How does this D stack up to the top Dome Patrol era Ds (1 Viewer)

Which Defenses was better?

• Domepatrol Ds

• Current D

• Push

• Can't compare them (tacoes)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I never thought I would ponder that during the Drew Brees era but I think it's a legit conversation now.

obviously those teams had better LBs There will never be another 4 like them.

I think across the board this line is better. Although like the LBs you are comparing 3 man unit vs 4 man unit which has to be factored in.

We have better CB play now. I wasn't so sure of that to start the season.

not sure on safeties I loved me some Mean Gene.

It's kind of hard to compare. The brutal hits the Dome Patrol used to make regularly are now illegal. Of course the dome patrol LBs were better and our key strength is D-line. Our secondary this year is a solid line-up though compared to some of the dome patrol secondaries that were sort of erratic. Back then we were somewhat lopsided. Sure we had Atkins, but we also had Toi Cook.

I think the biggest difference is the back end. Our DB’s are legit... Sammy Knight was an awesome safety, but our front 7 made that defense. Our front 7 now is really good, but not quite that good... Its probably a push, but I take this year’s D just because its here and I am so enjoying this domination.

Yeah, Lattimore is better than any CB we had in that era (you could argue Apple is, too). I would rank Dave Waymer as FS ahead of Marcus Williams. D-line in the current unit is better, but the Dome Patrol is better than AJ/Demario/Anzalone/Kiko (this isn't meant as a slight to either the Mora DL or the current LB corps).

It's kind of hard to compare. The brutal hits the Dome Patrol used to make regularly are now illegal. Of course the dome patrol LBs were better and our key strength is D-line. Our secondary this year is a solid line-up though compared to some of the dome patrol secondaries that were sort of erratic. Back then we were somewhat lopsided. Sure we had Atkins, but we also had Toi Cook.

Sammy knight was not part of the Dome Patrol

Also...it ain't even close...the 1991 Saints led the league in points allowed, interceptions and at or near the top in nearly every category.

In 1992 they allowed 202 points leading the league and was at the top in nearly every category.

Last edited:
I'd say secondary is a push, D.P had better L.Bs but this D-Line we have now is slighly better, also a 3-4 vs. 4-3

I think the biggest difference is the back end. Our DB’s are legit... Sammy Knight was an awesome safety, but our front 7 made that defense. Our front 7 now is really good, but not quite that good... Its probably a push, but I take this year’s D just because its here and I am so enjoying this domination.
Sammy Knight at safety during the dome patrol days would have been like putting in a cheat code

Dome was better, we knew if the offense could score one TD we would win, but this one is awful close

2 different defenses in 2 completely different eras. But theres 1 thing that makes us compare this defense to a legit all time defense. Its the same reason theres arguments about who is the GOAT Michael vs Lebron, when theres no doubt its MJ.

Time.

We forget how absolutely monstrous that defense was.

The 87 defense AVERAGED 3.2 TO a game. 30 Interceptions. 18 Fumble recoveries. #4 overall ranking.

91 defense gave up 13.2 ppg, #1. Ranked #2 overall ypg. 48 turnovers. 50 sacks.

Right now we have 9 turnovers. 6 Fumbles, 3 Int. Averaging 1.3 TO a game.

The DP defenses gave up fewer points, fewer yards and averaged almost 2 more TO per game. Different era, sure. But 2 more turnovers per game makes this a no contest.

This defense is on pace for about 7-8 INTs. 87 had 30 in 15 games. 91 had 29 in 16.
This defense is on pace for about 14 fumble recoveries. Those defenses had 18 and 19 respectively.

This is the best defense of he Brees/Payton era, but it aint dome patrol. Yet.

Last edited:
Dome Patrol LB's were the best ever, on any team. This year's DL and DB's are probably better but not by such a large margin to overcome the difference in LB play. Regardless, in this era of offensive football, I'm loving our D.

I've seen both defenses play and while I love the current Saints defense the Dome Patrol was a feared defense.

This defense is a good one but they haven't reached the "feared" status just yet.

Man oh man, the dome patrol used to rag doll people. Whole different era. Best lb Corp ever!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom