How do you think this all ends with Drew and his incensed teammates? (1 Viewer)

That’s what I took away from Malcolm Jenkins “video response” to Drew Brees. He called out Brees and virtually guaranteed a division within the team. I could be wrong, hope I am, but that is what I came away feeling
He called out what needed to be called out. There really aren't two sides to this. The flag isn't sacred or holy. I usually change the channel during the anthem. Black lives are infinitely more important than respecting (worshipping?) a flag.

I am hoping he says something like this:

"I want to begin with an apology. I've always strived to be the best leader I can and good leaders own up to their mistakes. Well, I've made a huge one. To those whom I've hurt with my comments, I'm sorry. I hope you all can forgive me. Frankly, Malcolm was right. I was looking at this issue through a very narrow lens and said something that was tone-deaf and hurtful. Look, I've been raised to revere the American flag and my experiences touring with the USO and meeting our brave men and women fighting for our freedom have only strengthened that reverence. I've grown accustomed to equating the flag with the troops who wear it on their uniforms. I failed to see beyond my own experiences and to listen to those around me whose experiences are quite different. Again, for that I am sorry. What I have learned these last few days is that now is not the time for me to be vocal, but to listen and allow others to lead me. And that's what I am going to do. Listen and follow. I don't know that I'll ever be comfortable with the decision to kneel during the national anthem after spending a lifetime being taught to do something else, but I will support my teammates and others who choose to. I will acknowledge that there is no disrespect in their choice to do so. I commit to being a better leader, to listen, and to seek opportunities for unity wherever they can be found. Thank you."

Drew, you can have this one for free.

Last edited:
I think he walks away before the season if not before end of the week

too much has been made public and media will not let this die , media doesn’t allow positions other than their own

I’m sure espn’s first take will push this hard bringing every critic they can find

Drew will take the position that this year with all the covid issues is best for him to turn over team to younger qbs

I csn also see this leaving a bad taste in SP mouth while not leaving this year but sooner than he thought - I can imagine him thinking how in today’s world a team can get divided by someone’s opinion etc

He called out what needed to be called out. There really aren't two sides to this. The flag isn't sacred or holy. I usually change the channel during the anthem. Black lives are infinitely more important than respecting (worshipping?) a flag.

I’m focusing completely on the Saints as a football team. I don’t care how Brees feels about the issues, or Jenkins, or any other NFL player for that matter... that’s their beliefs/opinions.. and I honestly don’t care. I don’t want to “know” these people... I just want them to be successful football players for the Saints. Beyond that, they do them, and I’ll do me.

From a Saints football perspective, how this “situation” with Brees, Jenkins,Thomas, etc... impacts “the team”?

It’s nothing but bad.

"I want to begin with an apology. I've always strived to be the best leader I can and good leaders own up to their mistakes. Well, I've made a huge one. To those whom I've hurt with my comments, I'm sorry. I hope you all can forgive me. Frankly, Malcolm was right. I was looking at this issue through a very narrow lens and said something that was tone-deaf and hurtful. Look, I've been raised to revere the American flag and my experiences touring with the USO and meeting our brave men and women fighting for our freedom have only strengthened that reverence. I've grown accustomed to equating the flag with the troops who wear it on their uniforms. I failed to see beyond my own experiences and to listen to those around me whose experiences are quite different. Again, for that I am sorry. What I have learned these last few days is that now is not the time for me to be vocal, but to listen and allow others to lead me. And that's what I am going to do. Listen and follow. I don't know that I'll ever be comfortable with the decision to kneel during the national anthem after spending a lifetime being taught to do something else, but I will support my teammates and others who choose to. I will acknowledge that there is no disrespect in their choice to do so. I commit to being a better leader, to listen, and to seek opportunities for unity wherever they can be found. Thank you."
Only thing I would take out is the "decision to kneel" line. Even if that's what he believes, he doesn't need to reiterate it anymore. Everything else read great.

As much as I want that to be true, I dont believe it's possible.

People don't change, they just reveal themselves very, very slowly.
People can change, they just don't usually want to put the work in or rethink beliefs that have become engrained in their identity.

Changing is REALLY hard, and the last four years have suggested to me that Drew won't change. But I'd love for him to.

It’s a 50% chance that things could be rectified or get beyond repair. The one thing that Jenkins said that gives me concern is when Drew apparently said to him “Here is not the place to talk about this” (Jenkins said that in a post). Idk when or where Drew said that, but that comment holds a lot of water with someone that is so outspoken as Jenkins. Jenkins and Drew both hold the keys to how this will all play out. I have faith things will get worked out bc Drew’s comments were not of the racist variety. It just wasn’t tactful

I’m focusing completely on the Saints as a football team. I don’t care how Brees feels about the issues, or Jenkins, or any other NFL player for that matter... that’s their beliefs/opinions.. and I honestly don’t care. I don’t want to “know” these people... I just want them to be successful football players for the Saints. Beyond that, they do them, and I’ll do me.

From a Saints football perspective, how this “situation” with Brees, Jenkins,Thomas, etc... impacts “the team”?

It’s nothing but bad.
Make no mistake, Drew Brees caused this. Just like the police killing black people caused these protests and riots.

What is happening is the kind of thing that don't just go away. I
While I agree with you I will repeat what I said in another thread. The way the players, who are supposed to be Brees friends and know he is not a bad person, are burying Brees is way over the top. They are throwing Brees on the fire. Brees is wrong in this situation but he does not deserve what is coming for him mainly because of the way his own teammates reacted to his mistake.

Drew, you can have this one for free.

Boom!

Unfortunately, anything short of this exact statement and I fear he will have to retire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom