How Does The Chargers Win Rank All Time? (1 Viewer)

The only thing this game means to me is that Brees may never play there again and he wanted this win in a huge way. He even stayed on the field playing with his kids for like 90 minutes after it was over.

Yeah the Chargers did gack this one up big time but if the Saints don't go back to work and capitalize on the generous offerings given up the game means even less.

Didn't the defense end the last three drives with 3 straight turnovers? If nothing else it showed me that they didn't quit!!

The 09' win in Miami was pretty amazing because we were getting hammered right out of the gate. 24-3 before we even knew what hit us. That game showed me we could get off the mat following a couple of hard punches.

The 09' Redskins game ranks highly because we played a very sloppy game in all facets and really had to grind back in and capitalize on a missed chipshot FG just to send it into OT. It showed we had heart and guts.

The 09' Patriots game was pretty great in that it was a (albeit temporary) passing of the torch to the Saints as legitimate championship contenders.

The 06' game in Dallas was incredible. It was the true arrival of Brees/Payton. Just had never seen a team of virtual unknowns play with such heart and gusto. It was a defining moment of what the next 10 years of Saints football was going to be.

Some other memorable regular season games (pre-Payton/Brees)to me are:

1987 win in Candlestick against the Niners
1989 win in snowy Buffalo with Fourcade as QB.
1990 win over a 13-1 Niners team in San Fran to keep us in contention for the playoffs
1990 win over Rams on New Years Eve to secure second playoff birth
1992 three game stretch where we won three games in 11 days
1998 win over Dallas where we held Emmit Smith to like 12 yds.
2000 every win felt like a treat -- loved that team. The game is St. Louis where we beat them in St. Louis for Brooks' first start was pretty epic.

The Chargers game was pretty darned improbable. When we punted with 6 minutes left, down by 13 -- I just assumed that we'd given up on the season.

At the moment of that punt -- San Diego had a 98.20% probability of winning that game.

I never thought we'd win that game.
As mentioned above, if this is the spark that prompts us to going on a run and making the post season -- I'll sure as heck place it in my top 5.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 24
The Miami game in the '09 season, the Redskins game in the '09 season. As someone else has said, that chargers game was a gift, with those 2 fumbles leaving us in great field position, was nice to see the defense step it up again in the very end to seal it with an interception.

Better than vs Miami in 2009? I'd disagree.

The main thing this week's game had going for it was the improbability, but the Chargers gifted us 2 golden opportunities which we needed to win so while I'm very pleased we won, it didn't have the feel of the Miami game for me - in that game we had to fight back and win ourselves, rather than Miami handing it to us like San Diego did.

We got a couple gifts/breaks in that Miami game, as well. If I remember correctly, Sharper intercepted a pass and had fumbled it forward near the goal line - it looked like it passed over the pylon which would be a touchback and no score. And right before the half Colston looked to score as he stretched for the goal line. The initial call was a TD, but on review his knee touch prior to the ball crossing the plane. The incorrect call stopped the clock which would have expired with no score. Oddly, I believe Miami called timeout allowing us to set up a last second play and I think that was a Brees leap and extend the ball over the goal line for a td. Without those two TDs, I'm not sure we make the comeback.

But, it was that kind of magical year. The probability that the Redskins kicker would miss that game clenching chip shot field goal was extremely unlikely.

That ''s a pretty good comparison, but the '09 Redskins game is certainly above this Chargers win. We needed a missed chip shot FG by the Redskins to pull that one out and the win was extremely important in helping us get home field advantage in the NFC championship game.

Of course, the 2009 NFC championship game has to be the most significant game in which the Saints pulled victory from the jaws of defeat. We ended up with a 5-1 turnover advantage in that game, yet it still took a boneheaded 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty after a timeout to move the Vikings out of FG range, followed by Favre's careless pass to Tracy Porter to save our Super Bowl season. I'm not sure any game will ever top that one as far as most significant win that seemed improbable at the end.

Plus the Washington win was the game that won us the division title.

It's up there for me, as far as regular season goes. It doesn't surpass Miami/Washington in 09, Houston in 11, but strictly from how improbable it was towards the end.. it was pretty stunning.

We were reeling, bad. Staring down the barrel of an 0-4 record going into the bye, the team looked shot. I applaud our defense for making adjustments and getting us back in the game.

The Chargers last 6 offensive plays: Fumble, fumble, sack, botched snap, incompletion, interception.

That's pretty remarkable. I call hogwash to anyone who says that the Chargers gave us the game or that they were gifts.

Tell that to Vonn Bell (and Kenny Vaccaro) who put his hat on the football and singlehandedly gave us life.

Tell that to Mike Thomas who made an insanely difficult TD catch on 4th and 2 to cut it to a one possession game. Talk about clutch.

Tell that to Stupar who was running in fierce to hit Benjamin and which forced him to cower and drop the ball.

Or the defensive line who got a much needed first down sack on San Diego's final possession.

And lastly, to the brilliant Who Dats who made the Chargers feel like they were on the road with how loud it was on that final drive. I'd say that might have contributed a little to that botched snap when they couldn't line up. I straight up heard a loud defense chant from the TV. That's amazing.

The team obviously needed this win to keep this season alive, but you could tell that the team wanted this for Drew.

We weren't given this win, we took this win. Ive heard so many negative comments about how this win is useless, our season is shot anyway, whatever.

I don't have a rank for it for our all time comebacks, but I'll say this: Regardless of what our final record is this season, this was a special win because a win like this will will without a doubt pay huge dividends in molding the culture of this young football team.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It will never beat the Redskins or Dolphins 2009 win but it was quite awesome

Considering that I have been calling this year a learning year and the next two years will be the actual impact years, I have to reserve judgement on this win.

But I do think that this is the type of win that can really make a difference in the locker room next year, when a much better (healthier) Saints team is facing adversity and needs a bit of a pick-me-up. Who knows? That game may be for a division title, first round bye, or even in the playoffs.

And I'd say that makes this win pretty darn important.

It's definitely different from the ways we've ended our other losing streaks to starts seasons.

2007 - went on the road to Seattle....but basically dominated the game. The score actually looked somewhat closer at the end than it probably really was.

2012 - Chargers.....but really, I think most everybody expected that to happen......since it was a night game in the Dome (that still kinda meant something, even that season) and Brees was about to break a record.

2014 - Vikings........the Saints were double-digit favorites to win that game, and those definitely weren't the Vikings of today.

2015 - Cowboys......pretty much Spiller's 1 play ever, but Dallas ended up with less than 5 wins and we were expected to win this one...particularly since Romo was out.

But 2016.....yeah this one was definitely "different". Whether that "difference" means we'll see a different outcome from all those 7-9 endings in those other seasons...who knows.

This win ranks as one of the lowest wins to me. The Chargers had us beat and they put the ball on the ground. They are not a good team. We are not a good team. I am not going all "Suck for Luck" but we don't even know if this win was meaningful at all. All 13 of the 2009 wins rank higher than this. All 10 of the 2006 wins rank higher than this. Likewise for 2011 and 2013. The 2000 season was better. Not to mention all of our playoff games. Every win with the Dome Patrol was better than this. Tom Dempsey's kick ranks higher than this.

This win ranks as one of the lowest wins to me. The Chargers had us beat and they put the ball on the ground. They are not a good team. We are not a good team. I am not going all "Suck for Luck" but we don't even know if this win was meaningful at all. All 13 of the 2009 wins rank higher than this. All 10 of the 2006 wins rank higher than this. Likewise for 2011 and 2013. The 2000 season was better. Not to mention all of our playoff games. Every win with the Dome Patrol was better than this. Tom Dempsey's kick ranks higher than this.

I don't disagree with you saying that many of those wins (at least for now) should top this one.

I DO think, however, that you might be shoveling dirt on the Saints way too quickly. You have no idea what this win may end up doing for the Saints the rest of the way. Look at Dallas 2 years ago. They started off losing to Frisco (a team who was SUPPOSED to be good that year, but turned out not to be) in a game where it looked like over 60% of the fans in the stadium were wearing red. After beating a mediocre Titans team, they went on the road to STL and were down 21-0. They stormed back to win that game.....and after that, won 4 more in a row...and ended up 12-4. We have no idea what role that comeback against STL had in their season.....just like we have no idea what role this comeback against SD will have for the Saints.

We started off 1-3 in 2000. Just saying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom