How do you think this all ends with Drew and his incensed teammates? (1 Viewer)

I don't think he should apologize for saying what he believes. He should explain exactly what he meant and why he believes it then let the chips fall where they may.

What he said is in no way racist. If you insist on twisting it to be racist that just you trying advance your own political agenda.

I don't agree with him but I respect his opinion and his right to express it without being vilified because you're to small minded to try to understand where he's coming from. Which is exactly what his critics are trying to crucify him for. Hold yourself to the ridiculously high standard you use to attack Brees.

Nooo that’s the stuff on Twitter. It’s all over the place
Disappointed in you Drew. We'll see how hard these players play for a closet racist.
Nevermind. I found one. Brees is not a racist....closeted or out of the closet. The dude is not a racist. To accuse him of being one because he refuses to understand that the protest were never about the flag is just wrong. What I can't understand is how a man could master as complex an offense as Sean Payton's, dissect some of the best defenses put together but refuses to understand the difference between protesting police brutality and protesting the flag of the United States. His grand parents served in WW2. This should not be a hard concept for him to understand.

They know his heart. There's a lot of venting going on right now, but the personal stuff will blow over.

I always try to remember the story of Saul/Paul. No such thing as a lost cause. People do change.
I hope you're right. My 35 years of living and seeing the same things over and over gives me strong doubts.
People can change, they just don't usually want to put the work in or rethink beliefs that have become engrained in their identity.

Changing is REALLY hard, and the last four years have suggested to me that Drew won't change. But I'd love for him to.
That kind of aligns with my thoughts on people changing. We knew this about Drew in 2017. In 2020, we now know a little more.

What is happening is the kind of thing that don't just go away. I

While I agree with you I will repeat what I said in another thread. The way the players, who are supposed to be Brees friends and know he is not a bad person, are burying Brees is way over the top. They are throwing Brees on the fire. Brees is wrong in this situation but he does not deserve what is coming for him mainly because of the way his own teammates reacted to his mistake.
Brees is getting exactly what we should all expect. His teammates didn't say he was evil or racist. But if he's not, he needs to wake up fast. If black lives truly matter, it shouldn't be so hard for some to say.

Every day someone is the most hated human in the world on Twitter. Today it was Drew Brees. Tomorrow it might be the President or a gal flying to Cape Town or a cop or a Senator or one of us. I don't get conflating the flag with a quiet protest but I don't look up to anyone, much less athletes. He's a franchisee of a company that hunts tigers for sport, he's never been perfect. Something will happen within the next two days and someone else will be the worst person in human history. Hell, LeBron James quoted Brees to pile on today and a few months ago if you thought that the guy that supported a murderous, organ-harvesting dictatorship would be going REEEE about how tone deaf somebody else sounded you'd be crazy. But here we are. Maybe in a couple days when someone else is Doctor Doom for the day the other 50 guys on the team will give another chance to someone they work with who helped make the rest of them multi-millionaires and said the wrong thing during one of the most contentious and difficult times in our country's history.

I know this has been posted already, but I love Demario’s response in the wake of Drew’s interview. DD didn’t fly off the handlebars and speak from emotion; he spoke from reason and thoughtfulness.

I think our locker room is strong enough that much fruit will come to bear from a meeting of mature leaders, Demario and Drew among them.

Nevermind. I found one. Brees is not a racist....closeted or out of the closet. The dude is not a racist. To accuse him of being one because he refuses to understand that the protest were never about the flag is just wrong. What I can't understand is how a man could master as complex an offense as Sean Payton's, dissect some of the best defenses put together but refuses to understand the difference between protesting police brutality and protesting the flag of the United States. His grand parents served in WW2. This should not be a hard concept for him to understand.
Is it possible that you don't understand the concept behind his beliefs? Is it even possible? Maybe?

He should just say something like he's competitor on the field...and a competitor off the field... but he was stubbornly being a competitor by defending this same opinion for a while now....coming from a privileged perspective.

He should have checked himself years ago... now it looks much worse. That tweet by MT gives the impression they tried to warn him awhile back.

And if he wants to make it seem genuine, he'll continue to enlighten others about how kneeling and facing the flag is NOT a sign of disrespect to the flag or the military.

But most folks knew that already, and just deflect on purpose. Like Kaepernick said himself, “There’s a lot of racism in this country disguised as patriotism". For the folks who claim not to be racist, don't fall for the trouble makers and their fake patriotism. It's easy to spot.

When you see that I mentioned the name "Kaepernick", and if hate and rage is the first thing that pops into your mind... think about why? How did you get to this. Is the hate justified? Or do you not know anymore.

Edit- whoops forgot to answer the question.

They'll work it out. Drew seems like good geniune person. Just stubborn.

Last edited:
We are a lost people. No longer can Have a civil disagreement about differing views. Disagreeing with the other while still understanding the others beliefs. Drew did not speak any untruth. Simply because it is his truth and what he believes. The beauty of this country in the freedom to express those exact opinions. How can you Profess your beliefs and expect to have them respected while disregarding the plight of the other side? We no longer have debates because it takes two open minded people discussing each other’s views while also acknowledging that if the others.

The national anthem stands for our freedom from tyranny of a foreign nation. Honoring how bravely we fought for those freedoms we so deeply believed in. Nowhere in the song does it mention race or equality. We were all one nation fighting for the same beliefs and freedoms. So to not show honor during that song is disrespectful. To not even get butterfly’s when hearing that song seems like it has lost its meaning. The black community has every right to be upset with the way to police handled this incident. There are much better avenues and more impactful ways then ostracizing yourself from the group when you kneel for the anthem. United we stand, divided we fall. The real change happens from action but with today’s social media people think retweeting a quote or another post is somehow impactful. Rise above the noise... shows us the better way... lead by example... and put in tangible work to help promote change. I support Drew 100% not because he is white/black or right/wrong, but because it’s his god given freedoms of this country. If you don’t agree with him don’t condemn him. Instead maybe try and understand him and maybe you can then impart some of your beliefs on him.

We are a lost people. No longer can Have a civil disagreement about differing views. Disagreeing with the other while still understanding the others beliefs. Drew did not speak any untruth. Simply because it is his truth and what he believes. The beauty of this country in the freedom to express those exact opinions. How can you Profess your beliefs and expect to have them respected while disregarding the plight of the other side? We no longer have debates because it takes two open minded people discussing each other’s views while also acknowledging that if the others.

The national anthem stands for our freedom from tyranny of a foreign nation. Honoring how bravely we fought for those freedoms we so deeply believed in. Nowhere in the song does it mention race or equality. We were all one nation fighting for the same beliefs and freedoms. So to not show honor during that song is disrespectful. To not even get butterfly’s when hearing that song seems like it has lost its meaning. The black community has every right to be upset with the way to police handled this incident. There are much better avenues and more impactful ways then ostracizing yourself from the group when you kneel for the anthem. United we stand, divided we fall. The real change happens from action but with today’s social media people think retweeting a quote or another post is somehow impactful. Rise above the noise... shows us the better way... lead by example... and put in tangible work to help promote change. I support Drew 100% not because he is white/black or right/wrong, but because it’s his god given freedoms of this country. If you don’t agree with him don’t condemn him. Instead maybe try and understand him and maybe you can then impart some of your beliefs on him.
Politics are politics.

I think most just want Drew to be on the right side when it comes to right vs wrong and injustices.

This is much, much, much, much bigger than Drew Brees. Maybe positive change in society will come about as a result of all of this. But its mind boggling to see so many turn on Brees for saying exactly what he said two years ago. Do you think 70,000 people are going to stand and cheer when they see the majority of every team kneel? No, which is why its a no-win situation to bring politics into a game that is supposed to serve as an escape for most fans. This is not about whether Drew survives the blow back. Its really about whether the NFL and pro sports survive the double whammy of Covid19 and a racial divide that has been going for 200+ years. It WILL be brought to the forefront in 2020 and it will be controversial and guess what? It is not about the national anthem.

Brees is getting exactly what we should all expect. His teammates didn't say he was evil or racist. But if he's not, he needs to wake up fast. If black lives truly matter, it shouldn't be so hard for some to say.

If you call someone a friend and you know that someone is a good person, a small mistake should not be enough to throw this person under the bus. Specially knowing everybody else would go for his head.

It is not like he said something bad enough to assume he thinks black lives doesn't matter.

Now, I totally understand the response from everybody else, people not close to him. I'm just saying, the way his teammates acted basically turned everything much worse for Brees and what is coming at him from now on is something I don't think he deserves. As much as he is wrong.

Um, actually the anthem does mention slavery. Just Google Francis Scott Key Racist. Slavery actually is mentioned in the anthem and Key was a slaveholder.

Not to mention it was not written during the revolutionary war and doesn't stand for freedom from tyranny. It stands for us surviving a massive attack. Its a wonderful song, if you disregard the warts of the author.

If you call someone a friend and you know that someone is a good person, a small mistake should not be enough to throw this person under the bus. Specially knowing everybody else would go for his head.

It is not like he said something bad enough to assume he thinks black lives doesn't matter.

Now, I totally understand the response from everybody else, people not close to him. I'm just saying, the way his teammates acted basically turned everything much worse for Brees and what is coming at him from now on is something I don't think he deserves. As much as he is wrong.
They all know him much better than any of us do. He'll undoubtedly talk to all of them, but if the relationship is still damaged after that, that says something, I think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom