How does the Switch work? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
We're looking at getting a Switch for the "kids" (read: and me) for Xmas. Main targets are the Zelda game, Mario Cart, and Minecraft, in that order.

So here's my question. I know the old Mario Cart did 4x split screen. I assume this one does that as well. So what bundle, version, etc... should I get and what controller options should I get with it? Any advice?

I still have my launch day switch, it's help up beautifully.

Being the only bundle I've see ln this holiday season is the Mariokart one, looks like that's your pick. The pro controller is awesome and also works with Steam.

And yes, Zelda breath of the wild is a must have.

Okay, so should I get 4 controllers in addition to what comes with the system? Is there a splitter attachment that I need to play all 4 at once?

The easiest way to play with 4 is to buy another pair of joycon, assuming your not talking about the switch lite (you don't want that one)

Each joycon can be used by itself to play Mariokart. I just prefer the feeling of the procontroller. 4 of those would be kinda pricey.

So the switch itself comes with 2 controllers? Sorry but I’m confused by the handheld design

Okay, so should I get 4 controllers in addition to what comes with the system? Is there a splitter attachment that I need to play all 4 at once?
It comes with two joycons so you'd have to buy another pair for about $80. But nothing more than that needed. You can play local multiplayer up to four joycons on one Switch console.

So the switch itself comes with 2 controllers? Sorry but I’m confused by the handheld design
Yes, the controllers on each side are detachable, wireless and can be used individually for some games, like Mariokart. If you bought a second pair, you have 4 player mariokart

And it's 4-control capable out of the box, right? No splitter or doodad required?

Also, Switch Lite and Switch Deluxe . . . stay away?

Lite doesn't have detachable joycons so def not. Best Buy has the Mario Kart Switch bundle for $300 right now. Can't do any better than that. Didn't see any sale on the joycons themselves (I'm lookin at getting a pair myself) so probly just have to pay the full $80.

Never mind. That bundle is sold out everywhere. I guess I'll just get the basic or go with something else.

The joy cons are removable and can be used as their own controllers in MarioKart. You definitely want to get the pro controller as well. So there's three controllers. For a 4th you might opt for another set of joy cons. You can mount them together and create a classic style controller like so...

1607016630355.png

My wife stood in line at GameStop and got the bundle and the joycons, so we're good. I'll look at the pro controller after I see just how much of this I'm actually going to play.

The switch is awesome. It’s not a PS/XBOX but it’s much better for kids, and it’s ability to use as a game boy id nuts. Oh...and it has three of the best games on any console. I’d definitely not get the lite...for $100 the extra features are really worth it. I’d only consider a lite if you already own a regular switch and want the lite to be able to give yourself additional multiplayer modes.

I’d also get an extra joycon 2-set. There are cheaper options but it’s the most durable and versatile. We went through a few $20-30 controllers before just getting the extra joycon set. Also, there are games like Mario Party that require joycon.

Regarding games: there are three musts on my list. Breath of the Wild (arguably the best video game ever made), MarioKart, and Smash Brothers. You will not be disappointed in any of those games. There are tons of other really good games, but it would be more dependent on what you and your family likes. The kids love Mario Odyssey and Luigis Mansion. I like them...don’t love them. Everyone loves Untitled Goose Game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom