How Ed Orgeron outsmarted college football (1 Viewer)

The offense had four chances to score from the 1-yard line and couldn't do it. Yes, the defense (which Coach O called "better than at any point last season") has been horrid, but the offense had the chance to win the game and couldn't. This is a poorly coached team. The real head coach(es) left and this is what we've got left.

You are seeing it across football (NFL and CFB) scoring and stats are up because with less training camp, defenses have less time to gel and learn how to communicate. If guys in the pros who are paid to play the game, and have a season plus of bonding with teammates are having this problem how do we not expect CFB players who are also juggling school to have this problem x10? This season is rough for defenses (Ole Miss just hung 600+ yards on Bama). You have to give Bo a break. These aren’t the ideal conditions to break in 100 new players on defense. You are going to have bumps along the way, but he will get them there.

You are seeing it across football (NFL and CFB) scoring and stats are up because with less training camp, defenses have less time to gel and learn how to communicate. If guys in the pros who are paid to play the game, and have a season plus of bonding with teammates are having this problem how do we not expect CFB players who are also juggling school to have this problem x10? This season is rough for defenses (Ole Miss just hung 600+ yards on Bama). You have to give Bo a break. These aren’t the ideal conditions to break in 100 new players on defense. You are going to have bumps along the way, but he will get them there.

How did Clemson do it against Miami?

I can understand some of that. But dude, have a man on a wr. On at least 2 TDs there was no one within 20 yards of the receiver. At least Mizzou had defenders around LSU's recievers every time they caught the ball.

I would simplify the defense and man up. Get more pressure on the qb with an extra man in the box. Sure the corners are young and playing man is tough, but they're talented enough to handle those assignments.

I will say this though. Stingley didn't look healthy out there. He probably needed another week to be ready to play a game. He looked slow and was out of position several times during the game.

I will say this though. Stingley didn't look healthy out there. He probably needed another week to be ready to play a game. He looked slow and was out of position several times during the game.
Stingley got injured on the sideline play and could easily be seen running with a limp the rest of the day. Since he was clearly not able to perform, he should have been taken out of the game.

Stingley got injured on the sideline play and could easily be seen running with a limp the rest of the day. Since he was clearly not able to perform, he should have been taken out of the game.

Agreed. Even before that play, he didn't look sharp. But I don't know if that was just the defense playing so bad overall, or him.

Regardless, piss poor coaching effort. The defense looked unprepared and didn't seem to make any adjustments.

Agreed. Even before that play, he didn't look sharp. But I don't know if that was just the defense playing so bad overall, or him.

Regardless, piss poor coaching effort. The defense looked unprepared and didn't seem to make any adjustments.

If only the head coach would have coached.

How did Clemson do it against Miami?
Miami isn’t as good as they are ranked (see LSU’s preseason ranking), but Clemson has had less turnover than probably anyone from coaches to players.

Obviously the defense needs to be dumbed down (these are football players, not rocket surgeons), but I believe Bo didn’t account for just how far behind in the system his players would be. If changes aren’t made in how the system is run against their next opponent, then sure he isn’t appreciating the gravity of his situation and he probably needs to git gone, but I would give him a little more time.

I believe Bo didn’t account for just how far behind in the system his players would be.

Bo? Going into the season, Orgeron said the defense was better than at any time last season. Orgeron is a defensive coach, how is he not lending his expertise? Who hired Pellini? Who okayed the change from 3-4 to 4-3? We can run Bo out on a rail if we want (and probably should) but this all falls on Coach O.

Last edited:
I was behind Coach O a ton last season ... but this is turning into a "Barry Switzer Super Bowl" situation really quickly. Too steep and too sudden a fall.

Orgeron did not get good replacement coaches for the guys who left. End of story.
And Ed will suffer the consequences for not being able to maintain a quality team while having a mountain of talent on the roster. :covri:

Last edited:
I was behind Coach O a ton last season ... but this is turning into a "Barry Switzer Super Bowl" situation really quickly. Too steep and too sudden a fall.

Coach O is finding out that Dave A and Joe Brady type coaches don’t grow on trees. Last year he had a junior heavy team with (arguably) the 2 best coordinators in the country.....I really wanted to see some young, hungry DC that would play to the strength of the players....Bo has to go....

Everyone crying... we lost basically our two main coaches. We lost almost all of our talent to the draft and who was left, decided to sit out for the next draft.

Pelini was a bad decision. The offense is coming together, but it doesn't matter when you can't stop anyone.

Orgeron did not get good replacement coaches for the guys who left. End of story.
And Ed will suffer the consequences for not being able to maintain a quality team while having a mountain of talent on the roster. :covri:

The mountain of talent isnt much of a hill at this point.

The mountain of talent isnt much of a hill at this point.
Folks will always expect more from you when you have a Top 5 recruiting class every year.
It should just be a matter of coaching them up. So far that hasn't happened in any way, shape, or form.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom