How do you make your Thanksgiving turkey? (2 Viewers)

I'm going to be making the turkey for the first time this year.

My plan is a 24-hour wet brine, then a cajun butter rub under the skin and a butter blanket on top. Smoking in a Big Green Egg.

It's gonna be baller.
Let's go Brandon!

That sounds awesome

mjcouvri clearly said he's limited to an oven so let's please stay on topic. If you want to discuss how awesome you smoke, fry, sous vide, microwave your turkey, then please start a different thread. :9:

:grin::grin:

mjcouvri clearly said he's limited to an oven so let's please stay on topic. If you want to discuss how awesome you smoke, fry, sous vide, microwave your turkey, then please start a different thread. :9:

:grin::grin:
Well, I would have discussed oven recipes but I don’t wanna.

For the last 20 years I've ordered a Popeye's fried turkey. This year I vowed to make it myself.

I bought just the turkey breast which I thought would be manageable and cook relatively quick because I don't like tending to stuff and marinating it and rubbing it and poking at it.

Walmart delivered it and it's as big as a volley ball. I shoved it in the freezer and reserved a ham from Honeybaked as a backup.

I will come back and read this thread over the weekend to try and get inspired.

The night before, I inject the bird like I do to fry it, but I bake it in the oven in a roasting bag, instead.
Turkey Injection
1 jar - sweet & sour sauce
1/2 jar - teriyaki sauce
3 or 4 sticks of butter or margarine
5 - 10 tbsp cayenne pepper (depends if I'm feeding locals or outsiders on the amount of cayenne)
6 tbsp mustard
Pureed small onion (will need a large injection needle)

I love fried turkey, but hate the mess. I find the injection is 75% of the allure.

I'm going to be making the turkey for the first time this year.

My plan is a 24-hour wet brine, then a cajun butter rub under the skin and a butter blanket on top. Smoking in a Big Green Egg.

It's gonna be baller.
I’m doing the same thing! I have a 15 pound I’m practicing on this weekend then I’m doing a 21 pound for thanksgiving. Do you have a recipe? I’ve been reading the big egg forum and have it narrowed down to 2

For the last 20 years I've ordered a Popeye's fried turkey. This year I vowed to make it myself.

I bought just the turkey breast which I thought would be manageable and cook relatively quick because I don't like tending to stuff and marinating it and rubbing it and poking at it.

Walmart delivered it and it's as big as a volley ball. I shoved it in the freezer and reserved a ham from Honeybaked as a backup.

I will come back and read this thread over the weekend to try and get inspired.
If you've never deep fried a turkey, my best advice is to make sure it is thoroughly thawed. You don't want any excess moisture when you dunk that thang.

Spatchcock (butterflying) is the way to go. Look up videos on how to spatchcock (you just need a pair of good kitchen shears, maybe a cleaver knife depending on how big the bird is and how thick the bones are). Then follow your normal recipe for seasoning and use a meat thermometer in your favorite choice of meat. You will need a large roasting pan.

This method allows for the white and dark portions to finish cooking at nearly the same time. No dry portions if you do this.

Alton's method for opening up the bird is the same as everyone else's. I disagree with his method of cooking directly on a oven rack, unless you just love cleaning your oven.

Dry brine? Wet brine? How do you keep those turkey boobs moist and flavorful? That's the biggest challenge. I want flavor all up in my turkey. I'm prepared to do something days ahead of time this year to get that flavor all up in there.

What do you do? How do you cook it? I'll be limited to an oven so I appreciate oven recipes.
I'm your guy. I love cooking turkey. I cook a few a year, Spring, Summer and Fall. I have had one dry turkey in my life throughout experimenting with the bags, deep fryers, roasting pans, smokers, etc. I usually smoke one and fry one for Thanksgiving. This gives me leftovers for soup, gumbo, sandwiches, etc and I use the bones from the smoked turkey to make stock for gumbo. When I smoke, I spatchcock for ease of carving and faster cook times.

You mentioned in an oven, so I will bring up Alton Brown's foolproof methods. After the brine (and I can't stress enough the importance of the brine which makes this foolproof) I use a low sodium seasoning on the exterior. Injection isn't bad either, but I feel the brine really ensures a more even and thorough absorption of the salt and moisture which keeps the bird from going dry.

1) Brine.

2) Cook.

3) Enjoy.

Last edited:
If you've never deep fried a turkey, my best advice is to make sure it is thoroughly thawed. You don't want any excess moisture when you dunk that thang.
And do it outside. Turkey breasts are still too large to safely fry inside unless you have a commercial grade vent hood.

I'm your guy. I love cooking turkey. I cook a few a year, Spring, Summer and Fall. I have had one dry turkey in my life throughout experimenting with the bags, deep fryers, roasting pans, smokers, etc. I usually smoke one and fry one for Thanksgiving. This gives me leftovers for soup, gumbo, sandwiches, etc and I use the bones from the smoked turkey to make stock for gumbo. When I smoke, I spatchcock for ease of carving and faster cook times.

You mentioned in an oven, so I will bring up Alton Brown's foolproof methods. After the brine (and I can't stress enough the importance of the brine which makes this foolproof) I use a low sodium seasoning on the exterior. Injection isn't bad either, but I feel the brine really ensures a more even and thorough absorption of the salt and moisture which keeps the bird from going dry.

1) Brine.

2) Cook.

3) Enjoy.

Address please! I’ll bring the smokes…

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom