How do you think this all ends with Drew and his incensed teammates? (1 Viewer)

And dont think the dude from Yahoo sports didnt know what he was stirring up in asking the question.
Exactly! And for all we know the interview could have been edited. I would be stunned if this isn't ironed out in the next few days. Drew isn't the person he's being made out to be and all of his teammates know it, but the only one thinking clearly is Davenport. Badly timed, not well thought out statement on Drew's part.

They all know him much better than any of us do. He'll undoubtedly talk to all of them, but if the relationship is still damaged after that, that says something, I think.
Saw someone comment that they wonder if Drew was truly liked in the locker room before all this with the quickness in which his teammates went to criticizing him. I know that probably sounds crazy but it got me thinking — maybe there is too large a generational gap between Drew and guys like Kamara and Thomas.

Maybe his style is disliked by the players and they see this as a way to vent their frustration and dislike of him.

It probably sounds crazy but did the reaction of many of his teammates give you the impression that he was in a good place to begin with with those particular players? Cam seemed like someone who responded like you’d expect from someone who truly was shocked by something someone they loved and respected said. The others just quickly went on the attack.

As I’ve said multiple times in the other thread — Drew’s comments were consistent with his beliefs and not intended to be inflammatory but his lack of situational awareness was shocking and disappointing. What I’m wondering is did Drew really have the respect of the locker room before all this? Because the gloves came off with the quickness and Drew got zero benefit of the doubt from several of his teammates.

I just don’t see how this is repaired. I want to be optimistic but there will be another full day of dissection and commentary on this tomorrow and it will only further fan the flames.

It’s pretty grim, folks.

Exactly! And for all we know the interview could have been edited. I would be stunned if this isn't ironed out in the next few days. Drew isn't the person he's being made out to be and all of his teammates know it, but the only one thinking clearly is Davenport. Badly timed, not well thought out statement on Drew's part.

Badly timed for certain...matched by the immature hyper-overreactions by some of his teammates.

Hopefully both groups can move towards each other in equal measures.

several have already said this, and i agree.... sad to see it, but i think he clarifies his remarks, hoping not to be a distraction (tho it's too late for that), then retires before the season starts... this is a mess, it may even affect whatever opportunities he had after retirement, not to mention how it can potentially affect his family

Last edited:
No, I don't think you support it at all. I think you ignore it.

I think Drew doesn't realize its prevalence or he wouldn't have said what he did. His statement was imprudent, at best, and downright ignorant at worst. He has some fixing to do because he screwed up. As I've said elsewhere, I think he'll do the right thing because he is, at heart, a good person.
And I think it's absurd to focus on eight innocent people who've died when we've got tens of other millions of innocents who've died. Why can't we focus on them?

There was nothing imprudent or improper about what he said. He said and did nothing to ignore racism. He truthfully answered a question asked him. That said, he will cave to the outrage mob, because that's what just about everyone does.

Saw someone comment that they wonder if Drew was truly liked in the locker room before all this with the quickness in which his teammates went to criticizing him. I know that probably sounds crazy but it got me thinking — maybe there is too large a generational gap between Drew and guys like Kamara and Thomas.

Maybe his style is disliked by the players and they see this as a way to vent their frustration and dislike of him.

It probably sounds crazy but did the reaction of many of his teammates give you the impression that he was in a good place to begin with with those particular players? Cam seemed like someone who responded like you’d expect from someone who truly was shocked by something someone they loved and respected said. The others just quickly went on the attack.

As I’ve said multiple times in the other thread — Drew’s comments were consistent with his beliefs and not intended to be inflammatory but his lack of situational awareness was shocking and disappointing. What I’m wondering is did Drew really have the respect of the locker room before all this? Because the gloves came off with the quickness and Drew got zero benefit of the doubt from several of his teammates.

I just don’t see how this is repaired. I want to be optimistic but there will be another full day of dissection and commentary on this tomorrow and it will only further fan the flames.

It’s pretty grim, folks.
If that's the way people are going to behave, then I find it hard to root for such a group of people. I really do. I've been perfectly accepting that there have to be people of every possible persuasion on our roster, some of which oppose mine. I'm perfectly fine with that. But if so many of our players are really going to regard someone with such sterling credentials as Drew, with such low esteem, then maybe it's time for me to find a new hobby.

Why can’t the kneeling players understand that millions of Americans strongly disagree, and believe kneeling is disrespecting the flag and nation? Why is their opinion more valid than the opinion of others? Why can’t they understand that kneeling generates strong feelings in others too? How can they not understand that their actions may hurt the cause more than it helps?
You know why, because they weren't outraged until they were told they should be by trump. That's why. Their outrage is the definition of fake news. The same people with the fake outrage laugh and joke and guzzle beer during the anthem. Not a peep was heard around the nation until trump tweeted about it and then all of a sudden, fake outrage.

Why can’t the kneeling players understand that millions of Americans strongly disagree, and believe kneeling is disrespecting the flag and nation? Why is their opinion more valid than the opinion of others? Why can’t they understand that kneeling generates strong feelings in others too? How can they not understand that their actions may hurt the cause more than it helps?

Because the outrage over the kneeling became the discussion among the public as a means to distract from the actual purpose of the protest - to shine light on the injustice of people of color being abused and in some cases murdered by the very people who are sworn to protect them.

The president decided that vilifying the protestors for their method of protest was the proper way to address their grievances rather than hear their grievances— and the very people who needed to hear that message blindly followed the presidents lead and drowned out the protests with manufactured outrage.

So when Drew says he can’t support “disrespecting the anthem by kneeling”. he’s basically saying that he thinks in the same narrow view as the president and his followers. That their manner of protest is more offensive than the horrific issues they are protesting about.

Protests are supposed to be uncomfortable and they are supposed to be a right that we all hold dear and sacred. Drew showed that he understands very little about the struggles of so many of the people he calls teammates and so many of the people who live in the city he plays.

The protesting players are well aware that the kneeling generates strong feelings in others. It’s the whole point. They were absolutely counting on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom