How dumb was it to have Co-Defensive Coordinators? (1 Viewer)

DA should be fired for this move alone! We lose both defensive coordinators because instead of naming one to DC, he names them both. And now because it is a promotion to full time DC there was nothing we could do!! On top of it all, Nielsen is going to Atlanta. This coaching staff is a joke.
Who even knew who Nielson was before he left, outside of a passing reference? Maybe they were co-coaches because neither one was considered able to handle the job alone. I am sure these two are replaceable

DA should be fired for this move alone! We lose both defensive coordinators because instead of naming one to DC, he names them both. And now because it is a promotion to full time DC there was nothing we could do!! On top of it all, Nielsen is going to Atlanta. This coaching staff is a joke.
Would have happened regardless. From what I understand, Dennis Allen is always going to call the plays on defense. If you name a DC and he doesn't call the plays, being offered a DC job that actually calls plays = promotion. Allen would have had to forfeit play calling to keep either guy.

The biggest joke was that neither was a real DC anymore than Charmichael was an OC under Payton. Of course they left.

The fact Charmichael stayed subordinate so long then declined the job should say a lot.

I can't see us doing a mid-season firing. And I don't think that will happen. I know that's what a lot of people want. But I think we're contending for if not winning the division next year. It's not a difficult division and I think we have the best roster. We need a QB. But so does the rest of our division. Unless someone gets Aaron Rodgers or Lamar Jackson, it's up for grabs.
You may be right. The volatility of the coaches and QBs in the NFC South going back to 2019, has been dizzying. The ROI of Rodgers and Jackson is pretty poor, in respect to their asking price. I can see teams like the Niners, or another play off team in need of a QB. But, for most teams it isn't a good deal.

Carr is good enough, and his asking price isn't cost prohibitive. We can make it work. He can get up to speed on the play book in a weekend. I think Carr could have won, at least 2 more games last year, if he was here. We still have to get a RB and a real TE, but we are much better team, than the Raiders team today.

You may be right. The volatility of the coaches and QBs in the NFC South going back to 2019, has been dizzying. The ROI of Rodgers and Jackson is pretty poor, in respect to their asking price. I can see teams like the Niners, or another play off team in need of a QB. But, for most teams it isn't a good deal.

Carr is good enough, and his asking price isn't cost prohibitive. We can make it work. He can get up to speed on the play book in a weekend. I think Carr could have won, at least 2 more games last year, if he was here. We still have to get a RB and a real TE, but we are much better team, than the Raiders team today.

I have a feeling if available we'll make a run at Lamar Jackson just as we did Deshaun Watson last year. But maybe DA's relationship with Carr is such that we'll go that direction instead. Either way I have no doubt we're trying to win next year and we aren't going to leave it up to who may be available with the 29th pick in the draft so I'm expecting Lamar, Carr, Jimmy G...someone.

Complain all you want about the offensive side of the ball, but until proven otherwise, DA knows what he's doing with the defense.

And to say otherwise is just evidence that you're rooting for the Saints to fail, so you can be right about Dennis Allen instead of being hopeful that he can turn things around.

We did. And we blew a few games we shouldn't have. But we were decimated with injuries. Chris Harris came off the street and started half of the season for us.
They weren’t that bad on with injuries. The worse was QB, but when Winston got healthy, supposedly, DA was too stubborn to give him a chance. Plus the offense they ran did them in.

They weren’t that bad on with injuries. The worse was QB, but when Winston got healthy, supposedly, DA was too stubborn to give him a chance. Plus the offense they ran did them in.

Weren't too bad with injuries? Basically all of our receivers, DBs, and most of our offensive line out most of the season. Add in Pete Werner. Cam playing one game with one eye and missing the next. Ingram. Jameis is the least of the problems. I think we would've been worse with him playing.

I have a feeling if available we'll make a run at Lamar Jackson just as we did Deshaun Watson last year. But maybe DA's relationship with Carr is such that we'll go that direction instead. Either way I have no doubt we're trying to win next year and we aren't going to leave it up to who may be available with the 29th pick in the draft so I'm expecting Lamar, Carr, Jimmy G...someone.
I hope so, because Carr would be the easiest fit for our OC and passing scheme.

I think Lamar would be the biggest heavy lift for us to get the roster up to speed for his skill set. I'm not buying his leadership skills. His own team is willing to part ways with him in trade.

They have invested heavily around him, but he hasn't won enough big games. He really only has one yr of elite play. I really just think it is a mistake to have the highest paid player on the team, gaining half his YDs/TDs getting tackled. Running QBs never last till they are 40yrs old. Not a good ROI.

Jimmy G is great, but the way we go through QBs on this team. I don't think he would hold up here.

Weren't too bad with injuries? Basically all of our receivers, DBs, and most of our offensive line out most of the season. Add in Pete Werner. Cam playing one game with one eye and missing the next. Ingram. Jameis is the least of the problems. I think we would've been worse with him playing.
Why the Winston bashing? If he was truly healthy, he should have been playing. AD was worse than Winston by a mile. All of the WRs were not hurt. Only MT was out. Landry was almost a non-factor, even the few games played. The entire oline wasn’t out the whole season. DA just decided on which players he was gonna play. He effectively removed Calloway and played TQS, Juwan Johnson, and Adam Trautman sparingly. He ineffectively used AK41 and Hill until the last 4-5 games, and he never really worked any of the backup RBs into the game plan to help out AK41 once Ingram got hurt. He basically went with Olave and Shaheed at WR, with an occasional Juwan Johnson at TE. He ran AK41 up the middle on 1st and 2nd down way too much, and on the running plays, he rarely used his FB or used the TEs to help seal the edges when running outside. So please don’t tell me it was all about injuries and Winston would have been worse. DA’s decision on employment of his resources outside of injuries was a completely disaster.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom