How Ed Orgeron outsmarted college football (1 Viewer)

No, the biggest name and best coaches (Saban and Urban come to mind) develop their assistants who then get plucked for head coaching jobs themselves because they’re the best in the business. I can think of 10 div 1 coaches from those two coaching trees.
There isn’t an Orgeron coaching tree.

Yea well he has not been a head coach at a top ten program for 15 years either. Just 3. Don’t say old miss. It’s not in LSU class

which means absolutely jack shirt since here you are calling him a stupid bumpkin

Since I was responding to the claim that I am somehow against keeping an alternate culture alive, I'd say that it does mean jack shirt. Pay attention, please.

It takes a large set of family jewels to understand your limitations and hand over responsibilities. I have been around several head coaches over the years in high school and college and almost every single one was somewhat of a control freak with one side of the ball or the other. Ed O has done what was needed to get LSU to have one of the most dangerous teams in the nation. If I was Nick or Dabo I would be watching a lot of film on the Tigers.

You will never convince some people. On this board we give our opinions on calls, play selection. Among many others. What I don’t understand is commenting on a person’s intelligence when you never even meet the person. It’s beyond rational

Since I was responding to the claim that I am somehow against keeping an alternate culture alive, I'd say that it does mean jack shirt. Pay attention, please.

the fact that you have Cuban heritage and speak 2 languages does not mean you aren't insulting, and thereby repressing, another culture. It is a strawman argument and has no basis in logic or fact.

it is the type of argument ignorant people use to ignore their moral failures.

the fact that you have Cuban heritage and speak 2 languages does not mean you aren't insulting, and thereby repressing, another culture. It is a strawman argument and has no basis in logic or fact.

it is the type of argument ignorant people use to ignore their moral failures.

What's the strawman I've allegedly built? The charge was made that I'm the same sort of person who attempted to silence another culture and I'm pointing out that as someone who herself shares two cultures, I would never do that. Again, what's the strawman I've constructed?

Football Lady ... people are having a problem with the "bumpkins"remark.

What's the strawman I've allegedly built? The charge was made that I'm the same sort of person who attempted to silence another culture and I'm pointing out that as someone who herself shares two cultures, I would never do that. Again, what's the strawman I've constructed?

again, your background is not a factual or logical argument to you not insulting or suppressing another culture. the two are mutually exclusive. what it does do is make it more reprehensible for you to do so

I am sorry if you can't comprehend that

again, your background is not a factual or logical argument to you not insulting or suppressing another culture. the two are mutually exclusive. what it does do is make it more reprehensible for you to do so

I am sorry if you can't comprehend that

True, it is certainly not deductive proof that I wouldn't do something like that, but that I've lived this experience lends itself to the idea that I would not. I've never once mentioned O's ethnic or cultural background. I am not asking Orgeron to stop being a Cajun because I do not believe that being a Cajun and being a bumpkin are the same. You've got an undistributed middle floating around in there that you should probably address.

True, it is certainly not deductive proof that I wouldn't do something like that, but that I've lived this experience lends itself to the idea that I would not. I've never once mentioned O's ethnic or cultural background. I am not asking Orgeron to stop being a Cajun because I do not believe that being a Cajun and being a bumpkin are the same. You've got an undistributed middle floating around in there that you should probably address.

and you are hiding behind a semantic argument which is pretty much what people do when they don't have facts or logic

and you are hiding behind a semantic argument which is pretty much what people do when they don't have facts or logic

Not at all. I am pointing out the fact that I've never brought up O's culture as a reason for anything. That assumption was made by you and another. You cannot prove what did not happen. You are certainly making a valiant effort to sound like you understand these things, however. For that, I applaud you. I've noticed you've yet to point out the strawman, nor have you addressed the undistributed middle. Perhaps a Google search will let you know what those are.

Not at all. I am pointing out the fact that I've never brought up O's culture as a reason for anything. That assumption was made by you and another. You cannot prove what did not happen. You are certainly making a valiant effort to sound like you understand these things, however. For that, I applaud you. I've noticed you've yet to point out the strawman, nor have you addressed the undistributed middle. Perhaps a Google search will let you know what those are.

the strawman argument was that you would not attack or suppress another culture simply because of your background which I already stated

I understand that facts seem to elude you....such as when you made the statement that CEO wasted 3 years (which I pointed out before and you ignored because obviously admitting you are wrong is beyond your abilities)

Any first year head coach is going to have trouble implementing a system because he has not had an opportunity to recruit players for his system. Again....simple logic

And you claiming his third year is also a waste offensively when we are currently in his third year, have the best offense in college football, and are in the college national playoffs just goes to show the depth of your bias and ignorance of the situation

at this point I will wish you a good day since it is obvious that neither facts or logic will change your opinion

Any first year head coach is going to have trouble implementing a system because he has not had an opportunity to recruit players for his system. Again....simple logic

That's not what logic is.

I have changed my opinion on O. A great deal, as a matter of fact. He has been more than willing to learn from past mistakes and humble enough to allow others to handle the Xs and Os. He is to be commended for that. I didn't think he would be able to and he absolutely has.

the strawman argument was that you would not attack or suppress another culture simply because of your background which I already stated

That's not a strawman. That might be a fallacy of weak induction of another sort, but not a strawman.

Certainly, LSU isn't paying CEO to be a cheerleader on the sidelines or simply be a recruiter. Head coaches do far more than that, even when they delegate game planning and play calling. They hired him to run a football team, and apparently, LSU thinks he's smart enough to do a good job of that.

The comments that it's taken him 3 years to pull this together and the bumpkins quip are absurd and uncalled for. They're also far from true.

But, people see what they want to see, and sometimes refuse to acknowledge that they might be wrong. But whatever. CEO is the head coach and he deserves a lot of credit for putting together a team competing for a national championship. Few people thought that would happen when he was hired, myself included. Glad to be wrong about his hiring and I support him 100%.

CEO is the head coach and he deserves a lot of credit for putting together a team competing for a national championship. Few people thought that would happen when he was hired, myself included. Glad to be wrong about his hiring and I support him 100%.

I completely agree with this. I'm totally glad to have been wrong about the hire.

Certainly, LSU isn't paying CEO to be a cheerleader on the sidelines or simply be a recruiter. Head coaches do far more than that, even when they delegate game planning and play calling.

As far as college head coaches are concerned, they aren't paying him much at all.

He's outside the top 25 salaries for college coaches and his top assistants make more than others in order to keep them around. This is not necessarily a bad thing, to spread the coaching money around in order to keep the Xs and Os guys around to maximize the talent he brings in.

To ask another way, would you give him a Dabo Sweeny or Nick Saban-level contract?

Last edited:
To ask another way, would you give him a Dabo Sweeny ... -level contract?
Dabo Swinney WAS Ed Orgeron several seasons ago. An unpopular hire - a former interim HC to boot - who had never been a coodinator before, coming off of a 6-7 season.

So now, seeing two titles in hindsight, Swinney is known to be worth a huge contract. So ... if Ed Orgeron (coaches playing tennis again) wins a national title ... does he have to win a second win to throw off the "can 't coach" mantle?

Your bar for Orgeron is unfair and way too high. Unless he intentionally takes less, Coach O will be a top-three-highest-paid head coach headed into the 2022 college season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom