How Does The Chargers Win Rank All Time? (1 Viewer)

For me, top 5 for the improbability of it happening. Probably the best regular season comeback from the Saints I've seen in my lifetime.

It was a good win. It was an emotional win for the players, and I suppose many of the fans. The improbable turn of events made me celebrate more than most wins, but it was nowhere near the 2009 Miami comeback. That was epic, and nearly gave me a hernia and heart attack at the same time.

This win ranks as one of the lowest wins to me. The Chargers had us beat and they put the ball on the ground. They are not a good team. We are not a good team. I am not going all "Suck for Luck" but we don't even know if this win was meaningful at all. All 13 of the 2009 wins rank higher than this. All 10 of the 2006 wins rank higher than this. Likewise for 2011 and 2013. The 2000 season was better. Not to mention all of our playoff games. Every win with the Dome Patrol was better than this. Tom Dempsey's kick ranks higher than this.

Top 5 worse fumbles

Top 5 worse meltdowns.

Not top 5 comebacks. The end looked rigged, like watching a boxer dance for 2 minutes and get KOed by a punch that missed him by a foot.

The only time I felt the team could win was after Webb's int.

The offense couldn't move the ball, and the defense couldn't stop them. I don't think the offense could've scored a TD if they needed more than 1 first down.

Miami and Washington in 09 are my top 2
Then any comeback during SP era.

Probably find at least 2-3 better between haslett and ditka.

Mora era I think Walsh or Fourcade may have led a comeback. ( Mostly remember Walsh being unable to overcome 2 point defecit)

Mora/ Hebert didn't have personnel/plays to comeback from more than 7 pts.

Bum era had more exciting losses than this win. (even 83 jets 4th qtr. lose was more exciting and I had to go to bed halfway through.

One of the fumbles, we caused. The other was magic. Call it a Charger choke job, but we still had to score TDs on both possession(not a given at the time). Then with a little under 2 mins to go, our suspect D had to knuckle up and stop them, and we did in brilliant fashion. With all our injuries, inconsistencies, lack of D talent, and all the bad luck that has handicapped this version of the team, I'd have to rank this one 2nd all time, just behind the Miami win in 06.

It ranks right there with at...

saints: 150 crazy ridiculous loses w/ weird circumstances vs a handful of victories over weird circumstances.

The 09' win in Miami was pretty amazing because we were getting hammered right out of the gate. 24-3 before we even knew what hit us. That game showed me we could get off the mat following a couple of hard punches.

The 09' Redskins game ranks highly because we played a very sloppy game in all facets and really had to grind back in and capitalize on a missed chipshot FG just to send it into OT. It showed we had heart and guts.

The 09' Patriots game was pretty great in that it was a (albeit temporary) passing of the torch to the Saints as legitimate championship contenders.

The 06' game in Dallas was incredible. It was the true arrival of Brees/Payton. Just had never seen a team of virtual unknowns play with such heart and gusto. It was a defining moment of what the next 10 years of Saints football was going to be.

Some other memorable regular season games (pre-Payton/Brees)to me are:

1987 win in Candlestick against the Niners
1989 win in snowy Buffalo with Fourcade as QB.
1990 win over a 13-1 Niners team in San Fran to keep us in contention for the playoffs
1990 win over Rams on New Years Eve to secure second playoff birth
1992 three game stretch where we won three games in 11 days
1998 win over Dallas where we held Emmit Smith to like 12 yds.
2000 every win felt like a treat -- loved that team. The game is St. Louis where we beat them in St. Louis for Brooks' first start was pretty epic.

The Chargers game was pretty darned improbable. When we punted with 6 minutes left, down by 13 -- I just assumed that we'd given up on the season.

At the moment of that punt -- San Diego had a 98.20% probability of winning that game.

I never thought we'd win that game.
As mentioned above, if this is the spark that prompts us to going on a run and making the post season -- I'll sure as heck place it in my top 5.

09 patriots-

Will always be remembered as the game that 2 street FAs (mcalister and McKenzie) shut down Brady and moss. McKenzie having to call Payton and ask him to sign him.

You'll need to ask me this question at the end of the season.

If it somehow ends up being the catalyst that spurred along a string of Saints wins that led them to the playoffs, then I may hold it in higher regard.

If it turns out to be another 7-9 type of season........then I don't even know that I'd put it ahead of that comeback that Aaron Brooks pulled off in 2001 against the Rams in STL.

I'm definitely happy for Drew though.....it sounded like playing in this stadium, probably for the last time, meant everything to him.

Well said.....

It ranks as a gift. The Chargers blew it more than the Saints won it. It got us to 1-3 with a brutal upcoming schedule with the 31st ranked defense. I don't rank this win in any list whatsoever.

Pretty much spot on.

Its one of those games that the youth needed to get that confidence.. to know what it feels like to win.. to know what it is to put in work and not be disappointed... its one of those experience games that will carry on to bigger things.. like 2017 season.. when key veterans are brought in and one more good draft leads us back to the promised land.

It makes me sad that we even want to rank these kinds of victories nowadays. For awhile there, a win like this was just the Saints keeping it interesting till the end. But now... Now it feels like the old days. The old, old days.

Like that time we beat the 49ers in a random afternoon game and I damn near broke my wrist trying to do the snake afterwards. I used to get soooooo happy with the sloppiest, most meaningless victories ever. I was that person jumping around and grinning like a fool if we won the last game of a season when we weren't going to the playoffs. I used to think I wanted to be that kind of fan again. I think I changed my mind.

The team has to take advantage of turnovers. Bottom line, this week they did. Giants basically handed us the game and we didnt take it.

The sequence at the end of this game was as improbable as it gets. When I saw the punt before it started, I thought that was a weird way to concede the game. Then the first fumble was like, ok. The first TD was scored with not a whole lot of time left. I thought, nice way to make a good effort to finish it out. Then the 2nd fumble, I was like, hey you've got my attention! Then the second TD to go up 1. I was like, what the heck just happened? When we got the TD to seal the game, I was like...I'm dreaming right? This can't be real. Lol.

I try to live in the moment, and this was definitely one for the ages regardless of how the rest of the season goes, but if this starts a magical playoff run, it sure would be all that much sweeter.

I already lowered my expectations a couple of weeks ago, so any win is gravy for me going forward. Who dat!

For me, top 5 for the improbability of it happening. Probably the best regular season comeback from the Saints I've seen in my lifetime.

Miami 2009 was an insane comeback. Cannot be topped in my mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom