How do you think this all ends with Drew and his incensed teammates? (1 Viewer)

Drew Brees has built up a tremendous amount of goodwill in New Orleans, so he can recover from this, but he'll need to actively work to fix this.

Drew Brees has built up a tremendous amount of goodwill in New Orleans, so he can recover from this, but he'll need to actively work to fix this.

Nah. It's a wrap. We will cheer for the Saints but that love we once had for Drew ain't coming back. This will certainly ease the transition to Hill. On another note, I pray that the Brees family is protecting their children from this.

Last edited:
I already posted it in another thread...

I think it becomes a fire-storm and he ultimately decides to retire before next season.
I think it will come down to Drew.

I honestly don‘t think the culture in the locker room is the same it was a few years ago when Drew was able to work the room and get people to basically bend toward his preferred path of events as the league strong-armed the situation.

I think the only other path out would be an unlikely but extensive set of national reforms to address police and criminal justice misconduct that would allow both sides and Drew‘s ego to find an exit strategy He can live with.

He made public comments, and his teammates publicly disagreed/called him out. It's their responsibility to say something. Brees undermined the protest by saying it "disrespects the flag". I respect people, not flags. And I respect each Saints player who had the nerve to call out a legend. When you're wrong, you're wrong. IDC if you're my favorite athlete of all time or an Atlanta Foulcon.

Yes, he said something publicly and people can disagree and call him out, but in my opinion what his teammates did was kick to him to the abyss. Brees is the most hated person in the US right now, do you really think he deserves that title? How many black guys did he kill to earn it?

There are people in New Orleans chanting "f drew brees". All I'm saying is, I expect this type of reaction from people when something like this happens, but maybe his teammates, his friends, that know him, know he is a good person and knowing all the hate that was coming his way could hold down a little bit and not put more fire in the whole situation.

This whole thing is a bunch of sheet. Drew has done more for people in need than most. His track record speaks for itself, period.

Hear one sound clip and he's cancelled? Malcolm Jenkins needs to go ASAP, his comments towards Drew are going to tear this team apart. Drew is not a racist and everyone, including Malcolm Jenkins, knows this.

Nah. It's a wrap. We will cheer for the Saints but that love ain't coming back. This will certainly ease the transition from Brees to Hill.

Right now I think Brees is trying to figure out is it worth the energy to go on an apology tour to clean up media backlash until the season begins, AND convince teammates to support him for a whole season, just so he can play his 20th season in peace. Or just give a quick apology and go ahead and retire with all of the records.

His last NFL season may potentially be a media nightmare and living hell for him and his team unnecessarily because of his comments. That may not be worth it for anybody on the Saints

Yes, he said something publicly and people can disagree and call him out, but in my opinion what his teammates did was kick to him to the abyss. Brees is the most hated person in the US right now, do you really think he deserves that title? How many black guys did he kill to earn it?

There are people in New Orleans chanting "f drew brees". All I'm saying is, I expect this type of reaction from people when something like this happens, but maybe his teammates, his friends, that know him, know he is a good person and knowing all the hate that was coming his way could hold down a little bit and not put more fire in the whole situation.

I would say they probably believe he betrayed them with his comments. He is the one that brought up the kneeling issue - there wasn't even a need to bring that up. Just stand up and say that he feels terribly for the family of George Floyd, that he believes we need to do better in ensuring that there is equal protection under the law and he hopes that he and his teammates can be a force for change, peace and reconciliation. He could have kept it bland and let his black teammates take the lead on this issue.

Nah. It's a wrap. We will cheer for the Saints but that love ain't coming back. This will certainly ease the transition from Brees to Hill.

Maybe, but people tend to love a redemption story. It would take work on his part, but I suspect if he actually takes the time to listen to his teammates, and works actively to promote equal justice for black Americans, people will forgive him.

He has a tremendous amount of power, if he used it for promoting racial equality and reconciliation he could help a lot and I think he'd be forgiven.

Right now I think Brees is trying to figure out is it worth the energy to go on an apology tour to clean up media backlash until the season begins, AND convince teammates to support him for a whole season, just so he can play his 20th season in peace. Or just give a quick apology and go ahead and retire with all of the records.

His last NFL season may potentially be a media nightmare and living hell for him and his team unnecessarily because of his comments. That may not be worth it for anybody on the Saints

I think the team will get this figured out, and i think it’ll all get worked out somehow.. But the one thing I’m pretty confident about is that Brees WILL NOT retire on a note like this, it wont end this way... Feel free to quote my post for posterity b/c I’ve been wrong before, but i would bet good money he wont retire before this season (assuming the season is played.)

Tony, why are you talking about disrespecting the flag? We're talking about kneeling during the national anthem. The national anthem is not the flag. They are not the same thing. One is a poem and the other is a symbol of freedom. I don't recall seeing any players wiping their arses with the flag, kneeling on it or burning it. When did that happen?
If I’m correct didn’t Drew talk about disrespecting the flag? The national anthem is the same as the flag in many aspects as it is a symbol of our nation. So disrespecting one is as good as the other in my opinion. For athletes who benefit from so much this country has to offer that they get a free college education and if they are good enough get to live life’s that most us can only dream about to complain about it is the height of hypocrisy.

Is it possible that you don't understand the concept behind his beliefs? Is it even possible? Maybe?
Based on the interview and the explanation he gave, the concept behind his beliefs is that his two grandfathers served in WW2. My grandfather served in WW2 but he wasn't allowed to fight because of his color. My dad served in the US Army stationed in Germany. My oldest brother served in the US Navy aboard a sub tender. My other brother served in the USMC and I served in the US Navy. My uncle was a US marine on the USS Okinawa during the fall of Saigon. Yeah, I have a good idea of the concept of his beliefs.

What I can't understand though is why he refuses to understand when the players tell him that they are not protesting the flag and that their protest has never been about the flag. Kneeling during the anthem is NOT disrespecting the flag. Burning the flag is disrespectful to the flag. Wearing the flag is disrespectful to the flag. Letting a flag touch the ground is disrespectful to the flag. Throwing and old torn up flag in the trash rather than retiring it properly is disrespectful to the flag.

Only chance he has for redemption is to fall on his sword, apologize, and take a knee with the entire team every week. Or else get out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom