How Ed Orgeron outsmarted college football (1 Viewer)

Dabo Swinney WAS Ed Orgeron several seasons ago. An unpopular hire - a former interim HC to boot - who had never been a coodinator before, coming off of a 6-7 season.

So now, seeing two titles in hindsight, Swinney is known to be worth a huge contract. So ... if Ed Orgeron (coaches playing tennis again) wins a national title ... does he have to win a second win to throw off the "can 't coach" mantle?

Your bar for Orgeron is unfair and way too high. Unless he intentionally takes less, Coach O will be a top-three-highest-paid head coach headed into the 2022 college season.

He'd have to have a similar (not perfect) level of success with new assistants for me to think hr can actually gameplan and coach, yes. Crow that I'd be happy to eat.

He'd have to have a similar (not perfect) level of success with new assistants for me to think hr can actually gameplan and coach, yes. Crow that I'd be happy to eat.
Why wouldn't you just credit the new assistants with all the Xs and Os?

During their bowl game, the announcers stated that Tom Herman just hired a new OC that will be handling all playcalling duties

So Tom wont be calling the offense or the defense...guess that makes him a cheerleading bumpkin too

Better than Tom Herman

Welp -- Joe Brady and Dave Aranda are gone.

Does Coach O have to win a second title for you to respect him, or would some solid 10- and 11-win seasons be good enough?

Welp -- Joe Brady and Dave Aranda are gone.

Does Coach O have to win a second title for you to respect him, or would some solid 10- and 11-win seasons be good enough?

Let's hope he can recruit coaches the way he can recruit players. And I do respect his ability to know himself and bring in people to do the actual coaching.

Let's hope he can recruit coaches the way he can recruit players. And I do respect his ability to know himself and bring in people to do the actual coaching.

To say/think he doesn't do actual coaching is ridiculous on it'sface though. He's got all of the responsibilities that come with being a head coach, game management, making sure the right personnel are out there and holding his team and staff accountable are all part of his job description. He's been coaching nearly his entire life, so he's much more than a rah rah guy.

Whether he can have sustained success with a new staff remains to be seen, but honestly, I think he'll be fine. I'm OK with 10-11 win seasons, and hopefully some shots at getting into the playoffs again at some point.

[Orgeron] outside the top 25 salaries for college coaches and his top assistants make more than others in order to keep them around. This is not necessarily a bad thing, to spread the coaching money around in order to keep the Xs and Os guys around to maximize the talent he brings in.

To ask another way, would you give him a Dabo Sweeny or Nick Saban-level contract?
The bolded was correct at the time -- Orgeron was number #30 nationally.

Now he's number 5 according to these Nov 2019 figures. Mistake by LSU?

To be fair ... you're only as good as your last game(?)

How much time does the 2019 title buy Orgeron?

I'm giving him 2 full seasons. But, Bo? Not so much.
I'm trying to find a reason that a * season of Covid and after losing so many players gives Orgeron a pass but not Bo. And yet it's just hard to explain how bad that defense was. Then again, Bo's there because of Oooohhh so it's like the buck should stop at the head coach. I dunno. I just know it's not going to get any better.

I'm trying to find a reason that a * season of Covid and after losing so many players gives Orgeron a pass but not Bo. And yet it's just hard to explain how bad that defense was. Then again, Bo's there because of Oooohhh so it's like the buck should stop at the head coach. I dunno. I just know it's not going to get any better.

Yeah, I get that, but a coaching change isn't always smooth or easy. But Bo's been here before and I expected more out of him. The defense has given up 600 yards twice in 3 games. The defense has been undisciplined and unprepared. The game planning and adjustments have been poor at best and today the defense used a handful of timeouts and it just looked like keystone cops out there.

I figured three games into this, we'd see some improvement, but they seem to be going in the wrong direction.

The offense and special teams seemed fine except for the OL not blocking well at all. So I think there are areas where they're doing alright, but the defense has handed the team 2 losses, Moo State and Mizzou. If it was Bama or Florida or something, that's one thing. But Mizzou and Moo...meh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom