how does the reserve non football injury player rule work ? (1 Viewer)

saintlad

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I saw where the Saints put offensive lineman Avery Young on the reserve non-football injury list, so he no longer counts against the roster.

While I am happy it helps us in roster number count, how does that work ? how does he not count ? Will he be able to comeback anytime? or has to wait six weeks ? is like medical red shirt in college? kind of prevent other teams from claiming him?

Thanks

I saw where the Saints put offensive lineman Avery Young on the reserve non-football injury list, so he no longer counts against the roster.

While I am happy it helps us in roster number count, how does that work ? how does he not count ? Will he be able to comeback anytime? or has to wait six weeks ? is like medical red shirt in college? kind of prevent other teams from claiming him?

Thanks

Hope this helps

Preseason PUP[edit]

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP[edit]

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

Non-football injury[edit]

A similar list, known as the "non-football injury" (NFI) list, is functionally equivalent to PUP, but is used for players who are unable to practice as a result of conditions unrelated to football. For example, New England Patriots tackle Marcus Cannon began his rookie season on the NFI list as he recovered from chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Also, David Quessenberry of the Houston Texans was put on the NFI list in mid-June, 2014 after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at the age of 23.

The NFI designation, despite its name, also covers injuries sustained during football played outside the NFL, including college football. Willis McGahee spent his entire rookie season on the Buffalo Bills' NFI list due to the major knee injury he sustained in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl

It also means the team doesn't pay is salary for the weeks he is out and so there is no cap hit for those weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom