be hoping that in 2023 Denver goes winless.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom