How do you feel about the trade? (1 Viewer)

How do you feel about the trade?

• Like the pickup, solid young guy on a rookie deal who helps us immediately.

Votes: 309 69.4%
  • Like the pickup, don't like the compensation. Too much given up.

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Do not like the pickup

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Wish we got somebody else, but this is fine

Votes: 82 18.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 36 8.1%

• Total voters
If you just look at it from a standpoint of asking yourself would you rather Apple or Crawley and you can answer honestly, there is really only one answer; Apple is a better option than Crawley. We got stronger at a position that we were weak at. Unless you are against the team shoring up a weak position, you have to feel good about the trade. We gave up very little while improving a weak position. Plus, his acquisition gives us options at the nickel. That's not even taking into consideration the fact that this dude will be playing with people he went into battle with in college and won a national championship with. Time will tell but I can only see this as a positive unless he starts sheetting the bed worst than Crawley and I just don't see that happening.

Unsure for me as of today.

I think it's a low risk / high reward trade.

I need to see how we intend to use him in Allen's "scheme".

I think the trade makes some sense purely from a depth perspective (I have worried about that since PRob went down)

I'd like to see him not make any headlines... off the field negatively.

I'd like to see him simply be where he is supposed to be on a given play.

So yeah, for now, put me down for Unsure. (because if he ends up being a carbon copy of Ken Crawley with permanent mommy issues, I'm gonna come back and change my vote - LOL)

Last edited:
I’m all for this trade. He has immaturity issues in the past, yet nothing so much this year. Now in New York he came into a bad locker room, a locker room that has turned against Manning, a coaching staff, heck everyone. There is no leadership or anything quality there. Not the environment where a young guy can grow and develop maturity and a dedication to high level craft.

Now he comes here. He has all the physical ability to be a very good CB. This locker room has former players and friends. The locker room has strong leadership, strong coaching, and a positive attitude. Make him go from hating to come to work to having a good time. It costs nothing in trade value, and only a lot of room for growth. Come in grow show his stuff. That’s when you hit home runs on FAs or trades. Take a guy in a bad situation, put him in a good situation. Take him from being dumped on part of a pumped up crew. Tell me this isn’t a great idea.

I scanned nyg forums though and they all pretty much agree that he’s not good. I guess we will see

Which Giants forums did you look at? I'd be interested in reading them. The ones I've read did not "all pretty much agree that he's not good" - as you are saying.

http://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php/topic,47950.0.html

EDIT: I like this trade. Worse case, the Saints are taking a flyer on a physically talented former 1st round 3rd year CB on a rookie deal for a 4th and a 2020 7th pick that doesn't work out. Best case Apple shores up the back end of the Saints D. In between those extremes would be Apple providing depth and competition to push Crawley and Williams harder.

Last edited:
I think this was a steal.

He is an upgrade over Crawley and PJ Williams. With proper guidance and leadership he can be better than he was in NY. Best part is we didn’t give up too much to get him. If he’s at least solid this is a steal for us.

If this post had been posted before the trade as a: "would you trade for Eli Apple" - 70% on this forum would say no way due to the many documented issues, mediocre play, poor tackling. 30% would say yes if he comes cheap. Now 67% are all in on the trade???? Wow. That says more about the fans than the trade it self, I think.

I simply don't get the "low risk high return" argument. Surely it is "high risk high return" but coming at a cheap price. There is absolutely nothing in Eli's past play that justifies even a 2nd round draft pick. So let's be real here. None of us knows how it will pan out. I too am hoping for the best and will support him. But I am not holding my breath

Saints have done this too often under Payton when it comes to addressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. This offseason there were several CB’s available that could have helped the Saints, Malcom Butler, Turnaine Johnson, Aaron Colvin, Mo Claiborne, just to name a few. We go out and sign a buckle CB in Robinson. The move was fine but most of us knew we needed multiple CB’s. I worried a lot about him trying to mimic the success the had in Philly here but that’s another discussion. For some reason the front office was bought into Crawley when there were glaring issues with him (there’s a reason he started out on the bench last year). We’ve done it for years at DE. We’ve continued to do it at CB.

In saying that at least they noticed they had deficiencies now and tried to address them. We all hoped for an All Pro like Peterson but Eli Apple is young, has some upside and FWIW he’s not Crawley or Williams (I had high hopes for PJ coming out). I still think Apple sees more slot duty than we might think but depth is good, even if it’s mediocre to good. Not a homerun, knock it out of the park move but at least a move to address a problem area. I just wish the front office and coaching staff saw what most of us here did and addressed it early in the offseason.

If you just look at it from a standpoint of asking yourself would you rather Apple or Crawley and you can answer honestly, there is really only one answer; Apple is a better option than Crawley. We got stronger at a position that we were weak at. Unless you are against the team shoring up a weak position, you have to feel good about the trade. We gave up very little while improving a weak position. Plus, his acquisition gives us options at the nickel. That's not even taking into consideration the fact that this dude will be playing with people he went into battle with in college and won a national championship with. Time will tell but I can only see this as a positive unless he starts shirtting the bed worst than Crawley and I just don't see that happening.

As a New Yorker with basic cable, I’m stuck with Giants games. Believe me when I say that Apple and Crawley are essentially the same player. Both inconsistent. Both have an extreme distaste for interceptions. Both have deep speed. In fact, the argument could be made that Crawley has had a better career than Apple. Bottom line is Apple’s ceiling is essentially Crawley 2017. If he’s matured at all, I’m fine with that.

If Apple's really past his personal issues, I think it's a great move for both parties. On the field, my only beef is his ability to consistently make tackles. He gets absoloutly punished at times and misses a little too many tackles for my liking. In coverage I really like the way he uses his length and size to rough up receivers, plus he's really fast fro his size. For a 4th and a 7th, picks we've wasted on guys in past drafts, we got a dude who clearly has 1st RD talents, top 10 in fact given where the G-Men drafted him. If Apple balls out, we pick up the 5th year option and he's ours for the next 3 years. If he flames out, we pay the rest of his rook contract and let him go after next season. I think it's a brilliantly calculated decision by our FO.

He was a major reach by the Giants in the draft so we shouldn't continue calling him a top ten talent. He was more of a late first round prospect. He pretty much landed in the best possible situation he could land in. So if the light doesn't come on now it never will for him. The way I see it, he's going to be more help than anything we could sign off the streets at this point in time since we cut Maulet....

And not to damper expectations but I'm sure we sound jus like Phins fans when they 'stole' a former 1st round talent off our team for a measley 5th round pick...

If you ask me the main thing wrong with the deal is that we still have too many Indians and not enough chiefs. Our secondary needed some veteran leadership, a field general. Now it seems like we have another unfocused kid on our hands.

I simply don't get the "low risk high return" argument. Surely it is "high risk high return" but coming at a cheap price. There is absolutely nothing in Eli's past play that justifies even a 2nd round draft pick. So let's be real here. None of us knows how it will pan out. I too am hoping for the best and will support him. But I am not holding my breath

The relevant question is

Is Eli Apple WORTH a 4th round pick

From a need perspective: YES clearly.
1) If we can fix our secondary, we would be a much stronger contender. Therefore the reward is HIGH.
2) Unlike a 2019 draft pick, he can contribute NOW.

From a risk perspective there are several:
- his play is not becoming of a 4th rounder. But consider our last few 4th rounders: Rick Leonard, Onyemata, Khairi Fortt, Nick Toon. So the risk here is really manageable. Plus based on observations by Nick Underhill etc, I am quite comfortable.
- he becomes a locker room cancer. This is to me the much higher risk. But again, given Lattimore & Bell are his former college teammates, I think risk here is managebale

Therefore to me he IS low risk high reward. If he doesnt pan out, all it cost us is a 4th rounder. If he does, the reward is potentially a Superbowl

I don't know what to expect. Too many conflicting opinions about the guy's performance. I guess I just have to see how he adapts to a new system with players around him that he actually likes.

If the main concern that I'm reading (about Apple) is a possible bad attitude poisoning the locker room, I think that there seems to be a strong enough culture of doing things the right way in New Orleans that, if anything, it's more likely that a bad apple (pardon the pun) starts acting right than a bad guy comes in and sabotages the whole deal.

As a New Yorker with basic cable, I’m stuck with Giants games. Believe me when I say that Apple and Crawley are essentially the same player. Both inconsistent. Both have an extreme distaste for interceptions. Both have deep speed. In fact, the argument could be made that Crawley has had a better career than Apple. Bottom line is Apple’s ceiling is essentially Crawley 2017. If he’s matured at all, I’m fine with that.

Crawley 2017 was pretty danged good though!

I’m fine with the trade.

I scanned nyg forums though and they all pretty much agree that he’s not good. I guess we will see
Majority over here thought the same of Malcolm Jenkins and Patrick Robinson. They both turned out really good in other teams. Sometimes new scenery is all someone needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom